Fuel From the Vent tubes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ RJ RJ

Reaction score
Hey Boys

06 vmax, starts fine, and runs, but one of the four vent hoses has a stream of fuel shooting from it that would make beer night look wimpy.... i figure its either float bowl float is jammed or the needle dirty, but im not sure.
I don't WANT to do a whole carb rebuild and was thinking Shotgun but i dont see anyone with a similar symptom using th shotgun. Any advice for quick resolution?

Maybe the float is stuck, try to give it a few tap, taps on the float area of that carb and it might un-stick.

Thanks....ill try and let you know...tonight.

Ever seen this happen before?

Never saw it, only heard of it.

If that don't work I'd say drain that float and open it up and have a look see at what's going on in there.

Was the bike running good then all of the sudden, el gas o' rama?

06' is damn new to need a rebuild. IMHO.

Ya i agree....too new for anything to go like that.... gum from bad fuel just couldnt take effect that fast...i think something in the tank would be handled by the filter...soo...... water? or float...

Anyway she ran like a bear all summer....

um,

that last statement you made sounds like its been sitting all winter.

Is this the first time you have fired it up this spring?

no, in fact i fired it up many times during the winter...i have a heated garage...

Rj Are you sure it is not one of the bowel drain hoses leaking?If it is it would just need the screw tightened on the carb by the hose.

ya i wish it was...haha

Nope, its the hoses screwed to the top ,side of the airbox...in the shotgun description, they are referred to as "overflow" tubes...

The stream of gas coming out of this puppy will fill a coffee cup in about a minute.....

Thanks for helping, man

Ya tap the bowl.I would drain it a few times too and see as a last resort take the carbs off and tear into that one.Do you have a way to resync them after re-installing the rack?Its good to check the sync every time they have been removed.

yes i will try that .... i REALLY dont wanna pull a carb off a bike thats only got like 4000klm on it, ...........like you said gotta sync it and what not after..... id love to just shoot some cleaner through it and work it loose.... maybe il drain the float and shoot some seafoam or cleaner up there and then tighten and run....

Well everyones opinion is good... thanks.

I will tinker away with all these suggestions and see what happens.....

I would put that bowl drain hose into a bottle,open the drain,turn the key on and let the fuel pump fill the bottle.Try this a few times.

not a bad idea shawn but that may not dislodge the crap in the needle and seat assembly (stuck float). You may need to disconnect the fuel line and spray some cleaner and a small amount of compressed air into the line towards the carbs. This is going to spray fuel out of the vents (overflows) so you will want to drain all the carbs first (on the side of the carb body's) to get the leakage decreased a bit. Tapping the carb body can help get it broken loosed from the seat (or seal). With the carbs full of fuel the seat is under pressure and dislodging the debris is difficult if not impossible so that carb needs drained too so the float will hang and open the seat.

Good luck,
Sean

Too much pressure and the float wire will come off....been there, done that. No wire, and float will not shut the needle off.

Well guys im home from work and deep in there...ran he with the air box off and i see fuel coming out the top of the carb too...the smaller of the two holes with the brass fitting in it....i drained the bowl and am going to try a bit of everything..... what CAN i hurt with compressed air in here?

That would be the main jet air bleed.......

God i hate carbs....i stopped playing with holly double pumpers 20 years ago...haha....

Well guys im home from work and deep in there...ran he with the air box off and i see fuel coming out the top of the carb too...the smaller of the two holes with the brass fitting in it....i drained the bowl and am going to try a bit of everything..... what CAN i hurt with compressed air in here?
I had the same problems after rebuilding my carbs(leaking out of the overflow and the hole on top). I took the carbs off and accidentally dropped them on the garage floor, but that fixed the stuck float. I did get the float bowl loose enough to spray some carb cleaner in that carb while they were on the bike though. Maybe you could try that :ummm:

Back