How long do you warm your bike before riding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lankeeyankee

Reaction score
After all these motors that have ate cranks I am going to change some of my ways.
One is by letting the oil temp warm up to atleast 150 before riding, and last setting the shift light at 9K rather than 10.5
Question is. How many of you let your bike warm up before shifting it into gear? How many drive it a few miles before hauling ass?

Its was 32 degrees celcius at 0800 this morning. First time Max was running in 3 weeks. Warmed up for about 60 sec.

:rocket bike: First time i hit 125mph on the Max (or anything for that matter) today....just about sh%$ my pants and cruised home with a smile:biglaugh:

Its was 32 degrees celcius at 0800 this morning. First time Max was running in 3 weeks. Warmed up for about 60 sec.

:rocket bike: First time i hit 125mph on the Max (or anything for that matter) today....just about sh%$ my pants and cruised home with a smile:biglaugh:

Shift again and stay in the gas till the needle stops moving in the 160 mark.

I hate you!:whistlin:

:biglaugh:

Warm up long enough to put on my gear before dropping it in gear....
No need to shift at 10 anyways, on the street....unless you want the cops to take your bike. That's if they can catch ya.:banana:
BTW I do let it warm fully before gett'n on a heavy throttle. That's the only time the guys I ride with wanna race me....they know damm well that's the only time they'll beat me. - go figure !

Yeah I usually walk out, choke, start the bike, throw my jacket on, lower the choke, helmet, gloves on, lower the choke, adjust jacket around gloves, jump on, ride down the street, choke off. Then it's game on.

I warm it up for a minute or two and then I'm off. The trick is to let oil warm up...takes several miles and until then I take it easy. Keep it under 6000 rpms too.

I warm it up for a minute or two and then I'm off. The trick is to let oil warm up...takes several miles and until then I take it easy. Keep it under 6000 rpms too.

+1 to Mark - the key is getting the oil hot - not just the coolant

Mike

I start it up and let it idle for about 10 minutes before I jump on it and go. I also take it easy for the first few miles...but that is because there is really no place to open it up too hard for a few miles.

Frankly, I love hearing it sit there and idle. So, I don't mind leaving it throbbing away in the driveway for a while.

Mike

I start up with full choke normally, unless it's 80 degrees or the like, then I put on jacket, helmet and gloves. Blip the throttle a couple of time just to guage throttle response and to let my brother know how quiet his FZ1 sounds (LOL). Once choke is off I have to ride about 3/4 of a mile to get out to the main road, by the time I get there Redbone is ready to go at it.:rocket bike:

With the new engine I may just want to wait a bit and let my baby warm up before I head out. Used to let it warm up for about 5 minutes while I put on gear, but now may give it a bit more time. As PCW installs a high pressure oil system, they say 80-85 psi at cold start, I don't want to risk damage by taking off too soon. Besides my Max makes a good alarm clock for my neighborhood LOL:punk:

cool fall winter riding good 10min,,get dressed have a smoke....when summer comes probably be a few min time... i get to a main road its 4 miles at 3000 rpm riding..theres no advantage to warning up a motor over riding slow over 3 0r 4 miles

I always get rolling as soon as I can. But I go slow for a few miles. I always believed an engine will warm up quicker under a load. The speed limit on my road is 30 mph then the last mile before hiway is 40 mph.When I get to the hyway I am ready for the merging thing. Traffic ain't gonna get me from behind. Besides about 100 feet past the on ramp is a overpass. I love to hear my exhaust echoing off the concrete. Dave

I LET MY BIKE WARM UP UNTILL THE FAN IS ABOUT TO COME ON , THIS WAY THE OIL HAS SOME HEAT IN IT ALSO, IF I DON'T IT SPUTTERS & SPITS BACK _"RUNS LIKE SHIT " :rocket bike:

Just long enough to get the helmet on and off I go, it spits and coughs for about 100 Ft then just turn the choke off when I get out of the neighborhood.

I LET MY BIKE WARM UP UNTILL THE FAN IS ABOUT TO COME ON , THIS WAY THE OIL HAS SOME HEAT IN IT ALSO, IF I DON'T IT SPUTTERS & SPITS BACK _"RUNS LIKE SHIT " :rocket bike:

use to get the sputter spit untill i adjusted the air mixture screws now its smooth as silk no poping through carbs when cold

Bike on, choke full, get my junk on, maybe have a smoke, put my helmet and gloves on, reduce choke, ride!

I used to let mine warm up for 5 minutes or so, but after installing a pressure guage and discovering that it takes AT LEAST a 20 minute ride before oil temp goes high enough that pressure stabilizes, I quit doing that and just ride it gently till it's warmed up properly.
Sitting there idling was also KILLING my gas milegae.

Rusty

I let the bike warm enough just so that the choke isn't needed. Then I take it easy - under 4000 - until the temp gauge is registering about 1/4. I started it up after a complete 5 months of winter. Took only one attempt. I love my V-max. Kind of like a girl friend that never grows old and makes me 20 years old again.

Back