Fuel range question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank5079

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be picking up my new bike tomorrow(2000 VMax); my last ride was a 1994 Suzuki RF900. Long story short, when my low fuel light in my RF900 would come on it would start to shudder necessitating the switch of the petcock to the reserve position. I decided to bypass the petcock altogether and just use the low fuel light. From fill up to near empty my range on 5.5 gallons was approx. 225 to 250 miles.

What is the average range in miles on a 'Max from fill-up to empty??

Thanks, Frank

I will be picking up my new bike tomorrow(2000 VMax); my last ride was a 1994 Suzuki RF900. Long story short, when my low fuel light in my RF900 would come on it would start to shudder necessitating the switch of the petcock to the reserve position. I decided to bypass the petcock altogether and just use the low fuel light. From fill up to near empty my range on 5.5 gallons was approx. 225 to 250 miles.

What is the average range in miles on a 'Max from fill-up to empty??

Thanks, Frank

MPG varies wildly between different bikes and riding styles. Without changing anything but riding style I've gotten as low as 32MPG and as high as 41MPG. The vmax has a 4 gallon tank.

"LOW" fuel indicator light should come on with approx .8 gallons in reserve, then you have to flip the electrical switch on the handlebars over to reserve, or the fuel pump is going to shut off in a mile or so, maybe less.

You will be lucky to get half the range you got with the Suzuki. I get good mileage (approx 44 mpg) but I drive reasonably and have the Venture rear end.

My 94 with a Dyna Ignition and mods, set on the mildest curve gets 42-43.
My Mystery Modded (By PO) 89 is TOTALLY AWESOME to ride but gets about 32 mpg.

I'm getting around 33mpg with Woona, but then again, I do like to ride her like I stole her
pinkiehappy.png

I get between 30 and 38 mpg depending on how I ride on any given day.

I just got in from riding, I get around 32 miles to the gallon. When I get to 80 miles I all ways stop and get gas to be safe. Any 1 no on average what's the range out of full tank of gas on a vmax.

Originally Posted by jagco1
I just got in from riding, I get around 32 miles to the gallon. When I get to 80 miles I all ways stop and get gas to be safe. Any 1 no on average what's the range out of full tank of gas on a vmax.

Yup that's about right jagco; I rode from Louisville KY, back home and reset my trip odo. With approx 100 miles on the clock the low fuel light kicked on, so I refilled and it took 3.1 gals of fuel. Of course I was a little heavy-handed and saw 90mph at the interstate a few times. :) Safe bet to say that refueling stops should be done at or around 100 to 115 miles, 120 tops.

After the honeymoon ride yesterday, I love my 'Max....too bad I'm in for some crappy riding weather this week.... :(

Back