I am alive LOL!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jodi is keeping Toxic safe and warm for the upcoming winter until I can get home. She is a keeper for sure, loves Toxic as much as I do and knows the personal value of Toxic. Good woman for sure!!!!
That she is !!!

For sure. $5k might be a realistic price for a heavily modded 1997 VMax like Toxic (if you sold it outright). Definitely more valuable to you as a keeper.

Blaine

$5k? c'mon man thats rediculous. i'm not saying he'd even get 1/3 of what he paid but i'd expect close to $8-10k.

$5k? c'mon man thats rediculous. i'm not saying he'd even get 1/3 of what he paid but i'd expect close to $8-10k.

Been offered considerably more than what Blaine said for Toxic (even quite a bit more than your estimate Garrett, but I cannot part with my baby. The bike would be worth more parted out for sure and as a whole is no where near the sum of the parts. One doesn't customize a bike with resale in mind, it is an intensely personal thing.

For a bike like that in perfect working condition, maybe 8k. When you get into 10k you're looking at used Gen-2 prices which would probably be much more saleable than a heavily modded Gen-1. Of course, that's not to say that there aren't people out there who would be willing to pay even more than 10k if that's what you like.

Blaine

Been offered considerably more than what Blaine said for Toxic (even quite a bit more than your estimate Garrett, but I cannot part with my baby. The bike would be worth more parted out for sure and as a whole is no where near the sum of the parts. One doesn't customize a bike with resale in mind, it is an intensely personal thing.

I believe it. My price was more if u needed to sell tomorrow I bet it go at that price.

Perceived value vs actual value are different, for sure. No offense but as a trade-in Toxic may not even get 5k unless the saleperson was a Vmax fan. The marketplace dictates actual value but that's not to say there isn't a certain rare buyer out there who would pay 10k (or even more) for a bike like Toxic.

The National Gallery of Canada paid 1.8 million for a painting entitled Voice of Fire.

Blaine

Blaine,

I'm not sure what your intentions are with your posts on this thread, but to me your coming off like an ass.

Read back your posts and tell me if your trying to be supportive or trying to kick somebody when he is down.

Seriously, if you don't have something positive to say, than keep it to yourself.

Mike

If I were to price out a huge and expensive customization of the Mistress, why wouldn't I be willing to buy a bike like Toxic for a big asking price instead? It's done, together, shaken down and ready to ride now.
Steve-o

If I were to price out a huge and expensive customization of the Mistress, why wouldn't I be willing to buy a bike like Toxic for a big asking price instead? It's done, together, shaken down and ready to ride now.
Steve-o

That is basically what the person who was interested in Toxic said. He didn't have the time to do a custom Vmax himself and as Toxic was what he was looking for he wanted to buy. Not to say how much, but the number was well above $10k.

Blaine has a point about trade in. No place would take Toxic on trade as there is too much done to the bike and unless I gave them a complete write up on what parts are where, i.e. the swingarm started out as a 2004 ZX-12R swingarm, they wouldn't even be able to help a new owner with replacement parts as things wear out.

It would have to be a serious Vmax enthusiast who saw exactly what they wanted in a Max to buy Toxic. Not that I will sell any time soon!:punk::punk:

Bikes like Toxic or my bike would have to have an idiot for an owner that would try to TRADE it in!! Dealers are infamous crooks and they think any changes make it worth less because they look at anything they get should be at wholesale prices. They just want to get it in and right back out especially a model over so many years old they just send to an auction if bike dealers are anything like car dealers. They can't afford to have it sitting on their floor waiting for that one specific buyer looking to do to a Vmax the same as we have them customized to our liking. But ANYONE thinking they could get such a highly modded max as either of ours for 5 grand is in fucking dreamland!! I'd actually get pissed if someone said that my bike was only worth that much. I'm surprised you didn't when Blaine suggested that. But seeing the nature of this whole thread I can see why you didn't. Let somebody try that to me and I'll tell them sure as soon as I take the swingarm, wheels, and chrome off then they can still kiss my ass cause I wouldn't sell to an asshole who thinks we are going to take a fraction of the price that we have in parts alone. I would think if you actually wanted to sell it then you'd have to put a lot of time into finding someone who wants a custom Vmax with very similar taste and no time to build it. And like anything if you find that certain person who likes it enough you could get a lot more for it. Just depends on how much they like it! Cause if they planned on customizing it heavily they would find out quick how much effort and money it takes to build one. The people that say 5 grand consider a set of cobras, a backrest and a windshield and MAYBE even a paint job a highly modded bike! What a tool. I started this a few times but calmed down and deleted it but fuck it, it should be said. Ed✨

Steve-o

It is possible that more than 1 person will appreciate someone else's final vision of project bike and give that person what he/she thinks its worth.

