First long road trip on the 'Max....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank5079

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I racked up 4k+ on my bike since I got her September of last year.....longest ride was when I picked her up in Louisville and rode her back home to Winchester, roughly 75 miles....

Well this Friday after work, I plan to visit an old Air Force buddy of mine up in Lucas, Ohio. He's about 209 miles away. Really getting psyched about this trip!!!

That's a nice distance. One gas stop to stretch a bit. Sounds like a fun trip.:punk:

^ I agree, I've done quite a few local rides that were 200 miles or more.
A 200 mile ride is a great distance because you can take your time if you want and ride some back roads and still not be exhausted when you get where you're going.

^ I agree, I've done quite a few local rides that were 200 miles or more.
A 200 mile ride is a great distance because you can take your time if you want and ride some back roads and still not be exhausted when you get where you're going.

The longest road trip I have ever taken was on my Suzuki RF900; I had a fully loaded tankbag, tailbag, backpack and pet taxi with cat. I left Tampa, FL at 8am Saturday morning arrived Lexington, at 1230 midnight Sunday......talk about an ironbutt ride!!!

What did the kitty think of the trip??.................:biglaugh:.................Tom.

Funny you should ask....I had duct taped the holes on the sides of the pet taxi and had the door opening facing the rear. I got caught by a couple of squalls in Georgia and at one point was trudging along at 45 mph because the rain was coming down in torrents. When the rains relented, I pulled off at the next rest area. Cat was soaked(and pissed)!!! I forgot about the rooster tail that my back tire had kicked up. I put the leash on his collar(yeah I trained him to walk with a leash), dried him off with some rags. I then took my wet leather jacket and pants off(should have put on my raingear but didn't) and put on some dry clothes. After taking a much needed break(1 hour) I got back on the road and the rest of the trip was relatively dry.....

Sounds like a nice trip for the Vmax. Hiway miles are easy on the Vmax, the small fuel tank can be annoying but for 200 miles one fuel stop is about right.

Sounds like a nice trip for the Vmax. Hiway miles are easy on the Vmax, the small fuel tank can be annoying but for 200 miles one fuel stop is about right.

Yeah, that's the one thing I miss about the RF900, at about 250 miles per tankful(5.5 gals), she was pretty long legged.... :eusa_dance: In all fairness though, the 'Max is a more comfortable ride....

I saw someone's post who did the morely's jet kit, ignition, and I think exhaust.. He claimed he was in the mid 40s to low 50s for his mileage. After buying mine last August, and driving from Co. Springs to Dubuque in one day (two days after purchase) those would have been some nice mods to have!

Mine is completely stock except for the Venture rear end and I get about 44mpg in mixed riding (not hitting V-Boost all the time :biglaugh:). Haven't measured highway only mileage yet.

Damn keeping off v boost going 80 the whole time I was hitting around 26mpg. Going 45 in the mountains I noticed about 40mpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Damn keeping off v boost going 80 the whole time I was hitting around 26mpg. Going 45 in the mountains I noticed about 40mpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The v-boost unit is merely an rpm regulated assembly which opens and closes a passage between the front and rear cylinders located in a tube which connects the front and rear cylinder intake manifolds on each side. THE V-BOOST DOESN’T NOT CHANGE THE METERING OF ANY FUEL. The opening and closing of the v-boost has no effect on your fuel economy, only where the metered fuel can travel. Closed, only the fuel and air mixture from one carb is visible to only one cylinder. Open, and the fuel and air mixture from TWO carbs is visible to each cylinder.

Sent by the Verizon 4G Data Network

I rode from Co. Springs to Dubuque in a day last August right after I bought it, then to Wisconsin the next day. The best I did was about 27MPG, going 80 Mph the whole time. That said I did closer to 40 mpg going through the twisties on HWY 6 in the mountains outside of Denver.

The vboost in and of itself might not control or add fuel use but the act of activating it sure is. Very few of us just gradually roll into it...

Back