HID setup

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my DDM Wire loom:
View attachment 28312
The fused red wire with the connector for the battery connects to the H4 labled connector.
View attachment 28310
There are 8 wires going into the H4 connector 3 red/ orange/ brown/ pink/ blue and white.
View attachment 28311
The fused connector connects to the H4 connector between the pink and blue wire in my DDM HID loom.
View attachment 28313
I hope I understood what you were looking for or that this is the same loom as yours. Let me know if there are other pictures you need of the loom.

Thanks. That appears to be the same as mine. I guess my only issue now is getting the fused wired hooked up in the correct place. I guess it would hook directly to the battery for automotive application but I'm still a little unclear where to connect it on the Vmax. I feel like I'm over thinking this. Obviously it need to be connected to switched power in order for it to shut off. The ground should be fine just bolted to the frame somewhere. I'll just tuck all of the extra wires away somewhere.
So if I'm understanding this, the power wire should be connected to the switched power wire at the original headlight connector? Or do I even need to attach the fused wire? Won't the HID system get power anyway since the original headlight connector is in line? Here I go with the over thinking again.

Your connections should go like this:
1) Red fused wire from the relay to the battery.
2) Black ground wire to frame ground.
3) HID bulb connector(3 flat male) fits onto the factory wired headlight connector (3 flat female) This provides hi/lo switching from the handlebar switch.
4) All the other connectors from the HID kit only fit one way.

That accounts for all the connections that need to be made, the other budle of wires are for a second H4 bulb that we are not using on the Vmax.
I hope this helps put a clearer picture of the connections.

Last edited:
Your connections should go like this:
1) Red fused wire from the relay to the battery.
2) Black ground wire to frame ground.
3)HID bulb connector(3 flat male) fits onto the factory wired headlight connector (3 flat female) This provides hi/lo switching from the handlebar switch.
4) All the other connectors from the HID kit only fit one way.

That accounts for all the connections that need to be made, the other budle of wires are for a second H4 bulb that we are not using on the Vmax.
I hope this helps put a clearer picture of the connections.

That's how I have it hooked up. I must have spliced the fused power wire into the wrong wire on the relay. Now, with all you guy's help. I should be able to locate the correct terminal on the relay, make my connection and be good to go. Well I guess I will still need to stuff everything out of sight. Oh Brother!

well, got it all wired up. Thanks Redbone for the pics and instructions. Unfortunately, when I pulled the fused power wire out of the H4 connector, I screwed up bad. I attempted several repairs on the plug, each probably more damaging than the last and finally just cut my lead off and shoved it on to the terminal. To accommodate this wire sticking out, I drilled out the plastic plug so that I could just run the wire straight through it. I taped everything up to insure minimal movement of the wires. I still have to stuff everything away but will be very careful not to disturb the H4 connector at the relay. Everything works as it should and I'm fairly confident that nothing will be shorting out the circuit.
I promise, I'm not trying to explain what a dumbass I am but I can't help but wonder if there may be a better alternative to the DDM kit. After having to cut my headlight housing, wait two weeks for the kit to be delivered, and pester all of you guy's, I'm just not sure it was worth the trouble. I realize the HID is a massive improvement for lighting on the Vmax but I personally will be doing some research on different manufactures and other options to improve the lighting. There are several motorcycle HID upgrades on ebay(all made in China as the DDM is) but a lot less expensive than the DDM. I still cannot understand why the DDM kit did not come with instructions or even a wiring diagram. Hopefully they have decent tech support although, thankfully I didn't need it thanks to all of you.
I love the upgrade to HID for my bike and will be researching other companies/options before I replace what I've already spent my hard earned money on but I cannot recommend anyone purchasing a DDM kit if they haven't already. It's not my intention to rub anyone the wrong way and to all of you that are smarter than me and got it all hooked up with no problems, congrats. I'm just saying that to anyone else considering this as an upgrade, try a different manufacturer, save some money, contact the company and ask if it comes with instructions and ask if they have technical support. Shoot, there may even be someone in the US making a good HID kit.
I've yet to get everything stuffed away and reassemble the bike. Looks as if it may be raining for the next couple of days so I'm not in too big of a hurry. I am a little anxious though to see how much of an improvement it is driving at night. Although it will always be in the back of my head the connection at that damn H4 relay....

I am glad to hear that you were able to get it squared away. I sure your frustrations have been felt by many that have installed kits not designed for a motorcycle but rather have been adapted to motorcycles just for additional sales. As for your search for a GOOD US HID vendor, I believe your wish echos many from here as well.
If I was only ambitious enough or technically inclined to design/ conctruct/ market a better M/C HID setup...