However, I believe, in the vast majority of cases that for every person willing to drop kkkkk+ on mods you will have someone wanting to be involved in the process the final product will be fairly unique. In my opinion none of these final products will be worth the sum of the parts (except to the owner and possibly a a few others who share similar tastes). And if we were to discuss actual trade-in values of such bikes at a dealership, we'd be talking some truly appauling numbers.

In some instances sometimes the lower number is the best number to talk about! ;o)

Blaine

Bikes like Toxic or my bike would have to have an idiot for an owner that would try to TRADE it in!! Dealers are infamous crooks and they think any changes make it worth less because they look at anything they get should be at wholesale prices. They just want to get it in and right back out especially a model over so many years old they just send to an auction if bike dealers are anything like car dealers. They can't afford to have it sitting on their floor waiting for that one specific buyer looking to do to a Vmax the same as we have them customized to our liking. But ANYONE thinking they could get such a highly modded max as either of ours for 5 grand is in fucking dreamland!! I'd actually get pissed if someone said that my bike was only worth that much. I'm surprised you didn't when Blaine suggested that. But seeing the nature of this whole thread I can see why you didn't. Let somebody try that to me and I'll tell them sure as soon as I take the swingarm, wheels, and chrome off then they can still kiss my ass cause I wouldn't sell to an asshole who thinks we are going to take a fraction of the price that we have in parts alone. I would think if you actually wanted to sell it then you'd have to put a lot of time into finding someone who wants a custom Vmax with very similar taste and no time to build it. And like anything if you find that certain person who likes it enough you could get a lot more for it. Just depends on how much they like it! Cause if they planned on customizing it heavily they would find out quick how much effort and money it takes to build one. The people that say 5 grand consider a set of cobras, a backrest and a windshield and MAYBE even a paint job a highly modded bike! What a tool. I started this a few times but calmed down and deleted it but fuck it, it should be said. Ed✨

Amen my brother. You saved me some serious think and type time . All I can add is : if you don't have one , you probably still want one . Stock or Custom is up to the Man that has one.

It's an extremely small niche market to begin with, few buyers for the vmax and even fewer willing to spring big bucks on a modded one.
Our bikes aren't rare, they are truly just not that popular except to our cult.
Means a small market to begin with.
Most heavily modded ones are products of years of evolution driven by desire to continually renew. I know I didn't start out wanting the bike I ended up with, I just wanted a vmax, then the mods began.
I doubt my 1540 stoker max with all the exactrep shit, expensive paint and way too many other items to even list would sell for more than the price I have in the engine alone.
My cost from purchase till now is probably 3 1/2 times what's in the engine plus hundreds of hours of my own time.
I know I would never buy a bike modded like mine mostly cause of the trust factor of wondering if it had been "done right" in addition to the pleasure of doing it myself.
There are many like me so that cuts down the buyers market even more.
I know there are guys who do just want to own one with out the hassle of building it, witness the availability of turn key street Rods. But not that many.

I knew full well though that its not an investment and the money is being spent in the same fashion as vacation money, for enjoyment and pleasure alone with little tangible value compared to the real cost.

The other key in recouping cost is finding the magic combination of someone with both the desire for the bike and the money.
I could never have afforded to buy my bike for what's in it. Doing it myself over several years was like having it on a payment plan.
I'd never even think about selling it now because the gaping, bleeding asshole I'd have after selling it would force me to realize daily what a financial loss the whole endeavor represents, without the offset of enjoyment of ownership.
It's the nature of any hot rod.

Love to read the posts and see my thoughts echoed so precisely! When I went down the path I have gone down with Toxic it was not with an eye on resale it was to make my bike what I wanted. While I won't go into exactly how much I have invested I know that there is no way on this earth that I would every recoup anywhere near what I have invested. Hence that is why Toxic is sitting in my garage and not in someone else's.

...if you don't have one , you probably still want one...

Had one, sold it, not getting another! In my opinion there's too many modern motorcycles that are both more more exciting/functional than a Gen-1 and just as exciting and more functional than a Gen-2 (e.g. ZX14).

However, should I win the lotto and take up motorcycle collecting then a red Gen-2 would probably be in my heated garage!

Blaine

PS: Still alive, Jim?!

Had one, sold it, not getting another! In my opinion there's too many modern motorcycles that are both more more exciting/functional than a Gen-1 and just as exciting and more functional than a Gen-2 (e.g. ZX14).

However, should I win the lotto and take up motorcycle collecting then a red Gen-2 would probably be in my heated garage!

Blaine

PS: Still alive, Jim?!

What I said , and me too !

Back