Fork Mod.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentmax5

Reaction score
Ok so I have the option,(kinda but not really.....$$$). Talking to my mechanic about redoing front forks and replacing seals,oil and springs.
So my question is......Race tech emulators- or Progressive springs.....and why? the progressive springs are quite a bit cheaper. Is race tech really worth the extra money.....thanks to any and all comments....from the new Vmax Texan......Kentmax5
:ummm:

A different approach-I have the straight-rate Race Tech springs and the RICOR's waiting to be installed. Search on here & google for RICOR info, similar to the Gold Cartridge Emulators.

Since I just went w/radials this past weekend, when I get-around to the work, I expect thast my modded front suspension & radials along w/previously-modded rear suspension of Progressive Suspension shock absorbers should yield quite a different handling dynamic.

You can try the work yourself, not that difficult, plenty of how-to's on all that on here, but if you don't have the tools, place to do the work, or initiative, then a pro may be best.

We now sell Racetech products but have sold many sets of progressives and have had many happy customers.

Sean

Ok so I have the option,(kinda but not really.....$$$). Talking to my mechanic about redoing front forks and replacing seals,oil and springs.
So my question is......Race tech emulators- or Progressive springs.....and why? the progressive springs are quite a bit cheaper. Is race tech really worth the extra money.....thanks to any and all comments....from the new Vmax Texan......Kentmax5
:ummm:
You can do both emulators and springs. You didn't mention Race Tech springs, so the progressive springs to me would be first if I had to pick just one. The rebound stiffness of the springs helps with braking and cornering. The emulators help with dampening. Either is a major improvment over OEM.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Call Race Tech and you get a tech who will ask you questions about you and your bike and how you ride. Their springs are stiffer than you think and I told them I weighed 15 lbs less than I do . Springs were right on and used the gold emulators and their fork oil in my '90. It handles so much better and never had a wobble or issue with 'em.

I recently Installed Progressive Springs, new seals and replaced the fork oil.
The improvement over OEM is astonishing.
I would recommend you try these first and if not satisfied you can always add emulators at a later date.

well as expected.....You guys are on the money. This bike was heavily modded before I bought it......(pic here). So I think for now I will do the Progressive springs and new seals and oil. Plus a front tire. replaced the back tire on the road home. Rode this bike 800 miles in 2 days. bought it late last wednesday. got up thursday morning and left fairview,TN.....rode to Little Rock,AR for the new tire Install. left there friday and was in Houston TX. late friday nite. Thanks again .....be Blessed.....Kent

Attachments

• Ebay vmax1.jpg
    Ebay vmax1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 50
well as expected.....You guys are on the money. This bike was heavily modded before I bought it......(pic here). So I think for now I will do the Progressive springs and new seals and oil. Plus a front tire. replaced the back tire on the road home. Rode this bike 800 miles in 2 days. bought it late last wednesday. got up thursday morning and left fairview,TN.....rode to Little Rock,AR for the new tire Install. left there friday and was in Houston TX. late friday nite. Thanks again .....be Blessed.....Kent

Kent, welcome to the forum! And that is a sharp looking bike and a great starting point! Tastefully put together. I agree with all the above to go with the progressive springs and see what you think, I love mine. This is purely my opinion, but a lowered seat and an inch or two lower rear shocks on that thing would be make it just plain mean! (unless you are a tall feller):
IMAG0299.jpg

With the radial tires that are already on the bike I would suspect that the front already has an aftermarket spring set in there. I'd suggest checking that first and deciding if you need to change after that.

I have Race-Tech springs and emulators. Made a mistake with the spring choice though. Got the 1.0 rate instead of the .95 and the front end is too stiff. I don't weigh enough for the stiffer spring. However the front end is completely different and much better than stock. Had a Progressive spring without emulators on my first Max and like this setup better...

Also had RT springs and emulators on a Suzuki Bandit I had and that was why I put them on my Max instead of the Progressive spring.

The guy who built the bike put the custom rear wheel on and then went with the radial tires.......I told him about the front end issues and he said he bought the bike after the original owner had the fork seals replaced. so pretty sure the forks have stock springs. Got a mechanic in Houston looking at it.....will know more by thursday.

Latest posts

Back