How many miles do you have on your VMax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I've ridden my 1985 Max (bought new) up to Americade in Lake George NY for many years. I used it as a touring bike till I bought my Roadstar in 2002.
Went through all the phases, saddlebags, windshields, even made a hitch and pulled trailer for about 5 years. (Argueably the world's fastest trailer rig!)

Over the years the mileage racked up and the guys that worked for Yamaha
got to recognise me coming to the rally, and remembered that I was really piling on the miles. In fact, they knew of nobody that had within 20,000 miles of the total on mine. I remember when the Max turned over 100,000 miles, I took a picture of the odometer at 99999.9, then at 00000.0.... Sent them to Yamaha, and got a letter back saying they appreciated my loyalty to the brand.

But they also sent me a keychain.:damn angry: I didn't figure they were like gonna give me a new engine or anything like that, but a keychain seemed kinda lame!

Anyway, Mr. Max is back on the road after a bit of a retirement - no mechanical work done, just a rest! The odometer now reads 117,662 miles.

Can anyone out here beat that?

BTW - Heads never were off. No internal engine work.
(I don't figure a clutch or stator coil internal)

Best $5395.00 I ever spent!

shit, I would be through 20-30 engines easily in that mileage. I do have an 86 Venture engine with 96K on it that still runs good. Going to use it for a big engine build eventually.

Sean

shit, I would be through 20-30 engines easily in that mileage. I do have an 86 Venture engine with 96K on it that still runs good. Going to use it for a big engine build eventually.

Sean

I know that this thread is a bit dated, but being new to this forum, I just read it. I also have an 86 venture motor that I picked up from a local yamaha dealer. This engine has been sitting on a shelf for over 20 years and according to the owner, comes from a wrecked bike that only had 16,000 kms. I have taken the lower case off to have a look inside. The engine is definitely a low mileage motor.

I also want to use it for a big engine build and have a couple of questions. I am hopping that you can help.

Is the stock heads on a vmax a good combination with the 1300 block or do the heads need to be modded? Is the venture clutch basket setup stronger than the vmax's?

Are there any other areas, other than second gear upgrade that needs to be considered?

I know that this thread is a bit dated, but being new to this forum, I just read it. I also have an 86 venture motor that I picked up from a local yamaha dealer. This engine has been sitting on a shelf for over 20 years and according to the owner, comes from a wrecked bike that only had 16,000 kms. I have taken the lower case off to have a look inside. The engine is definitely a low mileage motor.

I also want to use it for a big engine build and have a couple of questions. I am hopping that you can help.

Is the stock heads on a vmax a good combination with the 1300 block or do the heads need to be modded? Is the venture clutch basket setup stronger than the vmax's?

Are there any other areas, other than second gear upgrade that needs to be considered?

I now have an 86 ,1300 venture motor too.I have been told the only differences are milder cams and heavier flywheel and different gearing.Mostly 1st is lower and 5th is taller.Both are 10.5/1 compression.

My '92 just hit 7500 miles this week. Still a baby compared to some of the mileage totals here.:biglaugh:
I bought it with 4300 miles on it from the original owner. His fiance' works with me and she clued me in that she was going to give him a ultimatum. He had a choice between a new boat, 2004 corvette or the Vmax. HE HE, lucky for me he chose the vette and a new boat.

Last edited:
I think I have 2600 on my 2006 which is pretty good if you knew what I went through this year with it...:bang head:

In September I only had 1400 or so on it...:whistlin:

I'm about to 66,000 on mine. Rode to work this morning and it was a balmy 31*F.

Mark

Well Shawn, I don't think the compression is the same. The pistons are for sure different with the Venture pistons being dished out a bit. Now if the heads have the same combustion chamber then the compression would be close to the same since the additional bore would add to the compression (more volume squeezed into the same space).

Yes, swapping over the top end from the Vmax engine onto your lower end of the Venture works quite well.

We tested a similar setup and with only a mildly ported set of Vmax heads and stock Vmax cams we made 133hp and 85 lbs of torque with the stock exhaust and no jet kit!

Sean Morley

Mine made it to 17,200 on the first engine. Got another engine from Sean and have about 1800 miles on it now.

My Max is hibernating for the next few months..
It's called "Winter in Buffalo New York!":confused2:

28,000 + on my '99 bought it 2.5 years ago with 9300

No internal problems yet, just ignition (TCI) and minor carb issues.

Replaced the TCI and coils and have gone through the carbs a couple of times.

My recently sold 1996 max - 92000 miles - only had the second gear issue and my current 2006 max - 11000 miles and no problems yet.

Mike

Last edited:
I have an '85 Vmax that has
26052 actual miles. The previous owner had 25048 miles on it, and I've owned it less than one month. Paid $2500 for it, and it was obviously garage kept. Had to replace the battery, and will have some brake work to do and tires to buy (though tread is still ok for now), otherwise its in excellent shape. The previous owner added a fork stabilizer and a lot of other extra parts.

Latest posts

Back