Good deal on getting it all stuffed and hidden. I had no problems with my getting my installed it was pretty much plug and play for me. Only work I did was to the head light bucket. I think total time from starting it to finishing it was just under two hours, but I also installed new front turns and moved all the wires out of the head light bucket. I did not mind cutting it that because you do not really see it. I opted not cover the holes with duct tape of black tape, the unit should be water resistant with the seals on every thing. I will take mine back out next time I am in there and shorten the wiring and lose the 2nd bulb's wires, so it is less to stuff and easier to work around if I need to get in there.
HIDlight.jpg

I love the amount of light and how strong it is. I glad I did this mod

Last edited:
Finally got to ride the bike last night on my way to work. First time I've rode it at night since I installed the HID kit. I have to say, I was skeptical but now I'm a believer. As I said before, I went with the 35 watt kit and it provides plenty of light. I still won't recommend this particular kit to anyone I know since there are so many other options that are cheaper and I didn't think much of the quality or lack there of, but the improvement in visibility at night is absolutely fantastic. I am going to do some research on finding a U.S. manufacturer but I suspect even if I find one it will still consist of Chinese parts. My most logical thought is to try to find quality replacement parts for this kit if/when any of the components fail. I'm sure with a little research I can find a quality suitable replacement for the relay, which is the part that I had the most trouble with.
I noticed this morning when I was warming the bike up to leave work that the headlight was flickering with the choke on at fast idle. Once warmed up and the choke off, it quit flickering. I'm sure it's just something to do with the charging system and probably no reason for concern unless anyone else says different? Anyway, despite all of the issues I had installing the ddm kit, it does perform well, so far.......

It's flickering sometimes if the power is weak. I used to have it on my high beam until it warms up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Just wanted to share that these inexspensive HID setups are still available for our bikes. This fits in the stock light housing without any modifications. I put one on last August without any issues. I purchased the 55watt HI/LO 6000K HID slim ballast setup. Its showing $47.50 plus shipping now.

Its insanely bright!!! The picture of my bike below is in my garage in the dark with the low beam on.

Here is the link:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit
I just got this today at my lunch break since they are only open Mon-Fri 9am till 5pm and they were 10minutes away so why pay the $13.xx S&H?
It cost me $43.xx out the door! I guess the harness comes with two connectors (one is spare and not needed with single ballast). Pretty cool looking kit, especially for the money!

They had the 35W kit in stock but the 55W kits ship from China hence the extra shipping time they take.
:punk:

I just tried to order this kit...........But i won't pay $43.00 for shipping.Some vendors in the States really like to hammer us guys in Canada................SUCKS!!!!!

I just tried to order this kit...........But i won't pay $43.00 for shipping.Some vendors in the States really like to hammer us guys in Canada................SUCKS!!!!!

Get hammered up here too. There is quite a few "wont sell to Alaska or Hawaii" out there. But as far as USPS is concerned, same price as shipping from Washington to Oregon.

However, you will take a screwing with USP. It cost me $55 to have a watch UPS'd from Washington to here.

I know its an old thread, but I figured I would throw my findings in because the stock headlight is a terror on an unlit highway at night. I got the ddm 55 watt hid kit for Christmas. I was concerned about what was said earlier in this thread about needing to cut a hole in the headlight housing. The bulb and base that was sent to me DID FIT without modification. No clearance issues at the tip of the bulb by the lens either. Still no instructions, but I found the wiring to be simple and straightforward. Still has the extra wiring and connections for a second light (unused, wrapped and tucked away). Everything fit under the tach-temp cluster. I unwrapped the loom that goes to the headlight bucket, pulled the headlight leads out, and wrapped the remaining wires back up as they were (turn signal and Speedo lighting) so I didn't have wires running from the frame to the headlight just to go right back to the frame again. That helped keep the space in the headlight bucket needed for the electromagnetic hi/lo beam actuator.
Bright as can be in my garage for my initial test. Just need to wait for night to check the aim. 2 1/2 hours start to finish on the install.

I frequently ride late at night on a 20 mile stretch of highway that is not light by street lights in a rural area (I65 in Indiana) with a 70 mph speed limit. Between dead/live animals, torn up truck tires and other Shit scattered on the roads, I will feel much safer being able to see more than 30 feet ahead of me.

I frequently ride late at night on a 20 mile stretch of highway that is not light by street lights in a rural area (I65 in Indiana) with a 70 mph speed limit. Between dead/live animals, torn up truck tires and other Shit scattered on the roads, I will feel much safer being able to see more than 30 feet ahead of me.

I think you'll find that this will be one of your top 5 mods to be done of all time. I ABSOLUTELY love mine!!

I've been considering a 7" bucket and a HID kit... but now Sean has these slick as hell LED ring lights on the stock 5" and it makes me want to assault him with my money.

From what I can tell the ring is just a trim piece, anybody care to weigh in on having that product and a HID conversion going on at the same time?

This is where I mounted all my HID stuff fits perfect!

uploadfromtaptalk1367537235219.jpg
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Back