I found a 17 inch radial tire size

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
Yesterday I was checking the rear 180/55X17 on my bike that has no notching and it is rubbing against the swing arm! though when I installed it and filed 1/8 of rubber off,it did not rub but was very close,this makes me believe that the tire actually swells up a little with use:realmad: so I decided to look for the 170 and order one but came across a weired size 160/70ZR17
This tire fits a rim4.5 to 5.5 max and is just 9mm shorter than the stock 150/90X15 While the 180/55X17 is 3cm lower than the stock.
I care more about performance vs fat tire look so I ordered it, this is good news for people thinking about a venture drive because this size tire will not affect the RPM like the 180/55X17.
Its kinda limited , only Metzler and bridgestone have this size, I ordered the Metzler Z4, I always felt the 180 is not good handling curves but lived with it because I just bought it, it looks good though but I like to ride more than sit and admire the rear of the bike:red ass:
firefly
________
mac games

Last edited:
yeah i would guess the tire would expand under use. Generally heat makes things expand

Thanks for the info, Ibrahim. I have an Avon 180/55R17 and I really find it gears the bike too low. As soon as I finish spinning the rest of the life out of the Avon I'll have to try the 160 / 70R17. I'll probably go with the Z4. I had Z4s on an SV650 and got good life and decent traction from them.:eusa_dance:

ViciousCycle said:
Thanks for the info, Ibrahim. I have an Avon 180/55R17 and I really find it gears the bike too low. As soon as I finish spinning the rest of the life out of the Avon I'll have to try the 160 / 70R17. I'll probably go with the Z4. I had Z4s on an SV650 and got good life and decent traction from them.:eusa_dance:

What do you mean by forks cut 1 inch? lowered internally or cut?
Ibrahim
________
BMW Sauber F1.07 history

Last edited:
Lowered internally by UFO cycles by previous owner. I better change my signature as "cut" is too ambiguous.

Good stuff Firefly! Let us know how it works out. Are you already running a radial up front? Did you go with aftermarket wheels? :rocket bike:

Black98Vmax said:
Good stuff Firefly! Let us know how it works out. Are you already running a radial up front? Did you go with aftermarket wheels? :rocket bike:

Yes I am running radials 17 front and rear, the handling benefits are all in the 17 front, the rear 180/55 looks nice but lowered the bike so much that the kick stand drags in Lt turns unless a rider like to make sparks on the asphalt , the slight increase in RPM is a BIG PLUS in street riding,bike takes off fast.
I have kosman wheels which for the price$1000 are well worth it vs $4000 for other wheels,I would rather spend on inverted forks than fancy wheels, I ride the bike not stare at it,so it's OK with me having bolts on the wheels and I love the fact that they are not too shiny.
Having an 18 front and 17 rear just cancels most of the benefits of radial conversion.The max needs either a smaller front wheel or reducing the rake through the steering neck which I'll never trust anyone to mess with it!
also the 160/70ZR17 will shift the COG forward which is an added benefit in addition to being more nimble in turns which is very important to my riding.
Some days I start my day going through nice canyons as my cup of coffee since I am very close the Santa Monica mountains.
180/55x17 sucks X 100.:Flush000:
________
Acura CSX history

Last edited:
Firefly,

Got that new tire yet? Inquiring minds want to know...
Seriously, can't wait for a full review from you on it.

P.S. Is that "Firefly" as in the SciFi series? That was a great show.

shawn kloker said:
Ibrahim,I love my 180/55/zr17.Hooks up like hell at the track.

