High rpm smoking?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82300r

Reaction score
Hi new member here. I'll post in the introduction in min. Just got a prob thats driving me crazy. I got an 86 max with 8000 or so miles. Bike cranks an idles runs fine. Just when you get the bike at higher rpm's it wants to smoke. You can shut it off an sit. Crank back up an no smoking. Got a carb kit an cables on order. A a local bike mech gonna look at it. Rear plugs do get sooty. Has anyone had this kind of prob? Like i said bike will sit an idle fine all day.Get it up to high rpm's then smoke? Hope i'm in the right section. Thanks for any opinions.

First off, welcome to the forum!

What color smoke? Blue, oil burning - black, fuel is rich - white on hot engine, coolant.

Rear plugs with black soot, leads to believe that it's running rich.

Mike

Thanks for the welcome. White smoke on a hot engine. Shut if off for a few minutes an no smoke. Other than that it cranks,runs an idles fine. Gonna get the carbs looked at but i don't think that is the smoke problem.

I had a similar situation on an older bike. White smoke at higher RPM's. Then gradually the smoking started at lower RPM's, then the head gasket went.

I can't add much about your smoking VMax but Welcome to the Forum. There's a lot of knowledge here on the site, sure to diagnose your problem... Stick around after you get it fixed. Great People Here.

KJ is on the right track - sounds like it maybe head gasket starting to leak. Is your coolant level going down at all?

Mike

+2 on a gasket or crack letting coolant in, do you notice the water level dropping yet? might not be but sure sounds like it might.

Thanks for the input. When i get it to the shop i'll see if they can check that somehow. The coolant does not seem to be dropping though, but thats a start.

You can have the coolant tested for combustion gasses that are leaking into it (which is the most common failure when they go bad). It could be tune off as well though most normally see this as black smoke.

Sean

I think i may be making some head way with this thing. All my carb rebuild parts are in an a have an app next week with my mech. So i have just been fooling with it cleaned the plugs seveal times, changed oil etc. I decided to pull the rear plug wires off. Did not look like there was even any wire in them. So i started trimming them back . Lots of just broken wires inside. Got to good looking wires and reinstalled. Took the bike for a spin an like night an day differance. Bike pulls hard and sounds like a dragster now. I don't believe i am at 100% but i'm feeling much better. Plus i havn't seen any smoke yet. Crossing my fingers!

Did you happen to do the same to the coil end of wire? The wires actually screw into coils and caps, just thought I would mention it........

Yeah, i did both ends. Just pulled off the scoops to see how hard it would be to get to them. The two fronts. Too much stuff in the way an losing daylight. I did take the bike for a few runs an pulls hard and sounds much better. Gonna replace all the plug wires also. This bike was purchased at a dealer that had it on consinment. The more i fool with it i believe this bike was not running when they got it an just did what they had too to get it running. Also just noticed that the right rear clamp between the carb an air box is stripped out. That is the plug that is fouling out the worst.

Yeah, i did both ends. Just pulled off the scoops to see how hard it would be to get to them. The two fronts. Too much stuff in the way an losing daylight. I did take the bike for a few runs an pulls hard and sounds much better. Gonna replace all the plug wires also. This bike was purchased at a dealer that had it on consinment. The more i fool with it i believe this bike was not running when they got it an just did what they had too to get it running. Also just noticed that the right rear clamp between the carb an air box is stripped out. That is the plug that is fouling out the worst.

I have a almost new set of 8mm graphite core wires & NKG caps with resistors in them. Used them last year & went to COP's setup this year. They were about $45 new. I will sell them for $25 and shipping and throw in the clamp you need.

PM me if interested.

Gary

Got a little further along today. Removed the front left plug wire. There was NO wire in it whatsoever! The right side was almost as bad! Got some 7mm plug wires from napa just to get something back in it for now. Also found that BOTH rear air box to carb clamps were stripped out! Gonna try to findsome clamps tommorow. I know buying used is buyer beware but a dealer ought to have their ass kicked for letting a bike out the door with these things they should have known about. Plug wires? maybe, but they did work on the carbs. so they had to have known. I will get it straight though! LOL! I,m just amazed that the bike was running this way.

Found some clamps today at my friendly local honda dealer. Not quite the same but they work. Bolted back up all the loose pieces an took a few test runs. Way better. Actuallly left some rubber on the road and felt the bike "rise" under acceleration. I guess i'm making headway and past asking questions. Just gonna continue with trial an error. LOL! Gonna replace the rear wires tommorow. An get my mech to check out the carbs next week. An that may make things better. But the smoke seems to be going away now that it is getting better fire. We'll see.

Back