i want to put nitrous on my vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwtech

Reaction score
ive been wanting to put nitrous on my vmax for a while now but havent had any luck in finding a "kit". i was wondering if anyone knows where to find a kit and how much it usually costs to put a nitrous setup on a vmax. the bike is an 88. any info would be greatly appriciated. i live in the pan handle of florida.

Here's a trick setup for a small bottle I did on my old turbo bike. You'd have to use individual filters to do this. If you want I can set you up with the brackets for the bottle.

NOS 1.jpg

NOS 2.jpg

NOS 3.jpg

The REAL trick is making sure you add enough fuel to go with the NOS, otherwise you'll go super lean and put a hole in the top of a piston in a nanosecond.

No real trick there. Just make sure your fuel jets are two sizes larger than your Nitrous jets. You also would want a fuel pressure switch to kill the Nitrous system if fuel pressure drops(pump failure, etc).

turbovmax that is a real trick way to mount the bottle, ive got individual filters right now on the bike, does the tank cover fit over that bottle and what size is the bottle (1.5lbs, 2lbs, ect.)? i was looking at some kits and it seems they are around $900.00. what is the biggest shot that is safe to run on a stock motor and what size main jets should i use? right now ive got 165 in there i had 175 it seems as tho with the 165 it runs a little lean up top havent ran it on a dyno tho to see if it is or not. thanx for the input so far.

I'm sure Gary(Turbovmax) fit everything under the faux tank cover. He's anal about things like that(go ahead and try to deny it Gary!).
Your only option with a carb'd bike is to run a WET nitrous kit. That being said, you will NOT need to change ANY of your carb jetting. The wet kit will add the appropriate fuel and nitrous when you hit the button. Not sure whats considered a "safe" limit on stk motor, but i'm sure a stk V-max can handle a 50-60hp shot.

Do a search. I believe there are more than a couple of indepth posts about nitrous on this site.

turbovmax that is a real trick way to mount the bottle, ive got individual filters right now on the bike, does the tank cover fit over that bottle and what size is the bottle (1.5lbs, 2lbs, ect.)? i was looking at some kits and it seems they are around $900.00. what is the biggest shot that is safe to run on a stock motor and what size main jets should i use? right now ive got 165 in there i had 175 it seems as tho with the 165 it runs a little lean up top havent ran it on a dyno tho to see if it is or not. thanx for the input so far.

If your not in a real hurry you may want to start by buying a good book on the subject. Once you understand how the NOS works you can purchase stuff on your own... save your self some money by buying the individual components on lets say ebay or classified's. Plenty of that stuff out there. The bottles is a 1 pound size.

The 50 HP shot is safe and you can use more. My friend ran 100 but I wouldn't do it. When you start adding big shots you should also pull the timing back on the fly. The Dyna 3000 is supposed to be able to do that but I don't trust the DYNA box... and wouldn't buy one after having bad experience with the turbo bike.

When I get home this evening I'll post a good read on Nitrous to get you started. And yes the bottle does fit under the hood. The drawback to having a small bottle is it needs to be filled often. There are tricks to doing that at home, but then you need 2 bottles a big one and a little one.

IMO nitrous is a pain in the ass. Save your money and put a turbo on it. We'll be going there after the EFI project is complete.

And yes I am anal :biglaugh: Mark... In a non sexual way of course.

Gary, I'd love to see shots of the setup under the NOS bottle!! :worthy:

id love to hold off for the turbo but it seems that is gonna be one of those projects that would require alot of know how as far as the fab work goes and the whole converting the bike to efi sounds expensive as well i couldnt even get a local bike speed shop to help me with NOS let alone help with somethin like that. gary, maybe ill pick your brain here in a few years on that subject

I've been running nirous on my bikes for going on 26 years. Both on the track as well as street. heh, my old snomobile even had a 40hp kicker on it :biglaugh:.

There is alot of good information out there. Do your homework, ask questions. Setups can be fairly inexpensive. It depends on where you get your parts. Fogger nozzles are pretty much the same in power producing abilities. and you could pick up a used set on the low cost.

