Having some trouble with the throtle cables

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick.

Reaction score
I just got done with my carbs about 2 days ago and got them back together. They are nice and clean, every hole cleaned out, every jet, everything. I'm trying to put them back on the bike and I seem to be having some trouble with the throttle cables. I can get them in alright, it's a pain but I'm getting them in there alright but I can't seem to get the the hand grip to spring back once I get them in. It goes good in the WOT position but won't spring back on its own. Am I doing someting wrong?

The top cable is for opening the trottle and the bottom is to spring it back or is it the other way around?

it depends on how you look at it, mine are all wrapped around, sounds like u got 'em backwards tho bud. when u "open the throttle" do the butterfly valves open or close?

Correct. Loosen the adjuster at the grip. Also make sure cables are routed correctly per the service manual.

the sync screws are set right, the thing snaps shut just fine without the cables on. When I took the carbs out I just disconnected them from the carbs and left them on the bike. Also, is there supposed to be two of the metal cylinder things on one of the cables, i think it's the bottom? I'll try to flip them around and see if it works.

Yes, the return cable (if memory is right) as two crimped fittings. Take a look at the microfiche on the Yamaha-motor.com website. If the cables still bind when you are done loosen the adjuster on the cable by the switch housing and turn the adjuster in shortening the cable. This will allow more slack the system and may cure the problem. You want just enough slack to not bind as an excess makes extra play in the throttle.

Sean

Well if the two cables are installed correctly, than flip the plastic cable connectors (white pieces) in the housing - that is probably where it is binding up.

Mike

Latest posts

Back