Shawn, I love the 180/55X17 Z6 but the kick stand clearance and rubbing against the swing arm is what is making me change it, In canyons the kick stand rubs so I can't lean the bike enough in Lt turns. The RPM rise is a great plus in street riding and drag racing but not in sustained free way speeds say 80-90 MPH.
I think also my riding style is totally different than your riding,
I hate to have to change a perfectly good tire after 1000 miles but the other tire is expected to be delivered today so I'll install it in the next few days.
My observation regarding the Z6 is the tire grips real good but leans the bike faster than I want especially with the clearance problem, that mushroom profile is more for sport bikes or at least a max with hefty inverted forks and wider triples:((, I only have race tech.
I think that the the Z4 160/70X17 is going to satisfy my need and riding style its the best of both worlds 1- its radial 2- no change in RPM 3- round profile for natural lean feel, and is designed for heavy loads.
I changed the front to radial and left the rear bias at the beginning to see if mixing radial and bias was really bad and discovered that it is really bad.
But when I put the 180 rear it caused 3.2 cm lowering of the rear which I shifted the center of gravity back wards ( that I did not like ) plus the clearance issue became annoying.
Will keep you guys posted about that ne size tire I'll be installing.
________
Lincoln-Zephyr specifications

Last edited:
I finally installed the 160/70X ZR17 Z4 Metzler tire, still in scrubbing phase ( only 45 miles on it) and my first impression is WOW:th_image003: X 100%
Everything I expected is true and some more! it is really sad that people get sucked into the fat tire look and give no attention to performance then go buy a rear venture final drive when all that is needed is the correct sized rear tire! ( leave the rear stock height and lower the front from the fork and using 17 inch wheels !!!)
I also got sucked into the fat tire look and in all the researching I did,NO one ever mentioned this size tire, maybe because everyone is so fixated on a fat rear tire.
I too felt great after installing a rear 180/55XZR17 Z6 but soon discovered that something is not right, if it wasn't for the rubbing against the swing arm I would have been singing the 180/55 tune, the fat tire looks awesome BUT handling is not that hot if nimbleness and curves is what is desired! for straight line riding the 180 is good but you have to settle for the increased RPM, its not much but becomes a little irritating to always be at a higher RPM even if riding in a relaxed manner, the engine just feels like its laboring ( at least to me) some would go for a differential change which was never convincing for me, but this is a personal choice that each one of us has to take a decision for.
My assessment of the 160/70ZR17 size rear tire.
1- RPM back to normal since the tire is 9mm shorter than the stock 150/90X15 which is actually 4.5 mm difference in hight, compared to a 180/55X17 which is 3.2 cm that is a 1.6cm lower than stock! since the total hight of the tire has to be divided by 2 to get the actual hight difference when installed on the bike.
2- The 70 profile is a big plus as it provides more air cushion Vs the 55 profile
So the ride is more comfortable on less than perfect roads and easy on your back.
3- It also looks great unless you dream of fat tires.
4- The rear of the bike remains ~ stock hight , this together with one inch internal fork lowering and a 17 front 120/70X17 the weight bias of the bike is shifted forward as it SHOULD! so handling in turns is superb to say the least,Now the bike's handling is as close as it will get to a sports bike nimbleness and precision.
5- No need for notching the swing arm which in my opinion DOES weaken the swing arm, and no clearance issues at all( no washer swapping )
6- The bike is SWEET beyond words!, straight line stability is out of this world.
Conclusion: A+++ handling , engine RPM is the same as stock and happy, the rear height of the bike is maintained which also makes the bike lean easier than with the 180/55 tire, The front end stays put on the asphalts like the bike is on a rail.In a scale 1-10 I give it 10.
Some advice if going with Kosman wheels: ask for the welded Vs bolted wheels or else check the bolts torque every now and then , There is NO way a 90* valve stem can be used on Kosman rear wheel so ask Sandy at kosman if he can make a notch above the valve stem for clearance ( so you can use any kind of inflater found in gas stations and not just the round head one which is the only one that fits the current configuration).
the 160/70ZR17 size is a little hard to find but Z4, bridgestone, Avon and some others can be found.
All the talk is usually focused on the rear tire since the front stock wheel can accept an 18 radial, people tend to think of changing the rear wheel only and will reap the radial handling advantages well let me tell you,THE MOST IMPORTANT BENEFIT IS FROM THE 17 INCH FRONT BUT SINCE THE 15 INCH REAR STOCK SIZE IS UN AVAILABLE IN RADIALS, BOTH WHEELS HAVE TO BE CHANGED TO 17 NO WAY AROUND IT!
I am now a fanatic 17 inch wheel user! nothing will ever change my mind to lean to an 18 inch wheel.
Don "oldman" is absolutely spot on to insist on 17 not 18 wheels, others using 17 wheels also become fanatic, its like "its a 17 inch thing" that no one will understand unless they try it or ride a bike that has 17 for a day or so not just for a spin.
For the 18 inch wheels fans, please don't feel bad about it,just change the front to 17 and you will be pleasantly surprised since the rear 18 wheel /tire combo keeps the rear ~ stock height but you will not be able to use anything but a 180/55X18:( or bigger
For people that already changed the final drive to a venture a 160/70X17 will make the bike's RPM drop even further so in 5th gear you might be able to go 80 MPH at 3500 RPM but acceleration will suffer a little.
:eusa_dance: :band: :thumbup1: :cheers00: :banana: :smoke000: :nud:
the effect of 17 front on turning radius, rake and trail is what the doctor ordered for max handling! and specifically : front 120/70X17, rear 160/70X17
I still think Kosman for the price is the way to go but ask for WELDED wheels.
________
uhwh

