How much free spin in front wheel?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
Probably a simple question for you experienced vmax owners...I upgraded to a progressive spring up front and when I put everything back together and reinstalled the front brakes I noticed that before the calipers went on, the front wheel spun very easily, but once I slid the calipers back on there was significant friction between the pads and the rotor (The tire spins but there is constant contact). My question is, is there suppose to be continual contact between the pads and the rotor or are they suppose to be more free floating. Never bothered to spin the wheel before I removed the calipers so I can't compare the before and after. Thanks.

my pads drag a bit until it spins a few times. that may not be right but it brakes fine and they don't 'grab' they just 'drag'.

They will always ever so slightly drag. Thats how they work. Its normal.

Ya, unless your system was under vacuum (like on a merc), there is nothing acting on it to pull the brake pads away from the disk. They 'release' the disk when you release the brake, but they only stop pinching at it as tightly, not truly release them. They still ride on the disk. The wear is minamal; after all, the system has been working for vmax since '85.

I have the same problem, but I think my problem was self inflicted. While I was rebuilding my front forks I used a lot of Brake Clean on my calipers to clean out the oil residue on brake pads and all the inner parts of caliper. I think mabe my caliper O-Rings has swelled from the Brake Clean and now the caliper (piston) is sticking because its not able to move back when brake is released as it once did. I will pop my caliper pistons out tomorrow, clean them up and try to get the pistons back in caliper housing. If they won't go back into housing, I can only summize O-Rings are swollen from the chemical attack of Brake Clean. Also my front brake lever is tight and no free play is there after the great cleaning job I did with Brake Clean.

Zexus
When riding the slight side to side movement of the disc's will 'knock' the pads back and minimise any drag.

Alorio
More likely that the brake cleaner has removed the brake fluid that would normally act as a lubricant.

Suggest a light wipe with fluid around the seals and bores when you re-assemble.

Yes, I think I will take your suggestion and give it a try.......thanks

Zexus
When riding the slight side to side movement of the disc's will 'knock' the pads back and minimise any drag.

Alorio
More likely that the brake cleaner has removed the brake fluid that would normally act as a lubricant.

Suggest a light wipe with fluid around the seals and bores when you re-assemble.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys. Really appreciate the quick responses and detailed answers.

Back