Front brake rotors - which years are interchangeable?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
Did a search but didn't turn up what I was looking for.

What front brake rotors will swap? For example, I would assume 85-96 to swap, right? I know they changed things in the later years, but what's the most recent model front rotors I can put on my '85 (excluding aftermarket, for now)?

What front brake rotors will swap? For example, I would assume 85-96 to swap, right? I know they changed things in the later years, but what's the most recent model front rotors I can put on my '85 (excluding aftermarket, for now)?

'85-'92 are all the same and '93-'07 are all the same.

You can also pic up Galfer wave rotors fairly inexpensively from Wild Bros. The old style are much cheaper than the ones for 93 and up forks.

Or you can get the adapters from me, newer Vmax (93 up) or R1 rotors (99 up to not sure on year - cheap on ebay), and huyabusa calipers (uo to 07) and have way better brakes then before for about the same as buying two rotors for the old setup (maybe less if you score good on ebay)!

Sean

Sean, I PM'd you.

I can't call white buffalo yet today but didn't see the rotors or prices.... what's the least expensive set of rotors that they sell for the '85 Max?

Sean, I PM'd you.

I can't call white buffalo yet today but didn't see the rotors or prices.... what's the least expensive set of rotors that they sell for the '85 Max?

The Galfer's are pretty cheap and work with stock stuff. I have full Galfer with EBC HH pads on my Max and they work great!

Sean's idea is great but takes a bit more work.

Or you can get the adapters from me, newer Vmax (93 up) or R1 rotors (99 up to not sure on year - cheap on ebay), and huyabusa calipers (uo to 07) and have way better brakes then before for about the same as buying two rotors for the old setup (maybe less if you score good on ebay)!

Sean

Any year hyabusa calipers will work? and they will work with r1 rotors? th rotors and calipers bolt right up? do I need your adapters for them to work??

thanks for the info:punk:

I have this same setup on my '85. Thanks to Sean, it makes an amazing difference compared to stock. You won't be disappointed.

Cool! I can't wait for better brakes. I have an 07' max...the setup is going to be different from an 85' i'm guessing. did you change your master cylinder too? actually what exactly did you do?

I need to clarify - the adapters I make are for the 85-92 front forks. The bolt spacing and offset are considerably different on the 93 and up. I might look into what it takes later in the year to do the conversion but since the r1's/r6's are a direct bolt on for those years there is no reason to make the adapters (in my opinion). Just get the R1 calipers and a set of braided brake lines and if desired a set of FJR mastercylinders (not really needed but do work well too).

Sean

Cool! I can't wait for better brakes. I have an 07' max...the setup is going to be different from an 85' i'm guessing. did you change your master cylinder too? actually what exactly did you do?
Your best/cheapest bet is to swap out the wood brake pads for some EBC HH pads and get some real fork springs installed. Makes a hell of a difference.

Your best/cheapest bet is to swap out the wood brake pads for some EBC HH pads and get some real fork springs installed. Makes a hell of a difference.
I can attest to these changes making a huge difference! It makes the front end work more like it should. I used the progressive lowering springs (2"), 15 wt. oil, and just replaced the stock brake pads with HH pads. No more diving and lurching through corners, no need to hit the brakes to set the front tire for cornering. If you have to brake in the corner, no problem now.
The added benefit with lowering the forks 2" is that my Vmax now looks "right". :punk:

my Vmax now looks "right". :punk:

Sorry... are you talking about your bike or your signature/avatar pics? :biglaugh:

I am still trapped at work, not around the phone. Anyone know offhand what the whitebuffalo rotors are going for pricewise?

I need to clarify - the adapters I make are for the 85-92 front forks. The bolt spacing and offset are considerably different on the 93 and up. I might look into what it takes later in the year to do the conversion but since the r1's/r6's are a direct bolt on for those years there is no reason to make the adapters (in my opinion). Just get the R1 calipers and a set of braided brake lines and if desired a set of FJR mastercylinders (not really needed but do work well too).

Sean

What years of R1 and what years of FJR?

Sorry... are you talking about your bike or your signature/avatar pics? :biglaugh:

I am still trapped at work, not around the phone. Anyone know offhand what the whitebuffalo rotors are going for pricewise?

115 or so for the smaller pre-'93.

Back