How light are the *lightest* street legal Vmax's coming in?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From messing with my race cars I can tell you those truck scales aren't always accurate at weight as minimal as where you'll be at, might be harder to find but see if you can find a set of real race scales or at least a scale only calibrated to read 1000lbs or so. The theory behind this is you wouldn't use your bathroom scale to balance your pistons would you? I know truck scales might be the only thing available to you but try to find something else if you can because a scale for weighing a 100,000lb truck isn't going to be super accurate at under 600lbs, good luck bro! :biglaugh:

Was thinking I might be able to use two wheel scales like you would use to find out the weight bias for a car. May have to look and see if there is a speed shop in town as they may have a set they use to set up car suspensions.

Most drag strips have a scale on the return road that you can use that are accurate at our wieghts since they are not calibrated for 80,000lb trucks.

I don't see getting a shaft driven Max under 550 with out going to some ridiculous lengths that bring some sort of safety or performance compromise.....or at huge expense in exotic metal investment.

Mine weighs 590-595 at the scale out at HRP when it's on the low fuel light. I have done many of the mods sean detailed, pegs, exhaust, ditching plastic crap, vboost servo etc,,

My RC's are heavy and a set of Caz's might drop me to 570......

Beyond that you would have to get into some of the modifications Sean detailed, Some of which look to me look like things you would do to a drag bike., still be street legal but would be less of a bike in some way........

Most drag strips have a scale on the return road that you can use that are accurate at our wieghts since they are not calibrated for 80,000lb trucks.

I don't see getting a shaft driven Max under 550 with out going to some ridiculous lengths that bring some sort of safety or performance compromise.....or at huge expense in exotic metal investment.

Mine weighs 590-595 at the scale out at HRP when it's on the low fuel light. I have done many of the mods sean detailed, pegs, exhaust, ditching plastic crap, vboost servo etc,,

My RC's are heavy and a set of Caz's might drop me to 570......

Beyond that you would have to get into some of the modifications Sean detailed, Some of which look to me look like things you would do to a drag bike., still be street legal but would be less of a bike in some way........

My curiosity lies with the weight after chain drive conversion, fibreglass body parts, EFI, etc. Am also running sportbike wheels which are aluminum and light by comparison. Will see if the local drag strip has a scale in the return lane.

My curiosity lies with the weight after chain drive conversion, fibreglass body parts, EFI, etc. Am also running sportbike wheels which are aluminum and light by comparison. Will see if the local drag strip has a scale in the return lane.

I pulled the driven gear of the mid gear unit out of my bike (Sean's advice to faciclitate engine removal, spot on by the way, made it tons easier)

The driven midgear and u-joint assmembly weigh about 8-10lbs, the pumpkin probably weighs about 10-12lb as , and the shaft another 3-5lbs??? just guessing.....

I imagine the chain drive swing arm weighs as much if not more than the shaftie, add in the new chain and gears and the weight drop is around 20 lbs max I'm guessing??

My bike weighed 590-595 BEFORE I installed the Exactrep headlight and Scoops, porbably added a few pounds there...

I bet if you went all out on that list Sean put together and added chain drive too, and maybe went with the absolute skinniest lighest front wheel you could find, and ditched the radiator for drag strip ONLY use you might get one down to 500lbs??

This boat anchor of a motor probably weighs 250lbs or so.......

Last edited:
Know my aluminum swingarm is definitely lighter than a stocker. The rear wheel center hub is also considerably lighter on my ZX6R wheel than a Vmax rear. Aluminum rear sprocket helps a bit too. Smaller rear caliper, caliper mount arm, and no rear brake torque arm adds up the savings too.....

Know my aluminum swingarm is definitely lighter than a stocker. The rear wheel center hub is also considerably lighter on my ZX6R wheel than a Vmax rear. Aluminum rear sprocket helps a bit too. Smaller rear caliper, caliper mount arm, and no rear brake torque arm adds up the savings too.....

Wasn't thinking about the aluminium..Though most of the chain swing arms were steel.

I doubt the stock swingarm w/o the pumkin weight more than 5 or 6 lbs, I was amazed at how THIN it was when I did the notching and bracing on it, a true pain in the ass to weld:bang head:

Stock swingarm is so light that you wouldnt tell it came from v-max.
Especially the crossover bracing pipe has about 1mm thick wall - this is the weakest point of the swingarm.

I swap my stock swingarm to single sided aluminium one and archived not that much as everybody could imagine.

Weighed my Max at the strip last week, 790lbs with me on it. I weigh in at 220ish with full leathers and helmet. So thats around 570lbs with a 1/2 tank of gas. I have flat slide carbs, replacing the stock carbs, airbox, V-boost servo, intake runners and related parts saves some weight.

Latest posts

Back