Future of shopping...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
So Amazon opened their first cashier-less store today. The company I work for has been testing this tech as well for a few years, but more from a marketing perspective. This could be where retail shopping will be headed.

1> Long term it will lower costs (fewer employees).
2> With the data that is collected from all of us, it will use the tech to market you while you're in the store. So for example, if you've bought an IPA beer in a previous trip and the next trip you're just in there to get some milk, the app will might let you know there's an IPA on the beer isle on sale. Ultimately replacing those coupon flyers you get in your snail mail.

We know how cut-throat the retail business is. By eliminating employee costs this could allow Amazon to lower the prices of their goods that would be incredibly difficult for a standard grocery store to compete. I mean we all saw how Wal-Mart eliminated A LOT of retail/grocery stores during their spread.

Wal-Mart/Sams has been laying off a lot of people recently and I wonder if it's ultimately as a result to the market share Amazon is taking more and more of each quarter.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...hier-less-seattle-grocery-opens-to-the-public

As you already know, Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes have been doing it for years now.
I always go to the few remaing cahsiers on duty if I have to go to these stores.
Even if it takes longer.
My Local ShopRite will have 10 to 15 cashiers working with NO cashier-less lanes.
It's nice to see.

Yep....I WONT go to the self check out at walmart. I have gone there and then taken my stuff and dumped it off, because there wasnt a check out person.

As you already know, Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes have been doing it for years now.
I always go to the few remaing cahsiers on duty if I have to go to these stores.
Even if it takes longer.
My Local ShopRite will have 10 to 15 cashiers working with NO cashier-less lanes.
It's nice to see.

Actually this is quite different. There is no "check out" at all.

As you put products in your cart they are automatically added to you Amazon virtual cart, and your account is charged as you exit the store.

Actually this is quite different. There is no "check out" at all.

As you put products in your cart they are automatically added to you Amazon virtual cart, and your account is charged as you exit the store.

Exactly. You highlighted the big distinction. Many shoppers are resistant to the self serve check out for obvious reasons. But since this eliminates even going through a checkout entirely -- that's a convenience many will welcome and will be hard to resist. I know I'd love it.

This would be a easy way to shop and do business. It may not suit the "regular" shopper but those who embrace technology will find it to their liking, I'm guessing.

So Amazon opened their first cashier-less store today. The company I work for has been testing this tech as well for a few years, but more from a marketing perspective. This could be where retail shopping will be headed.

1> Long term it will lower costs (fewer employees).
2> With the data that is collected from all of us, it will use the tech to market you while you're in the store. So for example, if you've bought an IPA beer in a previous trip and the next trip you're just in there to get some milk, the app will might let you know there's an IPA on the beer isle on sale. Ultimately replacing those coupon flyers you get in your snail mail.

We know how cut-throat the retail business is. By eliminating employee costs this could allow Amazon to lower the prices of their goods that would be incredibly difficult for a standard grocery store to compete. I mean we all saw how Wal-Mart eliminated A LOT of retail/grocery stores during their spread.

Wal-Mart/Sams has been laying off a lot of people recently and I wonder if it's ultimately as a result to the market share Amazon is taking more and more of each quarter.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...hier-less-seattle-grocery-opens-to-the-public

Will it count the stuff you stick up your sleeve or down your pants too? :rofl_200:

Oh I like technology just not too fond of stuff that takes away jobs.
I know that these are mostly entry level...but a job nonetheless.

Oh I like technology just not too fond of stuff that takes away jobs.
I know that these are mostly entry level...but a job nonetheless.

Very true. Unfortunately, that's the future. But not just for entry-level jobs. As we all know corporations/companies got big tax cuts. And many are taking that money and re-investing it new technology/automation which will ultimately lead to more jobs going away. And not just entry level. Many factories will be getting upgraded with more automation. The advances being made in artificial intelligence is getting scary. Which means jobs we might once thought weren't at risk for being replaced by automation are now on the radar.

I just read that Huggies, even though they made 3 billion in operating profits, are planning to layoff roughly 13% of its workforce(about 5,500 employees) after such restructure/upgrades. And the company I work for is doing the same. A lot of "water cooler talk" expressing concern over possible layoffs. And with the way technology by its very nature advances faster exponentially, I worry that re-training for people will fall behind compared to how fast automation evolves and causes layoffs.

We all know what sort of impact factories have on the local communities and particularly how those local communities struggle when those factories close. So it's heartbreaking to hear when a company whose making billions in profits talk about closing factories. I understand from the business side, but it doesn't minimize the empathy I feel for those folks who are going to lose their jobs.

Back