found tools on the road

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
How many of you "brake for lost tools?" I was on my way to work, & at the interstate intersection I saw a silver glint. I saw it was something substantial, and not a trash piece. Traffic was behind me, so I had to loop-around & come back through the intersection, checking for no traffic behind me. I pulled into the median, and grabbed the tool, a 10" Stanley adjustable wrench, none the worse for wear.

How many of you 'mine' the roads and swales for tools, and what have you found?
I could ask about other finds, but thought that since we're gearheads, most of us, I would limit it to that. Also, operable or fixable only, if you fixed it. I don't care about the junk.

Here are some of my finds:
8' fiberglass ladder, A-frame
10' fiberglass ladder, A-frame (required some glass mat/resin to fix a leg split)
16" bar Echo chain saw
two straight claw hammers w/fiberglass handles
large Stanley screwdriver straight tip

I'm sure there is other stuff but I don't recall it at the moment. All the above stuff is still with me & functional. What have you found?

Once when I was out reef diving (free diving, no tanks) south of Ft. Lauderdale FL. I found a toolbox contents in a pile on the ocean floor, about 20' deep. I picked-up everything I could find & used my mesh catch bag to haul it back to shore. I ended dragging it along the sandy bottom because it was so-heavy, using my dive flag lanyard. I got a VSR 3/8" drill which worked after I disassembled & lubed it. A set of Craftsman drill bits in one of their red plastic clamshell cases. A whetstone. Some wood chisels. A pry bar, flat steel. A cold chisel. And some other stuff I can't recall. The stuff wasn't in the water long because the aluminum on the drill wasn't corroded, nor were the steel items.

My buddy who just got a submersible metal detector, the second day he used it, found a 4 oz gold chain and cross. He was walking at the ebb-tide line in about 2' of water. He sold it for $3600. Not really the same thing as I posted, but an interesting find.

So, what have you rescued from the street?

Last edited:
17mm Snap-on Wobble Socket - Pricy item i'm sure
Countless stuff of my own that would be forgotten about left on the car/truck.

Can't remember what else at the moment but I know bunjie straps and tie downs all the time.

Recently I ran over something in the road that bounced up and made a hell of a noise under my car. I turned around and went back to see what I had ran over and found it to be an almost new looking 17MM Craftsman wrench. Over the years I have picked up 3 ice chest, a 6ft ladder and a weed eater all in fairly new condition. My best find was a antique looking tire break down tool that I use when changing the tires on my Vmax. It must have been used on model T's or some of the very old cars, it's perfect for motorcycle tires and ATV tires also........

I just recalled the water find included a Craftsman 1/4" socket set in a grey blow-molded plastic case. That's probably the tool I use the most out of that lot. After years of use, I had to replace the ratchet, thank-you Sears tool warranty!

Stihl Gasoline cut off saw flew out of truck side lock box going around a corner right in front of me, a complete socket set named "Evolve"? without a piece missing. A guy (pedestrian) threw a set of large Vise Grips at my car because I tried to clip him because he crossed against the crosswalk light. Pliers skipped along right outside my drivers doors door so I slowed down as it slowed down, jumped out, grabbed them and took off. Guy never had a chance!
I once was using my new boxed racheting wrench on a back bumper taking off old CB antennae. Lost it for about a year and found it up under the bumper just a little bit rustler. I must be living right.
Oh, took my 82 Chrysler New Yorker to a shop for "no start" condition and got back the news of blown motor. Put in a new fuel pump and drove it five years with no problem. Was happy to get his Snap On commercial electronic engine analyzer left on top of the motor. Thank you very much!

I still use the brand new 1/2" drive torque wrench someone lost on Christmas day back in the late 80's.

And one night, some drunk ran off into our ditch in front of the house, obliterated our mailbox, while depositing his entire tool box onto my lawn. Untold open end wrenches and 1/4" drive ratchet, sockets & attachments that morning - more than paid for the price of a new mailbox & post.

Oh, took my 82 Chrysler New Yorker to a shop for "no start" condition and got back the news of blown motor. Put in a new fuel pump and drove it five years with no problem. Was happy to get his Snap On commercial electronic engine analyzer left on top of the motor. Thank you very much!

And one night, some drunk ran off into our ditch in front of the house, obliterated our mailbox, while depositing his entire tool box onto my lawn. Untold open end wrenches and 1/4" drive ratchet, sockets & attachments that morning - more than paid for the price of a new mailbox & post.

Those 2 are great!

