How can I remove the steering stem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misiek93

Reaction score
Hello,
Let me start off by thanking everyone on here for sharing their knowledge with people like me. :clapping: I don't post much but I'm on here all the time looking for answers and what I can do do my bike. I can't even count how many times I was stuck and got my questions answered by doing a simple search on this forum. I also got a good list of modifications that I have now decided to perform on my vmax, which brings me to my problem.

Is there a way to remove the steering stem from the bottom triple tree?

I have an 06 vmax that I'm trying to convert to USD and spend as little as possible. I'm using the front set up from 2005 ZX10 which I had laying around as a spare from my track bike. I have to resuse the original stem and that's when I ran into the problem with removing it :bang head:. I did the search on this forum but dind't find a clear answer. Somone said the steering stem is pressed in and pinned in so... I drilled the pin out already and applied some pressure on the press to try to remove it but it didn't even move :confused2: I guess I could cut the bottom away from the steering stem as last resort but I'd rather not ruin the bottom tree in case I need it for something else down the road.

Doean anyone know how I can remove the steering stem without ruining it? :th_help:

Thanks in advance.
Martin.

Spend a few bucks and take it to a machine shop. Shouldn't be more than $20 to get it pressed out, then back into the new triple. Assuming it will fit in the new triple???

Spend a few bucks and take it to a machine shop. Shouldn't be more than $20 to get it pressed out, then back into the new triple. Assuming it will fit in the new triple???

I was thinking the same thing! The OP might want to check the diameters of the two stems and make sure that they are compatible. I would be shocked if they are. If not I would be reluctant to drill or sleeve the triples to accomodate the Vmax stem. I would also wonder about drilling the top triple to accept bar risers as sportbikes run clip ons and the top triples can be a bit thin for one to trust with standard bar risers after drilling them. Will keep an eye on this mod to see what the end result is.

I was thinking the same thing! The OP might want to check the diameters of the two stems and make sure that they are compatible. I would be shocked if they are. If not I would be reluctant to drill or sleeve the triples to accomodate the Vmax stem. I would also wonder about drilling the top triple to accept bar risers as sportbikes run clip ons and the top triples can be a bit thin for one to trust with standard bar risers after drilling them. Will keep an eye on this mod to see what the end result is.

Thanks for the info. I was using a hand operated press before so maybe it didn't provide enough pressure or something like that. Yes the stem will fit into the new triple. What I didn't mention is that I'm having new top and bottom tripple trees made specifically for this. I have a buddy that will machine top and bottom triples for me for $100. He already did my fork extensions that cost me a case of beer :eusa_dance:. He does this stuff after hours at his machine shop. Next time I'm over there, probably this weekend, I'll try the hydraulic press, what's the worse that can happen :ummm:. After all said and done, I will have stock looking triple trees large enough to accomodate the new forks, the turning radius will be close to stock (I think).

We were thinking of machining a new stem if the original was one piece but it sounds like it can be removed with more pressure.

I'm planning on posting pictures once I get all the parts back.

Yes, the stem can be pressed out without issue.

Take note that on the lower OEM triple there is a raised boss built into the triple where the stem passes thru. The allows the bearing to sit up in the neck a little further and provides some clearance between the bottom of the steering neck and the top of the lower triple.

I have some aftermarket triples and the guy who made them supplied a thin spacer that slides onto the stem, before the bearing is pressed on, that provides the same clearance. Not sure if you noticed, but the lower race sits up in the neck a little bit. I think you could probably get away without it but, for the cost of a little spacer, you may want to look into it.

Yes, the stem can be pressed out without issue.

Take note that on the lower OEM triple there is a raised boss built into the triple where the stem passes thru. The allows the bearing to sit up in the neck a little further and provides some clearance between the bottom of the steering neck and the top of the lower triple.

I have some aftermarket triples and the guy who made them supplied a thin spacer that slides onto the stem, before the bearing is pressed on, that provides the same clearance. Not sure if you noticed, but the lower race sits up in the neck a little bit. I think you could probably get away without it but, for the cost of a little spacer, you may want to look into it.
I'll take a look at this next time I'm over there, thanks for the heads-up, this is exactly what I was looking for stuff I can potentially overlook. At this point a small spacer will not be a problem to make. Do you remember about what size (how thick) spacer that was? I'm sure I can figure it out by looking at old trees but I'd like to have as much info as I can ahead of time to know what to look for.

