Got my carbs back from Sean, need advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eagle, I see a gap between the boot and the lower carb ridge. It doesn't look like they are 100% seated. Loosen all four upper boot clamps, put one hand on top of the other and push on the top of each carb with full weight.

+1 your carbs don't look seated. I had to push pretty good to get mine back in.

Now use as you are sitting on the bike left side and right side

left front cylinder which hose Cyl #2

left rear cylinder Which hose Cyl #1

Right front cylinder which hose Cyl #4

right rear cylinder which hose Cyl #3

When you explain how to sync please use the left side screw and the right side front screw and right side rear screw and of course the idle screw.

Ron

The screw on the left will bring in cyls 1 and 2 in sync. Get them close as you can then blip the throttle.

The screw that is to the rear on the right side of the bike (it will be the left screw if your looking at it directly) will sync in cyls 3 and 4. again get them as close as possible and blip the throttle.

The screw that is to the front of the right side of the bike (it will be the right screw if your looking ar it directly) will sync both cyls 3 and 4 with cyls 1 and 2.
Get them as close as possible and blip the throttle.

Turn the screws slowly when you bring the carbs into sync.

I have always played with the sync then set the idle afterwards to keep it around 1000-1200 rpm.

There are ribs in the rubber boots that fit in grooves in the carb body. Does anyone ever use sylicone grease (the stuff for o-rings) to help the rack slide in the boots?

Seems like you would be better able to feel those ribs fitting inside the grooves if the grease is no problem.

Anybody ever do this?

beavis.jpg

Eagle, I see a gap between the boot and the lower carb ridge. It doesn't look like they are 100% seated. Loosen all four upper boot clamps, put one hand on top of the other and push on the top of each carb with full weight.

Thanks Mark, and everyone else who replied.

OK this morning I was out there at 6 Am took my airbox off and realized that indeed the carbs were not seated all the way.

I unscrewed the upper allen screws on all 4 carbs, I pushed every carb all the way down and then tightened the allen screws again.

Here are some pictures and I hope they look better.

Right Rear

right_rear.jpg

Right Front

right_front.jpg

These are the left side and they look seated well but in the pictures they don't look as seated but I think that is because of the bike leaning to the left and the angle of the picture that was taken.

Left Rear

left_rear.jpg

Left Front

left_front.jpg

Do these look better ?? hopefully once it gets into the mid morning I can get the bike outside and fire it up again and this time it will go much easier.

Because I was adjusting the carbs when they were not seated all the way do I just start from the first readings and start adjusting or is there a better way.

Thanks again
Ron

There are ribs in the rubber boots that fit in grooves in the carb body. Does anyone ever use sylicone grease (the stuff for o-rings) to help the rack slide in the boots?

Seems like you would be better able to feel those ribs fitting inside the grooves if the grease is no problem.

Anybody ever do this?

i have used wd40 before. i had a 85 v65 that was totall butthole:rofl_200:
the wd40 helped ALOT!!

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: I love to start the day with a good laugh...thanks KJ!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

i have used wd40 before. i had a 85 v65 that was totall butthole:rofl_200:
the wd40 helped ALOT!!

Seems like everyone puts them in dry, I'm thinking a lube of some sort would have to help.

(More material there KJ!! :rofl_200:)

Ron...there ya go, they look MUCH better. You should have better luck today! :clapping:

No need for lube!

Note the casting on the left front and right rear pics (seen right above the screw heads of the boot clamps). There is the same casting on all 4. This casting usually is what we use as the stop. Once it touches the rubber boot then you are on. In this case it looks like you are seated and ready to go.

Sean

looks great ron, i bet everyting will fall into place today once u have to fix all the weird settings u came up with yesterday from the carbs not being seated.

Any suggestions on where to start? Do I just go from whatever reading I start out with?

Any suggestions on where to start? Do I just go from whatever reading I start out with?

might as well without knowing where your screws are set now. remember baby steps.. don't worry about 3/4 at first just focus on the 1/2 synch.. then worry about synching 3 to 4.... break it into little pieces. glad to hear it looks like it should work out for ya.. keep us updated!