Last edited:
Thanks, Firefly. Stuff like this is what makes forum-reading worthwhile.:thumbup1:

I'll be working hard at shredding my avon 180 55/17 so I can justify buying a 160 70/17. Then I'll see after that if I still need to go back to stock length shocks(currently 11.5" - installed by previous owner) to quit scraping my front pipes on curves.

Re: I found a 17 inch radial tire size Photos

The photos of the 180/55 and the 160/70 tires on my bike, they both look great but the 160/70 also lowered the RPM to ~ stock
________
silversurfer vaporizer

Attachments

• 16070 tire 005 (800 x 600).jpg
    16070 tire 005 (800 x 600).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 16070 tire 006 (800 x 600).jpg
    16070 tire 006 (800 x 600).jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Motoclock 002 (600 x 800) (450 x 600).jpg
    Motoclock 002 (600 x 800) (450 x 600).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Between the picture on the road and in the parking lot, did you do a burnout as the tread in the center of the tire seems to be missing? Also is that your helmet on the bike? That's a half helmet isn't it?

Buster Hymen said:
Between the picture on the road and in the parking lot, did you do a burnout as the tread in the center of the tire seems to be missing? Also is that your helmet on the bike? That's a half helmet isn't it?

That is the metzler Z6, it looks like that new, yes that is a brain bucket helmet.
________
Suzuki Katana history

Last edited:
Can someone with stock wheels find out what RPM in fifth gear at 60 MPH and at 80 MPH on a level road then post it here, also if someone with a 17 wheel that has 180/55 or 190/50X17 can post RPM at above speeds in 5th gear. I think this is good information for all of us to know.
Thanks
________
vaporite solo vaporizer

Last edited:
I checked. On a 170/80x15 Metzeler ME880 (I know)

60 mph = 3.9k in 5th
70 mph = 4.5k in 5th
80 mph = 5.1k in 5th

firefly, your numbers are what I was hoping to get with a venture drive and stock wheels. Has your speedometer been calibrated to the 17" front tire?

BLKMAX said:
I checked. On a 170/80x15 Metzeler ME880 (I know)

60 mph = 3.9k in 5th
70 mph = 4.5k in 5th
80 mph = 5.1k in 5th

firefly, your numbers are what I was hoping to get with a venture drive and stock wheels. Has your speedometer been calibrated to the 17" front tire?

Yes I changed the speedo gear after the 17 front convesion.
I tested again
70 mph = 4.1 in 5th
80 mph = 4.9 in 5th
But factors like the rider's weight and wind also play a role in speed/RPM
I am 180 Lb.

Last edited:
Back