i almost cut my thumb off today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrubbers4x4

Reaction score
Well i was cutting some wood on the table saw today to make some shelves for our bathroom. i got done cutting and shut the saw off but didnt wait until the blade quit turning before i reach for the piece i had just cut. i dont know where my head was, or what the hell i was thinking... i spent pretty much all afternoon in the ER at Windber hospital just so they could take some xrays of it and stick some gauze pads on it. i cut all the way to the bone, taking out the nerves and tendons... i have to go tomorrow for surgery so they can re-attach the things in there and stitch me back together. let me share a little tidbit of advise with any of you that use a table saw with the guard off, put your guards back on, it only takes a second for you to think about something else and almost lose an extremity...

at least its winter time so i wont lose any riding time... it kinda puts a damper on doing the mods i wanted to do though...dammit:bang head::bang head:

Sucks man!
I put a 1/2" hole in my hand in a drill press the same way. I just wasn't thinking.
I hope all goes well and you don't need therapy for the healing.

you just reminded me I need to order a splitter. I have a nice dent in my tool cabinet now from a nasty litle kickback incident this past summer. Good luck with the healing process hope all goes well.

In most cases I don't like all of the guards that companies and lawyers put on equipment, however a table saw is one of the few that really should have them installed.

This company makes a really cool product. Watch the video
http://www.sawstop.com/

Sucks! I got mine years ago with a chain saw. Same as you, didn't cut it off, but cut through the tendons and nerves to the bone. I had to have plastic surgery to reattach everything. Be careful and good luck!!

Hi Big,
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope your healing is quick and complete. I teach high school shop and the thought of an "incident" like yours scares the hell out of me. I teach safety in just about every lesson but you know kids!!!!

Lew

In most cases I don't like all of the guards that companies and lawyers put on equipment, however a table saw is one of the few that really should have them installed.

This company makes a really cool product. Watch the video
http://www.sawstop.com/

I've seen this before and I think if I worked with wood, I'd have one. It's usually the 'ol timers that make this mistake because they get comfy.

Glad you made it out WITH your thumb BR!

:ttiwwp:

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

i will try to get some pics tomorrow at the doctors office, hopefully he is gonna put it back together so it can start healing... sons a bitches made me sit around all day today with this big gaping wound wrapped with gauze... the ER didnt even clean out the wound yesterday, they just dumped some saline on it and wrapped it... if it gets infected i'm really gonna be pissed!!!

i will try to get some pics tomorrow at the doctors office, hopefully he is gonna put it back together so it can start healing... sons a bitches made me sit around all day today with this big gaping wound wrapped with gauze... the ER didnt even clean out the wound yesterday, they just dumped some saline on it and wrapped it... if it gets infected i'm really gonna be pissed!!!
Some of these ER's piss me off My last bad wreck they did not even clean all the dirt & frass out of my mouth while I was unconsious they just told my family that all my teethe were gone. My mom & exwife cleaned my mouth out & I still had all my teeth.

well, they didn't do surgery today, all the doctor did was look at it and scheduled surgery for tomorrow... cost me $20 for him to do this... so, now i am on day number 4 since the accident happened. I'm going first thing in the morning for surgery though....finally. i did however get some pics for you guys tonight when my wife changed the dressing cause it was bleeding through a little bit. here ya go 88vmx12

163456_1525429665345_1522748361_31065745_1771001_n.jpg

164725_1525429025329_1522748361_31065744_8063379_n.jpg

167668_1525428425314_1522748361_31065743_7892554_n.jpg

Gah, I hate it when they wait so long to do the surgery. Looks nasty and I hope the surgery goes well so you can start rehab'n and healing.

well, finally had surgery today. the doctor said he was able to find the digital nerves and the tendon and re attach them. now the waiting game!! now i'm in some sort of cast that dont let me move my thumb. the worst part about this whole thing is i'm left handed and its my left thumb. thanks for the prayers guys, hopefully i will be able to recover 100% so i have no probs riding my max this summer. thank god this happened in the winter...

heres some pics of it after the surgery.

167033_1548898772058_1522748361_31103813_751953_a.jpg

179840_1548898452050_1522748361_31103812_97356_a.jpg

i got the stitches out today and lemme tell ya, man did it hurt. then the doctor picked all the scabs off and all the dead skin off, i will get some new pics tomorrow of the healing process and the button sewn to the top of my thumb to keep me from bending it.

Latest posts

Back