Help... washed bike now runs like crap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Just like the title says...

it was hot as hell here today, close to 100 and humidity was high. I changed the oil and washed the bike.

after washing her she barely wanted to start. finally some pursuation and she started but she keeps surging to like 1500 then back down to 500 rpms at idle...

i run vboost always on, and the bike is tuned for it. if i close vboost or put it to regular it helps a lot but its still stumbly at low RPMs and off idle.... whether i'm in gear or not.

i took her out on the highway (so it is rideable) and that helped a bit (hopefully dried off some shit) but what else can i do?

i got BR10 in 2 days and booked until departure, anyone have any hints? all my plug wires are seated and i don't see any water pooled anywhere

EDIT: also, if i leave her off for a few mins then come back she idles good for 10 seconds? then starts the crap up. Never ever had an issue with dampness, humidity or water before tonight...

Garret I know you said plug wires were seated,but it wouldnt hurt to pullem off and blow em out with compressed air,I NEVER had that problem either ,untill four weeks ago or so ,and my wires got wet after a wash,ran for shit,took me a few to find water in the wire.then last week washed it and it didnt run for four days,that time it was the connection from the vboost were it (on my bike) connected to the ecu.good luck bro,somtimes a prayer helps.Ill say one for you tonight!

Just like the title says...

it was hot as hell here today, close to 100 and humidity was high. I changed the oil and washed the bike.

after washing her she barely wanted to start. finally some pursuation and she started but she keeps surging to like 1500 then back down to 500 rpms at idle...

i run vboost always on, and the bike is tuned for it. if i close vboost or put it to regular it helps a lot but its still stumbly at low RPMs and off idle.... whether i'm in gear or not.

i took her out on the highway (so it is rideable) and that helped a bit (hopefully dried off some shit) but what else can i do?

i got BR10 in 2 days and booked until departure, anyone have any hints? all my plug wires are seated and i don't see any water pooled anywhere

EDIT: also, if i leave her off for a few mins then come back she idles good for 10 seconds? then starts the crap up. Never ever had an issue with dampness, humidity or water before tonight...

Gotta be the water got in somewhere Garrett. Do you have a leaf blower or air gun....giving her a good air hosing might do the trick.

Garret I know you said plug wires were seated,but it wouldnt hurt to pullem off and blow em out with compressed air,I NEVER had that problem either ,untill four weeks ago or so ,and my wires got wet after a wash,ran for shit,took me a few to find water in the wire.then last week washed it and it didnt run for four days,that time it was the connection from the vboost were it (on my bike) connected to the ecu.good luck bro,somtimes a prayer helps.Ill say one for you tonight!

thanks rick. plug wires inspected. don't tell steph i was out there w/her hair dryer...

Gotta be the water got in somewhere Garrett. Do you have a leaf blower or air gun....giving her a good air hosing might do the trick.

yea i'm thinking the same thing danny. leaf blower, certainly!

just blew off the front two plugs but engine is still too hot to get to the back (knee guards n shit)

started her up quick and its sounding better. have a box fan and a little cyclone fan on her right now as well. its sooooo hot outside. shits never gonna dry! leaf blower isn't a bad idea..... i'll be back shortly. probably after pissing off the neighbors, altho ya gotta think a 80 mph jaunt 10 miles each way would help, which it did...

Garrett,
I always use a leaf blower to blow off the water when I wash my bike, I even do it in sections. If you don't have one it is a good investment.

By the time you read this I hope she is back up and running good

Ron

Yea and double-check all four spark plug drain holes in the sides of the heads - mine got so clogged water sipped through a drop at a time!

I use a small squirt bottle and stay away from all electrics. If you want to clean the engine spray a towel and wash it that way.

thanks everyone. the few box fans and couple squirts of compressed air in the boots seemed to help all but relieve the issue. ran her up and down the street until the rain and hail started! more testing tomorrow or friday hopefully! thanks againe veryone, i will update when i com firm.

Unless you're riding it in the rain, I'd look into a gallon of waterless car wash... It with some good microfiber towels will save you time and make it look great.

Glad you got it sorted.

Chris

whats this waterless car wash u speak of?

yea shes running good again. rode her into work.

talk about a change tho it was 53 deg this morning. it was 97 yesterday when i got home.

how long does a gallon last for a bike u'd say?

I've had similar issues after cleaning my car engine before. It wouldn't even start. Spayed some WD-40 into the plug boots and in the other end for the distributor cap and it fired right up. The WD will displace any water in the connection.

good to know. if it acts up before BR10 i'll make note. it probably just needs to be run in the sun with some less humid air...

Oh hey Garrett, If you're interested in buying some of that wash let me know. I have a 15% off code you can use.

Chris

is it just the jug? or jug and spray bottle?

Save big with this package deal which includes a waterless wash towel, a full 16oz bottle, and a gallon refill! You'll love our Waterless Wash, 110% guaranteed!

Quote!

haha damn fine print (yes i know it was bolded). not right now chris, thanks but maybe after BR. i could probably pick it up local for less than that price plus shipping minus 15% eh?

Adams is only sold in select detailer shops. You won't find it at big box stores. It's a premium line of products.

Chris

Back