It's never as easy as it sounds.

Never measured it, but it wasn't very thick. 1/8" or so. As you noted, if you look at the old one you will see what needs done. The OD of the spacer I received was slightly smaller than the flat part on the bottom side of the bearing that gets pressed on. It did not extend all the way out to the cage, it just supports the flange built into the inner race.

Made myself a new stainless steam, dont like the swap idea - its not that hard to machine one anyway.

Also was able to remove the stock steam - was a pita but nothing dramatic.

Never measured it, but it wasn't very thick. 1/8" or so. As you noted, if you look at the old one you will see what needs done. The OD of the spacer I received was slightly smaller than the flat part on the bottom side of the bearing that gets pressed on. It did not extend all the way out to the cage, it just supports the flange built into the inner race.
I'll take a look, I'm sure making one will not be that difficult.

Made myself a new stainless steam, dont like the swap idea - its not that hard to machine one anyway.

Also was able to remove the stock steam - was a pita but nothing dramatic.
By reusing the stem I'll save few days so I can get to putting everything together that much sooner. If that fails I will have no choice but to make one. Like you said it's not that hard to do it will just take few extra days. I was trying to use the old zx10 triples initially and just have a new stem made, but the turning radius sucked and the zx10 bottom triples were hitting the top of the radiator on the right hand side, after that I went to plan B, new set of triples with old stem, if that don't work than onto plan C, new triples and new stem

BTW - the rear wheel cleared customs in NY (in about 10 minutes) and is on it's way to me :biglaugh:

By reusing the stem I'll save few days so I can get to putting everything together that much sooner. If that fails I will have no choice but to make one. Like you said it's not that hard to do it will just take few extra days. I was trying to use the old zx10 triples initially and just have a new stem made, but the turning radius sucked and the zx10 bottom triples were hitting the top of the radiator on the right hand side, after that I went to plan B, new set of triples with old stem, if that don't work than onto plan C, new triples and new stem

BTW - the rear wheel cleared customs in NY (in about 10 minutes) and is on it's way to me :biglaugh:

Let me know and I will send ya some of mine tripple trees drawings.

Good to hear, let me know how it sorted!

Let me know and I will send ya some of mine tripple trees drawings.

Good to hear, let me know how it sorted!

Thanks for the offer, I will let you know if I need the drawings. For now I'm good. I was able to press the stem out yesterday. All it took was a bigger press and it actually went pretty easy. I should have the triples this weekend so I can finally start putting things together.

I'm sure I'll run into few other unforseen issues but hey, you learn by doing right?

Thanks for all the advise I got, it made my life a bit easier :)

Just a note. The stem presses out the long way. So, top down.

Sean

Anyone know where I can find the dimensions for the steering stem and or stock triple trees? and Ill take the triple tree drawings :biglaugh:

Here you go. Maybe this little gift will make you more participative here hein? :biglaugh:
This one doesn't have the top nut thread because it was intended to fix the top triple with a bolt that screws inside the stem instead of a threaded stem to use a top nut. Hope it makes sense to you, either way all the major dimensions are there... Oh and don't forget the washer to seat the lower bearing on lower triple upper face, if i remember correctly 2mm should be enough... Its only for the bearing to work properly and not rub the triples face, so to speak, and of course to help remove the bearing with a screwdriver levering it up...

Attachments

• 14032011328.jpg
    14032011328.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Oh and don't forget the washer to seat the lower bearing on lower triple upper face, if i remember correctly 2mm should be enough... Its only for the bearing to work properly and not rub the triples face, so to speak...

I forgot to install that before the bearing went on. :bang head: I ended up pressing the stem out to get the bearing off without damage and then putting the washer on, then the bearing, again.

Thank you ... I would love to be able to spend alot more time on here and on getting my bike back on the road but new baby and some blind bat running over my bike in the parking lot has put a LARGE strain on time and money.. will def contribute more soon including the drawings for the trees and whatever I can. I was able to get a ZX14 front end now need to make drawing for trees and then try to sneak into work afterhours and make some trees:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back