Solenoids, however, vary. I would buy new. You don't know what shape they're in if you go used. Pretty on the outside but beat to death on the inside.

Make sure you have some way to monitor pressure. Your bottle(s) get to hot, your going to run lean and have a meltdown. I have a regulator on my setup that takes care of this issue, but a simple gauge to monitor your pressure is a cost saving work round.

Fuel presure switch, VERY IMPORTANT, Back in 84' when I installed a NOS setup on one of my XS1100's I didn't include one. and you guessed it, my fuel pump failed and I shot 80hp of nitrous without any fuel. Need'ess to say, as cool as it looked it was a costly error. What this switch does is shut down your system if the fuel pressure drops.

How its activated is as diverse as the setups. I now use a progressive. Some use a button. Back in the day, on my old drag bike, I ran multi stage setups. 8 nozzles and 2 sets of solenoids. One 40 hp shot was activated at WOT, and as I hooked up I would press a button which would open the second stage of 100hp.

Don't be in a rush when installing, and above all don't cut corners. If you choose to build your setup yourself the world is your oyster. Solenoids and nozzles both can be purchaced from industrial supply stores. Wizards of NOS in the UK are making some impressive numbers with thier pulsoids but you are going to pay some $ for them. I ran a set then later sold it to a friend for him to race with. NX, NOS, and others out there offer complete setups for under $800.

Think to the future when your deciding what to get. Are you going to be happy with the base kit from NX, NOS, etc... or are you going to be adding a progressive controller, multi stages, fancy purge systems etc... You can part by part assemble your setup to grow as your needs/wants change.

Make sure your engine is in decent shape and in a good state of tune. I've seen old engines take a good hit of nitrous and be okay, but I've also seen poor running out-of-tune engines that thier owner put the squeeze to in order to "give it a pick me up" and instead sent the powerplant to an early grave.

Retarding timing on the engine running nitrous. This varies from tuner to tuner rule of thumb can be 1 or 2 degrees or ignition retard for every 50hp shot, depending on who you talk to. I run a dyna 3000 with no problems as of yet, using the retard curve. I'm currently feeding an 80hp shot in to the bike and have no ill effects.

All and all, It's cheap horsepower if done correctly, good luck in your ventures.

Last edited:
I run a 40 shot that Jeff Huber installed on my bike. I LOVE IT! Nitrous Express is awesome to deal with as well. It's a pretty simple install setup from what I could tell. The nitrous express setup is very safe...there is a auto shutoff switch if fuel pressure is too low.

PM me or talk to HuberJ for info on that. Mine cost me 800 BUT Jeff did not charge for the kick ass custom mounts! Here are some pics as well...

vmax23.jpg

vmax34.jpg

vmax 005.jpg

vmax 003.jpg

id love to hold off for the turbo but it seems that is gonna be one of those projects that would require alot of know how as far as the fab work goes and the whole converting the bike to efi sounds expensive as well i couldnt even get a local bike speed shop to help me with NOS let alone help with somethin like that. gary, maybe ill pick your brain here in a few years on that subject

Here ya go, check this link out.... Minty Fresh 500.00 TYD

on a wet nitrous setup on this bike how do you get your fuel supply to the fuel solenoid?

on a wet nitrous setup on this bike how do you get your fuel supply to the fuel solenoid?

Mine has a seperate fuel pump with pressure gauge. If the gauge reads below a certain psi then the system won't work. Very safe setup!

+1 on the fuel pump feeding the fuel solenoids, But keep in mind 9 out of 10 setups do not include a fuel pressure switch. That is somthing you'll have to get yourself.

Not to worry, there are several brands out there and they aren't too unreasonable in prices. You can get industrial versions that work great and are adjustable, starting about $23.

I sent you a PM over on Psychobike.com. The seller listed his phone #. I would suggest giving him a call and working out details that way. Otherwise, you may miss out on it....

Latest posts

Back