Front Fork fluid levels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax2extreme

Reaction score
I have a 2005 vmax that I just lowered 1" with the progressive kit. I have heard that they newer forks take 20.9oz of fork oil, but everywhere I read state 15.3oz in the service manuals. What is the proper amount of fork oil and actually whats the proper measuring technique used to assure proper levels? I am dropping in the ricor intimidators too with the progressive springs with it being lowered internally 1". Any advice/help is greatly appreciated since I was told only a quart of oil per tube shoud be sufficient when purchasing from ricor.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I wouldn't go by the oz. I would go by fluid level. I don't know the #'s off hand but its in the manual. Basically, you compress the fork and have all internals in place MINUS the spring and measure from the top of the fork tube down to the top of the fluid. You can use a syringe with a piece of tubing or a turkey baster to remove excess fluid. Just mark the syringe or baster on the side with a piece of tape or something so you know how far to insert it into the fork.

its going to be closer to the 20.9 oz #. That 15.x was for first gen forks.

just measure from the top (IIRC its 141mm or something) and don't worry about the exact fluid oz like mike said.

Ok, your correct. The 15.3 was for the 85-92 vmax with 40mm forks. The 93 or new, 43mm is 621cc ~ 21oz and level at 123mm ~ 4.8" per the service manual at a local yamaha dealer.

So filling the tubes without springs, does that mean if I am installing the RICOR intimidators, they must be dropped in prior to measuring?

Also, when I put the dampening rod bolt back on, I didnt use the blue locktite, should I go back and re-set them with locktite?

Thanks guys,

Mike

Garrett...do you mean the early model 40mm forks? '85 - '92

indeed. my bad.

Ok, your correct. The 15.3 was for the 85-92 vmax with 40mm forks. The 93 or new, 43mm is 621cc ~ 21oz and level at 123mm ~ 4.8" per the service manual at a local yamaha dealer.

So filling the tubes without springs, does that mean if I am installing the RICOR intimidators, they must be dropped in prior to measuring?

Also, when I put the dampening rod bolt back on, I didnt use the blue locktite, should I go back and re-set them with locktite?

Thanks guys,

Mike

yea 123 rings a bell. i marked it on a turkey baster and did it that way. no way it was to the mm. but i bet i was 120-125 and just tired to make them even.

i'd leave the intimidators in, as per their directions. as it will displace the volume and take up the difference.

I would go back and put loctite on it if it were me.

+1 to Garrett. Put the loctite on. Better safe than sorry! And yes, drop the intiminators in but leave the spring out while measuring the fluid.

whats the best way to add air to the forks? aircompressor or hand pump?

whats the best way to add air to the forks? aircompressor or hand pump?

Best is to upgrade springs and oil and do not run any air at all.

If your sticking with stock and want to run air I would suggest a hand pump and not go over the recommended PSI in the manual. I think the max is around 14PSI or so.

I took off the dampner bolts to apply loctite and then torqued them back with the air gun. As I said if you run stock, you need the low psi pump by progressive. I need to list my up for sale here now. I always kept about 10psi when I did keep air. NO MORE!!!

I don't ever use air. it is a band-aid and only serves to aerate the fluid. When I got my first Vmax years ago some joker had put in 50lbs of air in it!!!

Sean

Nah, they held up until I figured it out. It did wheelie easier!

Sean

Best is to upgrade springs and oil and do not run any air at all.

If your sticking with stock and want to run air I would suggest a hand pump and not go over the recommended PSI in the manual. I think the max is around 14PSI or so.

I'm installing seals right now and using a n actual Yamaha overhaul manual . it states 5.7 - 14. psi and the lower the better.

Back