Front tire bounce at 60 then 80mph

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allaraine

Reaction score
I just put on a new set of tires and I have noticed that at 60mph and then again at 80mph the tire starts to bounce terribly. I have to slow down ( can't get to 140mph)
What could cause this. Bad tire? The shop that I bought the tires from said it could be the front forks. Need rebuilt? What are your thoughts?

define 'bounce' do a neck bearing bounce test as well. do you trust the shop? what type of tire?

Did not bounce with old tires. Even got up to 140 with old tires.
They balanced the tires also. Have had them on for 2 weeks now.
Not high speed wobble, it actually bounces the tire off the ground.

The tire actually bounces, slightly off the ground. They are Michelin Commander II Cruiser tires. Front and back.

They either done a poor job of balancing them or the tire is not seated on the rim properly. I would take the bike back and tell them you did not have this problem before they installed these tires and there is nothing wrong with your front end of the bike. They may have sold you a tire out of round, ask them to rebalance and do a run out on tire for roundness (runout).

They either done a poor job of balancing them or the tire is not seated on the rim properly. I would take the bike back and tell them you did not have this problem before they installed these tires and there is nothing wrong with your front end of the bike. They may have sold you a tire out of round, ask them to rebalance and do a run out on tire for roundness (runout).
Doing so tonight. I called and they said they would look at it tonight. Thanks everyone.

Might be an idea to bring it to another shop afterwards before you bring her up too speed. Depending on what they say.
Obviously, wear all your gear anyhow..

The tire actually bounces, slightly off the ground. They are Michelin Commander II Cruiser tires. Front and back.

What size is that tire? I went to the Michelin website and the only 18 inch front tire in that model is a 130/70B18 63H.

My last front tire did this, I switched to a Pirelli sport demon front tire and have been astonished about theiimprovement. Got a Pirelli night Dragon rear tire. My bike has never handled better.

I'm gonna say it's out of balance. If it was out of round you would probably notice before you hit 60.
60 is also about the right speed for unbalanced wheels to start to become obvious.
Hope they treated you well!

Latest posts

Back