Absolutely 'mine' the blacktop for tools, scores include:
-snap-on 3/8" ratchet
-ball peen hammer
-linesman pliers
-stripper/crimper pliers
-bunch of insulation
-handfuls of change....don't recall how much but maybe $6 or $8
-trimmed cedar nursery bush with roots wrapped in canvas
-pickax...found the owner and returned this, everything else I kept! :biglaugh:

I have picked up a few things through the years. I rememeber the very first thing was a 6" gear puller one of them 3 jaw ones. I think I was in Jr high and walking to the bus and noticed it in the road. I dashed right over there picked it up. I rememeber all the girls thinking what a freak LOL. I quickly ran it home to the garage which was just one block over. Trucker straps , 3 ratcheting chain binders , new cresent brand channel locks. Amongst other items throughout the years. oh there was one thing that I tried to get my buddie to help me out and he was not interested. We went through this intersection and not a soul insight and guess what was in the middle of the road..... a 3 foot diameter power trowel for finishing concrete slabs and floors. Guessing a good $2,500 piece of machinery right there. He wasn't nterested in helping me throw it in the back of the truck. DANG!

G

Stihl Gasoline cut off saw flew out of truck side lock box going around a corner right in front of me, a complete socket set named "Evolve"? without a piece missing. A guy (pedestrian) threw a set of large Vise Grips at my car because I tried to clip him because he crossed against the crosswalk light. Pliers skipped along right outside my drivers doors door so I slowed down as it slowed down, jumped out, grabbed them and took off. Guy never had a chance!
I once was using my new boxed racheting wrench on a back bumper taking off old CB antennae. Lost it for about a year and found it up under the bumper just a little bit rustler. I must be living right.

I would throw that anyalzer away obviously it doesn't work worth a crap! :rofl_200:

I live on a curve in the road. People work on their cars and then forget and leave the tools lying on the bumpers or under the hood. As they drive around my curve, the tools are dislodged by gravity and end up at the end of my driveway.....all I do is walk out and pick them up!

If that guy wouldn't help you w/the 'helicopter,' I'd dump his ass on the side of the road & leave him standing! "Nobody rides free!" Opportunity is when it presents itself.

I have picked up a few things through the years. I rememeber the very first thing was a 6" gear puller one of them 3 jaw ones. I think I was in Jr high and walking to the bus and noticed it in the road. I dashed right over there picked it up. I rememeber all the girls thinking what a freak LOL. I quickly ran it home to the garage which was just one block over. Trucker straps , 3 ratcheting chain binders , new cresent brand channel locks. Amongst other items throughout the years. oh there was one thing that I tried to get my buddie to help me out and he was not interested. We went through this intersection and not a soul insight and guess what was in the middle of the road..... a 3 foot diameter power trowel for finishing concrete slabs and floors. Guessing a good $2,500 piece of machinery right there. He wasn't nterested in helping me throw it in the back of the truck. DANG!

G

I live on a curve in the road. People work on their cars and then forget and leave the tools lying on the bumpers or under the hood. As they drive around my curve, the tools are dislodged by gravity and end up at the end of my driveway.....all I do is walk out and pick them up!

Did you post about this phenomenon before? That sounds awfully-familiar!:biglaugh:

Gannon's story about leaving the power trowel behind reminded me of something I had to leave on the road....a Caterpillar radiator, probly from a dozer, laying right smack in the middle of a back country road. Visions of handsome scrap value were dancing in my head as I backed my truck up and jumped out to throw it in the back.

I couldn't even budge the thing, it musta weighed a half ton....maybe more....would have brought a good buck at the scrap yard! :damn angry:

Gannon's story about leaving the power trowel behind reminded me of something I had to leave on the road....a Caterpillar radiator, probly from a dozer, laying right smack in the middle of a back country road. Visions of handsome scrap value were dancing in my head as I backed my truck up and jumped out to throw it in the back.

I couldn't even budge the thing, it musta weighed a half ton....maybe more....would have brought a good buck at the scrap yard! :damn angry:

Drag it off the road w/the vehicle & the chain you always carry, & come back & get it!:punk:

Next house I buy is on the outside of a curve but far away from the road! Not sure if the analyzer I got was faulty or the honesty of the shop was at fault concerning my Chrysler. I had no idea how to operate the darn thing anyway and ended up giving it away to a mechanic buddy that said a truck that brings tool to him could get him the manual. Pre Craigslist and easy Internet search for the info. I forgot to mention the chopsaw I picked up was while on the Max and I put it on my lap to work where I realized I scratched the shit out of my airbox cover. It more than covered the new spray job!

Back