How long on spark plugs??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki66

Reaction score
How long are spark plugs generally good for? Or better yet, what is the changing interval on them?
I am running the NGK Iridium plugs and have 8000 miles on them. I was thinking of changing them again, but they are $7 each.

i run OEM spec ones and do them once or twice a season.

^Yes.

The OEM ones, and as often as you feel. They are cheap, and the plugs are relatively easy to do.

Brian

Got 13,000 on mine....just take a look at them, make sure no wear, check gap, reinstall. You don't change your car plugs every 8k.

At the beginning of every season, usually after I've got all the fluids changed, the carbs sync'd and any other maintenance issues I think need doing.
I also run OEM spec.

Cheap insurance, but I do them every winter on all my bikes. Granted three are sport bikes with inline 4 cylinders so getting to them is a PITA. But it's just as easy to put a new set in as it is to put the old set back in. As long as the bike was running right when I pull them I keep the last set around just in case.

Copper only for any of my vehicles - change only when electrode wear is evident or mis-fire is suspected.

Richwrench is correct.....changing plugs all the time is just a waste of money IMO. I am a ASE certified mechanic, and I can tell you there is no bigger farse out there than constantly changing your spark plugs. Yes, I know they are cheap...and hell yes, if it makes you feel better, do it.....but it is not necessary, unless plugs are worn or misfiring.

richwrench is correct.....changing plugs all the time is just a waste of money imo. I am a ase certified mechanic, and i can tell you there is no bigger farse out there than constantly changing your spark plugs. Yes, i know they are cheap...and hell yes, if it makes you feel better, do it.....but it is not necessary, unless plugs are worn or misfiring.

+1.

Richwrench is correct.....changing plugs all the time is just a waste of money IMO. I am a ASE certified mechanic, and I can tell you there is no bigger farse out there than constantly changing your spark plugs. Yes, I know they are cheap...and hell yes, if it makes you feel better, do it.....but it is not necessary, unless plugs are worn or misfiring.

So is running a higher octane than required but how many do it?

Motorcycles are completely immersed in excess. I personally think spark plugs are one of the smaller excesses compared to the modifications some of us make. Just my two cents though. :confused2:

I dunno what the manual spec's, but the only time I've changed spark plugs is when my 2 stroke jetski fouls one every so often. Even then, I pull the plug, use my pencil torch to burn them clean, and re-install.

Spark plugs last virtually forever in 4 stroke motors. I don't believe I've ever changed the plugs in anything I own that's 4 cycle. I pulled them from my truck to prevent them from seizing into the head at about 80,000 miles, they looked fine so I re-installed them. In fact, I can't remember the last time I bought new spark plugs.

I also have never heard of a motor having a problem that was solved by putting new plugs in. It's either firing or it's not, and if it's not firing it's because of some other issue in the motor....too hot, too rich, ect and swapping plugs constantly is just covering up the problem.

Most cars don't even recommend a change until about 100k miles, which on average is about 3500hours on the engine. The parent's Explorer has 33k miles and 850 hours on the engine for reference...mostly all highway.

If plugs last easily 3500 hours in a car, changing them every couple hundred(or less) just seems silly and a waste of money.

besides seeing how your bike is running by reading the plugs, take a look to see if the electrode or ground is worn, test them for spark quality and well if no good chg them otherwise should be good to go. If you have problems with the bike and cant figure out what it is then for sure starting out with good plugs will help your troubleshooting. If your out racing it and trying to squeeze all the power or on a dyno maybe worth it then otherwise what ever floats your boat man.
my 2 cents, I like running NGK's on bikes or small engines, seem to work best, never had problems with them.

Back