Make sure the bike is warm before finalizing sync.

If I see the left side gauges way different than the right side I start with the right-front sync screw. Otherwise, start with left carbs and blip the throttle. Next, right carbs with right-rear sync screw...blip. Sometimes, the left reading will change so recheck and adjust if necessary. You see, the sync linkages are really hokie and it's easy to get the carbs out of sync...especially if you really like whacking the throttle wide open.

Ron, this will come as NO consolation to you however I do want to say THANKS! You are posting all the questions that I would/will be asking when I attempt this the first time. I for one certainly appreciate the time and effort!!

Thanks Again! Keep us posted!!!

Thanks Shane, but the real thanks goes to all the guys who helped me.....

especially if you really like whacking the throttle wide open.

:rofl_200: I have rode my bike maybe 2 hours since I bought it in May... Thanks to the dealership and then another shop, I had to send my carbs to Sean to fix and I could have got the carbs back sooner but he was doing my seat too so I couldn't ride anyways.......lol

Once this is done I plan to ride and ride....

Thanks
Ron

OK Guys,

I sure hope I am done with this, it went a lot easier although I wasn't able to get the 3rd cylinder on the same line as the other three but pretty damn close.

You might have to replay this a few times because it's a short video.

For some reason the video on YouTube isn't as clear as the one I have on my computer but I think you'll get the idea..

God I hope this is right..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVzhqN2D63o

Thanks to all

Ron

OK Guys,

I sure hope I am done with this, it went a lot easier although I wasn't able to get the 3rd cylinder on the same line as the other three but pretty damn close.

For some reason the video on YouTube isn't as clear as the one I have on my computer but I think you'll get the idea..

Thanks to all

Ron

Looks good to me :clapping:, When I sync'ed I didn't go perfect stright line. but was pretty close. Then again I'm not particulary a perfectionist either. I didn't want to spend anymore time and I thought I was close enough.

Now get out there and ride :punk: The road misses you :auto182:

looks pretty good man! congrads! hahah.... after u get the exhaust on u will probably wanna do it again...

when they are way out of synch you'll notice when they become in synch as all of a sudden your idle speed will jump. first time i did mine i put it right at 1k and by the end we were idling at about 1400-1600..

OK Guys,

Thanks to all

Ron

Looks good to me Ron...nice job!! :clapping:

Now go for a ride!!

danny

It's Finished !!!!

First of all I want to thank every last one of you who have helped me though this whole process. In case you didn't read my other threads, I bought this 2007 VMAX in May and bought one of Seans jet kit, I brought to the local Yamaha dealership and they screwed my carbs up big time. I brought it to another shop and they added to the problem, Sean told me to send him my carbs and he would fix them and test them on his 2005 so I sent them to him.

I've be unable to ride my bike with the exception of when I drove it home from buying it and maybe 2 hours before the dealership got ahold of it. I sent my seat in to have Sean do it so I was in no hurry for my carbs because I couldn't ride until I got my seat anyways.

Sean fixed my carbs and didn't charge me a thing !! THANK YOU SEAN

He sent back my seat and the carbs and you guys helped me get it back together.. I just rode it to get gas and to a park to take some pictures of it before I start my next project, that's installing my new Mark's exhaust, My New Seat from Sean ( I installed that today and for the few minutes I rode it I can already feel the difference,) my ass wasn't numb when I got home....... :rofl_200:

I also got some chrome from Sean and I will be putting that on and possibly going back to stock blinkers, I have the little ones and the wife said the other day she didn't even see them when she was following me.

Here is what my bike looks like today after I finished putting it back together.

finished.jpg

Here is a video of the bike still with my UFO exhaust, this will be the last time you'll hear them on my bike I'm too old... lol for that open header like sound..​

Thanks again guys I appreciate everyones help more than I can express..​

Ron​

Back