GPS's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki66

Reaction score
What kind of GPS units is everybody using? I see so many different kinds out there, that I dont know which one to turn to.

I personally use a Garmin Zumo 550. They are a bit on the expensive side (cheapest you can usually find them new is ~$500) but are worth it to me. I have a permanent power hard line ran on my Venture and made a quick patch power cable for the Vmax using a 2nd power cable and the quick connect for the battery tender. Just transfer from bike to bike using the cradle and RAM mounts.

With it being IPX7 certified, I don't have to worry about having to bagging it if the weather starts to look dodgy. It is easy to dump a pre-programmed route on it for organized rides and it tracks all the riding you do. I often use it as a MP3 player for both bikes (through the onboard audio on the Venture and through helmet headphones on the vmax). Makes it easier to pause or change songs then using my Zune ;). You can also pipe the music/directions in via bluetooth.

Bluetooth to the phone is rather spiffy, too. It will pull your address book so you can dial directly from the GPS. Another nice touch is that if there is a number listed for a store/restaurant/etc it will provide dialing access to that, as well. More useful on long rides in instances where you might wanna call ahead to a hotel to see if they have any rooms ;)

To top it off, it come with all the mounting for both bike & car. :punk:The car cradle has a built in speaker and microphone so you can use it as a speaker phone if you have your phone paired over bluetooth (w/ all the same calling feature listed above). It uses the suction cup mount for the car, but the cradle is transferable to one of the sand bag dash mounts.

Garmin released a couple of wide screen Zumo this past year you might wanna take a peek at, as well.

Sounds like a nice unit. Can you explain the RAM mount? Maybe a picture.

Kevin , have a look in my albums i have a pic of mine on bike when i rode to Taupo . Sits in behind the screen beside the speedo . Ram mounted and doesnt vibrate . Tested this up to 180kmph . Its a tom tom wired to battery tender via a cigarette lighter connection . All wiring fits under the Faux tank . :punk:

Sounds like a nice unit. Can you explain the RAM mount? Maybe a picture.

Don't have a picture on me, but here is the site for them: RAM Mounts
they have pictures with GPSs mounted ;)

I use a resovoir mount on the clutch resovoir on the VMax. I have a dual ball mount on the Brake resovoir on my Venture for the GPS and a GoPro Hero HD camera.

BTW...its part of the motorcycle mounting kit that comes with the Zumo. Check the attached pic for box contents (bike mount in the upper left side):thumbs up:

Attachments

• ZumoBox-a.jpg
    ZumoBox-a.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 15
I personally use a Garmin Zumo 550. They are a bit on the expensive side (cheapest you can usually find them new is ~$500) but are worth it to me. I have a permanent power hard line ran on my Venture and made a quick patch power cable for the Vmax using a 2nd power cable and the quick connect for the battery tender. Just transfer from bike to bike using the cradle and RAM mounts.

With it being IPX7 certified, I don't have to worry about having to bagging it if the weather starts to look dodgy. It is easy to dump a pre-programmed route on it for organized rides and it tracks all the riding you do. I often use it as a MP3 player for both bikes (through the onboard audio on the Venture and through helmet headphones on the vmax). Makes it easier to pause or change songs then using my Zune ;). You can also pipe the music/directions in via bluetooth.

Bluetooth to the phone is rather spiffy, too. It will pull your address book so you can dial directly from the GPS. Another nice touch is that if there is a number listed for a store/restaurant/etc it will provide dialing access to that, as well. More useful on long rides in instances where you might wanna call ahead to a hotel to see if they have any rooms ;)

To top it off, it come with all the mounting for both bike & car. :punk:The car cradle has a built in speaker and microphone so you can use it as a speaker phone if you have your phone paired over bluetooth (w/ all the same calling feature listed above). It uses the suction cup mount for the car, but the cradle is transferable to one of the sand bag dash mounts.

Garmin released a couple of wide screen Zumo this past year you might wanna take a peek at, as well.

This is the unit i've been eyeing.......just need to come up with the cash.....won't be soon enough.

I don't have a GPS........I have a system called MAP:confused2:

I use a hand-held Garmin - $99 from Wally world. Sure , I have to stop to use it, but it slips right in my shirt pocket & I can also use it for hunting, hiking & fishing - no mounts needed. I guess I could tape it to the handlebars on the 'Max ...:rofl_200:

I have a Lowrance XOG. Its a little out-dated, but it works for me. It's small (3.5in screen) and waterproof. I have it on a custom (jury-rigged) mount that puts it centered over the handlebar bolts.

It was $149.

Diddo! I got mine in '07 and LOVE it. I use it in the cars and both bikes as well.

Chris

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
LOVE THE AVATAR!!!

KJ made that for me.......in celebration of my new custom plate:biglaugh:

I should have the new plate in a week or so......:clapping:

I run the Lowrance globalmap 100 (picture below showing Sault Ste Marie, MI. on the map), it's a older unit but it works for what I need/ can afford now.
For those using phones as a GPS how do you mount them and how well does it work for you? Do you use it in conjunction with a headset/ microphone in the helmet(like Scala Rider)?

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 10
Geez! You guys make me feel so behind the times. I pick a direction and go 9 times outta 10. If I am going somewhere with a destiniation in mind and I've never been I typically print a map off my computer an put it in my pocket. I thought having a map in your pocket was high tech.:rofl_200:

Geez! You guys make me feel so behind the times. I pick a direction and go 9 times outta 10. If I am going somewhere with a destiniation in mind and I've never been I typically print a map off my computer an put it in my pocket. I thought having a map in your pocket was high tech.:rofl_200:

+1......

I am only going a hundred miles in a whack before I have to stop for gas.....

Pull the map out of your pocket after you fuel up,:confused2:

I am quite predigest when it comes to Garmin. My man is THE man that puts the final say in the motorcycle gps's. Speaking of which, he's out testing one for the Goldwing as I speak. I use to do the print out the map and go by that until my printer died. I've been hooked on the Garmin over a year now and can't turn back. One thing I will throw out there is the amount of money you pay for a GPS...that's how good of a product you'll get. If you want all the bells and whistles you'll pay for it. If you want one that will get you from point A to B then get a cheaper one. I get to play with all the models before the public gets to see them and I will admit there are some real cool features on the higher end ones that I wish I had. You don't know what you're missing until you see it!

Speakers in my helmet tell me where to go! Can't beat that IMO. Plus it's an MP3 and XM receiver so all the music is there as well...

Back