How much extra lighting can a V-max handle?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
I know there are some good Sparkies out there that can give me some clues on this topic. Input is greatly appreciated.

I have decided to add some extra driving lights to the V-max. Small form factor projector beams are the way I want to go. Two Xenon Gas Discharge Projectors from Hella (55w) or an HID projector (4500k 35w) with ballast are my preferences at the moment.

I have swapped out the stock Regulator / Rectifier for a unit out of 2004 R1.

My question is,

How much extra lighting cam be hung off the standard power supply system (battery and alternator) of the V-max without degrading it's capacity to charge the battery?

Anyone else running driving lights?

Last edited:
The generator on the Max makes about 315 watts, don't know for sure if that's a full load number or was already reduced by Yamaha for 80% loading purposes.

The TCI (this is an average number I found for most TCI's) consumes about 60-80 watts
Headlight 55/60 watts
Taillight 8 watts
Front running lights 8 watts
Guage lights 15 watts

Total load about 146-166 watts

I didn't include the intermittent loads

You wouldn't really want to load the generator more than 80% (standard loading for most electrical stuff) which gives you 252 watts, leaving you 86-106 watts for additional load.

You can buy yourself a small amount of room by changing out all your running lights and tail lights to LED's and installing lower wattage guage lights.

You could load the generator to 100% but you will likely sacrifice some life out of it.

I looked into this once and backed off the idea because of the small generator on the Max, others may have tried it with no problems. I still think about trying it anyway and think it would "probably" be OK.

I've heard there is an 80's model Venture generator that will fit that makes about 500 watts, don't know any details on that

Hope this helps,

Rusty

I had a 110 watt fog light on one of my bikes. It worked well but no one wanted to ride in front of me since it was so bright. I just haven't moved it over to the new bikes yet.

Sean Morley

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Kevman sent an email with similar advice.

Looks like a viable mod.

Your best bet is to replace all the running lights with LED's and then you allow yourself some spare amperage. :thumbs up:

I'm thinking about a DDMtuning HID setup and one of these....

http://www.rigidindustries.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SR-Q2-DR

Or something else from their line. I've got all stock stuff for turn/run/brake, though. I think if I put in a 35W HID setup and have a 35W LED setup on a switch for night trips on country roads, I should be ok with the charging system. That seems to be only 15W more than the stock high beam at most.

I have had ddmtuning stuff on my 4 wheel vehicles for years, and am pleased w/it for the price. I have been debating getting an H4 setup for my 7" Harley (HD) lens headlamp I have now.

I also have some other halogen 4.5" HD driving lights I am gonna try to rig-up, I like that look on the front of a bike, w/the lights array, kinda like the 1960's rally cars. I recently bought a Venture engine, complete, so will try to consider doing something w/it for the good parts it has, like the alternator.

I just want to make sure I order a system that has a 35w low and 35w high beam. Unless you guys are running no high beam with hid...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I ran a 55/100 L/high w/no issues but the bulb trades longevity for illumination I think. My 7" 55/60 watt is so-superior to the anemic stocker I wish I hadn't waited so-long to do it. The light pattern actually illuminates the road, and I don't feel like I'm outdriving the headlight by 75 mph.

I know I can go search, but you got a link for that housing? I'd rather do this with one thing instead of two if possible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If I run all my lights my Odyssey goes flat even at highway speeds. I cannot use all the lights at the same time. The battery has to recover an hour or so before the bike can even start. Here is a list of my power draws.

- 55W100 xenon headlight.
- 2 - 35W fork mounted MotoLights.
- 55W driving light under headlight.
- rear turnsignals replaced with fronts to get running lights at back. About 6-8W.
- rear reflector replaced to add extra brake light ?W. Only on when braking.
- 12V socket to run GPS, phone, etc. Used rarely though.

I did not think this would over power the stock system but it does. That is a constant load of 233W with everything on except the intermittent items. Someone here probably knows what the electronics use to figure a total wattage use. My charging system is fine and voltage testing is good. I have been thinking of upgrading to higher output but haven't decided the best path. I want to add other items including heated grips but can't until I increase output.... :confused2:

M-Cman, that's a crazy number of lights.... Like approaching Goldwing territory.

In 55 years of riding, the closest I have been to getting killed is from behind. I like to light up the back. Like to light up the front also. :biglaugh: You can see the lights in my album. Don't look too bad.

Forgot to add the taillights (2 bulbs). Another ? watts?

Wonder what the bike uses just to run?

In 55 years of riding, the closest I have been to getting killed is from behind. I like to light up the back. Like to light up the front also. :biglaugh: You can see the lights in my album. Don't look too bad.

Forgot to add the taillights (2 bulbs). Another ? watts?

Wonder what the bike uses just to run?

Looks like you are probably drawing ~300+ watts all lit-up. Didn't someone say the CDI was ~ 75 watts?

You should look at the Venture stator, sounds-like.

I share your need to be-seen from the rear. I got a spare pair of front dual element turn signals to make running lights for the rear, but I want to get red lenses for the lollipops. I have a Signal Dynamics license plate surround which has running, brake, and turn signal capacities in it. I have one on my FZR1000 w/o the integrated turn signals, and the running/brake upper & lower LED light bars really make a big difference in rear vehicle awareness.

I popped-out the rear taillight spade terminals from the nylon quick-disconnect, soldered jumper wires on, and then used bullet disconnects to wire the license plate frame in, allowing easy disconnect of all wiring as-needed. No problems w/the load on the circuit, no resistors needed, no funky quick-flashing lights. Just a lot of brightness when the brakes are hit, like being behind a new Escalade sitting in night traffic, where the brake LED's are really-bright.
http://www.signaldynamics.com/index.php/products/led-lighting?page=shop.browse&category_id=57

M-C, that lower rectangular light is how I want to mount the rigidindustries light. It only draws 35W and has crazy optics. I think that with a 7"HID setup would really solve my front lighting issues. I'll work on tail lighting later, but I would like to have one of those license plate brackets.

If you want a nice headlight, check out the new one Sean has on Facebook. It's LED. Look up Morleys Muscle on Facebook.....I want one big time....

I'm pretty sure it's a standard H4 bulb with an LED trim ring. There are LED options for headlights, though.

I did this mod the winter before last.......BEST F'n MOD SO FAR!!....and as Sean mentioned already no one really wants to ride in front of me at night anymore.....they nick-named me Rudolf....'nough said......."Hey!! Rudolf, up front"

I run two 100 watt H4's in a Cybermax and have no issues. Charging voltage is a solid 13.7-14.0

At idle for any length of time I just turn of the headlights and it idles at 13.7 or so as well.

No special electrical mods here, just all the usual fixes.

Back