Got my carbs back from Sean, need advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so I should re-connect the V-Boost to sync my carbs, is this the V-Boost connector,

boost.jpg

After syncing is it hard to get the V-Boost disconnected at the right point so it is open full??

Thanks
Ron

nope, as far as i know u just have that panel off and turn the key and get used to how it does the self check then unplug when its opened at the most, or turn the key off and unplug it...

I get a kick out of your guys, I know you are trying to help me but when I ask more than one question 9 out of 10 times someone picks one question to answer. garrett I assume you reply is about disconnecting it again after I sync, I still need to know if the connectors I have arrows pointing to is the V-Boost connector?

thanks
Ron

That one or the one right next to it will work. The round plug goes from the controller to the motor. The flat white one goes from the harness to the controller.

I get a kick out of your guys, I know you are trying to help me but when I ask more than one question 9 out of 10 times someone picks one question to answer. garrett I assume you reply is about disconnecting it again after I sync, I still need to know if the connectors I have arrows pointing to is the V-Boost connector?

thanks
Ron

We don't want to answer what we don't know or can't remember. It's been three years since I dicked with my V-boost plug and have NO idea which one it was. If I was standing in front of it, I would be able to tell. So we are answering what we know.

Chris

Mark,
I think you misread my question I just want to know if I connect those two connectors ( are those 2 connector for the V-Boost ) I just want to make sure the V-Boost is working when I sync. When I bought the bike the V-Boost was disconnected already.

I just need to know if those 2 connector that I pointed to is for the V-Boost, I just connect them and the V-Boost will work as normal

Thanks
Ron

We don't want to answer what we don't know or can't remember. It's been three years since I dicked with my V-boost plug and have NO idea which one it was. If I was standing in front of it, I would be able to tell. So we are answering what we know.

Chris

Ouch Chris, I was saying it in a joking way... Sorry if I rubbed you wrong

Plug the round connector in that you have pictured. If you hear/see the vboost open when you turn the key, it's working.

How did you take that? I was just explaining... I wasn't mad... Did the word dicking make you think I was upset?

I'm not...

Chris

Mark,
I think you misread my question I just want to know if I connect those two connectors ( are those 2 connector for the V-Boost ) I just want to make sure the V-Boost is working when I sync. When I bought the bike the V-Boost was disconnected already.

I just need to know if those 2 connector that I pointed to is for the V-Boost, I just connect them and the V-Boost will work as normal

Thanks
Ron

yes it 'should'.

i agree with chris tho, i answer what i know for sure and let others chime in. i get the same thing when i ask questions, its good tho b/c i'd rather not have BS answers and someone eventually knows the answer (altho its usually the same group of specific people!)

I understand and like I said was only joking, which doesn't come through in typing sometimes. The problem is most people only read the last few posts and many times if someone answers one question people focus on that question and never see the other one..

That was my only point I was trying to make in a joking way.

At the beginning of this post I posted pictures of the throttle cables and the linkage they attach to and I numbered them, because I didn't pay attention to which one was connected to the holes in the linkage, everyone said that cable #1 goes through hole #1 and hooks to linkage hole #1 and all the same for #2

I just tried it and the cables don't feel right I can't even get them back into the retangle holder.. Also on cable # 1 there is a brass plug about a inch or so about the silver plug that goes into the linkage, where does that brass plug fit?

Are you guys sure that everything goes as you said after my first post in this thread??

Thanks

Ron

I finally got my carbs on :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance:

I'm about to put my airbox on and noticed that there is a slight amount of oil in some of the corners, I tried to wipe it out with paper towel but can't get into the tight corners.

What do you suggest for cleaning the little oil film that is on the bottom ?

I was thinking a using a contact cleaner that dries fast but thought I would ask before doing something I'd be sorry for.

Mark did you get my PM ??

Thanks
Ron

Contact cleaner or non chlorinated brake clean. I use the brake clean for almost everything...

Chris

Well I got the carbs installed only took me about 8 hours.........lol
Now I have to sync the carbs, they were way off, the first column was almost to the top of the carbtune the 2n,3rd and 4th were somewhere in between but nowhere near close to level.

I let it warm up for about 5 or 6 minutes then the idle was a bit under 1000 rpm so I adjusted it to right on 1000 rpm.

I adjusted the left side sync screw and got the first column to come down a bit but it reached a point where it wasn't moving any more. I went to the right side and tried to adjust each one of them and the best I could get was this, I know it isn't even close. Does anyone have any suggestions ???

Mark said I could call him at 2 PM but if I hate to bother him if someone might have an idea what I can do to get the carbs synced.

sync.jpg

Thanks

Ron

make sure the bike is warmed up a bit. try the idle speed at 1200 and see if that makes a difference. what happens when you try to adjust to bring the columns in closer to each other, does it just not move? are the columns fluttering a lot?

No fluttering at all, after each adjustment I rap the throttle and then when they settle down they are all saying at the levels seen in the picture. I tried higher idel it was about 1200 and the first column went higher the rest didn't do much.

I may have put the hoses on the wrong cylinders, I think I read marks tutorial wrong.. going to try again... will update you

Nope left rear is the first column hose left front is the 2nd column hose right rear is the 3rd column hose and right front is the 4th column hose

I just double checked everything and it's right as per Mark's tutorial, When I adjust the left sync screw nothing happens to the first 2 columns if I try to adjust the right side right screw the bike stalls out..

Here is my latest carbtune readings

sync2.jpg

I'm no expert but I've done it a few times Ron. Looks like you have your carbtune lying almost horizontally. You may want to try propping it up a bit. I typically cover my gauge pod by the faux with a rag and set the base of the carbtune there. Then lean it against the handlebar clamp. I've always heard to keep it close but not absolutely vertical. Check you connections. Twice. Make sure the hoses are all tight were you put the resrictors in. Make sure connections to the carbtune are good and to the manifolds.Tape overtop of the splices if you like. Some people may even be anal enough to label the hoses on each end 1,2,3,4. You can start synching as soon as the bike will idle w/o choke. Make VERY VERY small adjustments at a time.

Looks like the readings are really high on 1 and 2. I'm wondering if the rods are sticking a bit since you have the carbtune so flat?

Last edited:
Everything should match the 2nd column then... I usually make the first column the one that doesn't change and then make the other three match it. It's just how my brain works.

They all need to match up pretty close. I would and usually do have a fan blowing over the radiator and engine when doing this for an extended period of time. You will have to go back and forth adjusting as you go to get them dialed in. Make sure you hold the gauge vertical.

Chris

:bang head: :bang head: :bang head:

Ok I give up !!! I adjusted the right side right screw and I was able to get the 1st and 2nd columns to come down and then the 4th went higher but the 3rd stays very low.

I have had it for today and I'm sure my neighbors have had enough with my UFO exhaust too............ :rofl_200:

I think I'll let the bike cool down and tonight I'll unscrew the carbs and make sure they are seated well, there has to be a reason that the 3rd column on my CarbTune isn't changing no matter what I do.

All suggestions welcomed

Thanks

Ron

Back