How long to wait to clear coat exhaust after painting?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrimerman

Reaction score
I painted the exhaust with VHT 2000 degree paint and bought some VHT header clear coat. I've read for other paint jobs to sand the paint to smooth it then do clear coat. Is the header the same? I'm guessing super fine sand paper to smooth it out then clear coat. Would I just wipe with a moist rag to clear any paint dust before clear coating? Is 24 hrs enough time for paint to dry? Will it all cure ok together? Thanks in advance

Doesn't say on the can of clear?

There are 2 kinds of adhesion when it comes to paint:
1. chemical adhesion. This is the best type of adhesion, it relies on the paint to not be entirely dry when you apply the clear. What stage in the drying process (wet or tacky) depends on the paint type.
2. mechanical adhesion. You'd use this type when you've waited too long and the paint is too dry for chemical adhesion. To achieve mechanical adhesion you sand the paint. The clear "sticks" in the tiny scratches rather than bonding with the paint itself. It works fine, but it isn't the best way to do it.

I'd check the manufacturer's website for best method.

One would think that can would say, but it is literally a copy of what the can of paint said. It listed all the steps to paint the pipes without even mention that it is the clear coat at all.

I painted it 12 hrs ago so I think it might be too dry by tomorrow. Maybe since the clear coat is basically clear paint then I should have kept on adding coats within 10 minutes of the last coat of silver paint. Someone told me that clear coast tend to yellow over time so to avoid it so maybe I'll just not use clear coat.

the last coat of silver paint.

If it is silver I would assume that there is a metal-flake (albeit very fine) content within the paint.
If you flat this then you will remove the 'lacquer' that is binding the flakes together and will get a different effect from what you started with.

If you decide to go down this route then try flatting an area that can't be seen first to gauge the difference it will make.

If it is silver I would assume that there is a metal-flake (albeit very fine) content within the paint.
If you flat this then you will remove the 'lacquer' that is binding the flakes together and will get a different effect from what you started with.

If you decide to go down this route then try flatting an area that can't be seen first to gauge the difference it will make.
Technically it's aluminum color but maybe that's the same.

Back