Great spot for 12v power

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northjax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, needed power for long rides to charge the phone (GPS). Picked up the 12v adapter w/2 USB plugs off eBay for $12. $10 in 18g wire, pack of female adapter, and 15a fuse from radio shack. Drilled a 1 1/4 hole under the ignition switch, put gasket sealer around the whole and used locknut supplied to hold it in place. Pretty simple job. Took about 45 mins total.
image.jpg

Mine ends up splitting after awhile, the plastic neck piece I mean. It's the best spot for sure though. I can put my phone or tablet in my fwd pouch and leave it plugged in. Make sure the fuse is installed within 7 inches from the battery. That way the entire circuit is protected.

I had mine on the left side. Messed with throttle cables tho so I removed it. Right side I have my fan switch. I bought this and just said if I go on a long ride ill connect it and run it under the faux cover

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0041CDPQO?pc_redir=1399012069&robot_redir=1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
That is pretty much what I have but I made mine & its under the seat . I take the plastic front off in front of my tool kit & just use the rubber strap to strp the phone in.

Here's my current 12v source....

10259936_10201691230274509_2185316155613152051_n.jpg

10253985_10201691231194532_9034476694084287492_n.jpg

10277840_10201691231754546_4512107745298740361_n.jpg

10306563_10201691232114555_1392731190595671442_n.jpg

10338738_10201691233874599_1798960086277868917_n.jpg

I bought this from Wal-mart and soldered a coiled wire with the two prong plug, I then put velcro tape on the inside pocket of my tailbag as well as the side of my 12volt source.

I plug my phone to either of the usb ports, and can plug my heated vest on to the "lighter socket"....btw, my two prong connector behind the right scoop has a 10a fuse...

Where are you guys gettin power?..
Straight off battery?.. for use when bikes not on?
Thanks..im plannin this myself soon.

T

T

I tapped directly to the battery and it is fused at 5A. I have a SAE cord hidden under the seat. I can hook up the battery tender by opening the flip section of the seat. If I ever buy an SAE to USB adapter, I can use it to charge my phone or whatever

T
I am. A fuse close to the battery(within 7") is recommended, to protect the wire and receptacle. I like it hot all the time. that way I can charge my phone or whatever with the key off. ,

I came off the + battery post, to an in-line switch, then to an auxiliary fuse box. One circuit powers the stereo, the other goes to the 12v. outlet.
The outlet usually feeds the GPS, but is also used to charge the phone and power up low and high pressure air inflators.
A LED indicator light on the dash is on whenever the switch is closed.
There are two other switched circuits in the aux fuse box, one for dual horns, the other for an LED running light circuit (6 total).

Attachments

• 12 volt outlet.jpg
    12 volt outlet.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 67
I already have my headlight relays, 12v SAE connector for battery tender/ phone charger. I want to add a Stebel horn so I'll need to install an aux fuse box to clean up the terminals and provide a switched options for power.
These are the units I'm considering:
> Eastern Beaver pc-8
> Denali Power Hub
> Fuseblocks FZ-1

I am leaning toward the Denali since it would be a cleaner install but the price tag is steep. FZ-1 has a less tidy installation and with a wiring kit it is just a little less $$$'s that the Denali. The EB pc-8 is nice but a little less clean of a install like the FZ-1; price is better than the Denali and FZ-1.

I already have my headlight relays, 12v SAE connector for battery tender/ phone charger. I want to add a Stebel horn so I'll need to install an aux fuse box to clean up the terminals and provide a switched options for power.
These are the units I'm considering:
> Eastern Beaver pc-8
> Denali Power Hub
> Fuseblocks FZ-1

I am leaning toward the Denali since it would be a cleaner install but the price tag is steep. FZ-1 has a less tidy installation and with a wiring kit it is just a little less $$$'s that the Denali. The EB pc-8 is nice but a little less clean of a install like the FZ-1; price is better than the Denali and FZ-1.

High-tech, groovy stuff, Brian.
I'm guessing that you would not be too impressed by my $3.95, glass-fuse Canadian Tire box:eusa_dance:, with a homemade cover(held on by a elastic band, of course).
take care, Bud

I ran it to my battery tender since it's already fused..spliced into it. But yes, it is constant power. You can also tie to the ignition if doing it my way and only works when key is on. I just like the flush mount look, looks OEM to me...even though it was never an option.

Those that are on a constant hot... How much amperage is the outlet using when nothing is plugged in? How much should it be using might be a better question. There is a draw and I don't want to risk getting stranded with a dead battery.

Back