I enjoy riding my bike more than working on it... stranded today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put in seafoam and new fuel filter, fired up and ran another half mile before dying again. It was idling about 600rpm roughly, but would accept throttle and run ok. I guess I go through the carbs.

For the record, no gas came out when changing the filter.

Being as you have to disconnect the fuel line when removing the carb rack, why not run the line into 'an approved container' :biglaugh: and cycle the fuel pump, get an idea of fuel flow and pressure.

Pretty sure the system runs at 3 psi, I don't know what the flow rate is. :confused2:

Thanks, I'm thinking fuel pump at this point. Did the shotgun, but without a compressor, I'm not getting any joy. Just blew Berryman's through everything, took an hour and a half cleaning them. Was getting flow everywhere, runs like the same old shit. It started out promising, then burned the carb cleaner in the bowl I guess and quit again. My garage is woefully inadequate as a mechanic's station. I didn't plan on dusting off every mechanic's skill I ever had just to ride the thing. It's starting to piss me off.

My garage is too dark, I don't have all the tools I need, and why, for fuck's sake did they make one of the screws on the carb a freakin' tiny metric star screw? Like somebody is going to steal it? Had to use channel locks to break them all loose, every one of them were frozen in there. I'm seriously not having a good time over here. I didn't know a fuel pump could kinda work. WTF?

I'll go find info on the fuel pump and start studying that.
thanks

Man do I know where your coming from. My shop is a lean to over a small slab of concrete with no light other than a little plug in drop light. All of my tools are standard as I am used to working on a 1972 Harley and old Ford trucks. I got my bike to ride while I was working on the Harley and I've had to work on the Max more than the Harley.
BUT once you get it going and it is purring like it's supposed to there's nothing like it. I got so frustrated that I put mine on Craigslist for less than a grand just to get rid of it but the same day I got some parts from Sean and one of them worked. It was a great feeling to accomplish it and it is a great feeling to go ride and know you did it.
Just keep asking questions and keep us up to date on what if any changes you have and I'm sure you can get it worked out.
Duke

AND OMFG LOOK WHAT I PUMPED OUT OF MY FUEL TANK
Does anybody know what this is? Is this water? I thought water was heavier than gas. Is it pure ethanol? I'm fixing to use a squeeze bulb and put a little into a stainless condiment holder, then sniff it and see if it burns, which I doubt. The fuel pump's got no issues, pumps like a mad bastard. I bet a hundred bucks my carbs are squeaky clean now too.
badgas.jpg

It burns like Pappy's corn liquor. Hope I haven't damaged anything. Total of 1 mile on this tank.

AND OMFG LOOK WHAT I PUMPED OUT OF MY FUEL TANK
Does anybody know what this is? Is this water? I thought water was heavier than gas. Is it pure ethanol? I'm fixing to use a squeeze bulb and put a little into a stainless condiment holder, then sniff it and see if it burns, which I doubt. The fuel pump's got no issues, pumps like a mad bastard. I bet a hundred bucks my carbs are squeaky clean now too.
badgas.jpg

Yup, water is heavier, so it's definately not that.

Last update for the fix because it helped me when searching these threads. Sometimes people solve the problems and never report back :ummm:

I rigged a jumper from the fuel pump after confirming on the schematic that the black was ground. Put the battery on the trickle charger and pumped 3 gallons into the containers I had on hand. Called the C-store guy and told him and he said it might have been really old. I've been buying tobacco from him for years, never bought much gas. He said they would help me out. I'm taking this gas back to him in the morning and trading fresh gas cans for mine. I'll finish pumping it out as far as it will go, then I'm going to put seafoam in what is left at max strength. Fill it up with fresh Techron from the new gas cans he's going to have to give me. (I'm not buying his gas!)

I think it's going to run fine. I'm going to ask him for $100 for the tow, $10 for the Seafoam and $10 for the gas. If he does that I won't ask for my time back.

I was waiting for one of you guys to say "But aren't you glad you got to know your carbs and everything is shiny and clean now, including the airbox?"

:clapping::punk:

I was just wondering how you fit a taco through the gas line.:rofl_200:

Nice job of trouble shooting 't,' it doesn't seem like you're ready for the "aren't you glad to know your carbs are clean" comment yet so I'll just say good luck with the station guy! :rofl_200:

You use taco sauce! :clapping:

We have a winner! It's 36 degrees and misting, but I took it out for a 1.5 mile test. Max is back! I discovered in the process the front left carb air screw was nearly all the way in. They are all at 3 1/8 and purring again.

Nice job of trouble shooting 't,' it doesn't seem like you're ready for the "aren't you glad to know your carbs are clean" comment yet so I'll just say good luck with the station guy! :rofl_200:

And Happy Thanksgiving to you too :eusa_dance:

Not one of the AMA mechanics I talked to suggested draining the gas to test it, but you guys did. Rock on.

Trav

Great job Trav! Now you can enjoy your thanksgiving day with the Vmax back in top running condition and that you did all the work! Good on ya! :thumbs up:

Thanks Redbone! It's supposed to be back in the 60s tomorrow or Saturday. Maybe I'm weird, I just wanted it running right, whether I can ride or not. I couldn't sit still knowing there was work to do. Then again, sometimes I go in the garage just to look at it and make sure it's really mine too!

Thanks Redbone! It's supposed to be back in the 60s tomorrow or Saturday. Maybe I'm weird, I just wanted it running right, whether I can ride or not. I couldn't sit still knowing there was work to do. Then again, sometimes I go in the garage just to look at it and make sure it's really mine too!

Uhm....sounds perfectly normal to me!! :punk:

I owe the bike an apology for thinking it was broken when it was entirely innocent in this tragedy. I think I'll show my appreciation by polishing out the scoops. :punk:

Wow, t, I'm glad it worked out for you. Although I can sympathize (read my Trouble in Paradise thread), I still laughed at some of your descriptions - "Burns like Pappy's corn liquor". Funny shit.

Even stranger is that the symptoms you described were IDENTICAL to the way mine was running. However, my trouble ended up being carp in the carbs and was cured with the SHOTGUN.

Take away here? A completely accurate diagnosis cannot be made simply by describing how she behaves. Sometimes you have to put a little science behind it and recall the circumstances.

For me, a furious blast through the gears and suddenly running like carp. SHOTGUN cleaned the carp.

For you, a gas fill and suddenly half dead. Bad gas.

Both clear as a bell - after the fact. I believe we can all learn from this and pay attention to conditions leading up to a problem - if possible.

Hi desert max, I was reading your diagnosis as well when I was working on mine. You're absolutely right. I would have thought it improbable that my carbs would be dirty after running perfect for a couple thousand miles. If it happened right after I got it, maybe. Either way, they're cleaner than they were and it's running great.

After the fact, we're awesome mechanics :punk:

Latest posts

Back