Ignitor-rebuild or dyna3000

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom00013

Reaction score
I pulled out my ignitor 86 vmax because my rear 2 cyclinders were not firing. The exterior terminals were corroded on one connector. I popped it open and desoldered the terminals to remove he board. The pics show what I found. Diodes 8,9,10,11,12,and 13 were toast :angry flame: . Diode 1 looks like it is almost done. Does anyone know what the rating/type is for these diodes. The other diodes on the board look smaller and different(simular to the zener diodes). These leads on these are larger than the others but the same as diode 1. They look just like the ones we used to always blow on the Army BFV circuit boards. Small gray globes with a blue stripe. If anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it. I have an elctronics store for supplies but am unsure how these are rated. If I use the wrong type/rating what can I damage besides this box which is already gone?
Any suggestions or pros and cons on the dyna3000?
Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• 2005_12_18 001 copy.jpg
    2005_12_18 001 copy.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 2005_12_18 004.jpg
    2005_12_18 004.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 2005_12_18 005.jpg
    2005_12_18 005.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 2005_12_18 006.jpg
    2005_12_18 006.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 2005_12_18 009.jpg
    2005_12_18 009.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 2005_12_18 010.jpg
    2005_12_18 010.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2005_12_18 014.jpg
    2005_12_18 014.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 2005_12_18 015.jpg
    2005_12_18 015.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 28
good luck. I have no idea what you need to do to fix the unit. I could probably loan you a good unit if the striping color would help you figure out what you need. I use to have a chart somewhere that described each color system. I might be able to find it again.

Sean

If you lent me a good one, I would have to desolder the connectors to view the board and I would rather not do that to a good one for fear of overheating something and having 2 broken ones. I was hoping someone had a bad one around that they had cracked open and could provide a pic. That way if I did fry something during the desolder/soldering on mine, I would only be out he cost of the diodes which should be pretty cheap. I think the larger diodes actually have the values stamped on them and a single band to denote the cathode end. The resistors use the bands of color for the values. I have changed smaller zener diodes that had the bands but they were very small and you would have needed a magnifier to read them. If I can get the diodes and get it working, I can provide pics and instructions on how to do it. It seems all the posts I've read that deal with this have missing spark at 1 or more cyclinders. If this is a common problem and they only need the diodes replaced, it would sure beat having to buy a new unit or an aftermarket one. I appreciate the offer but I would rather not risk a good one.
Thanks,
Tom

If I am not mistaken, you can do an exchange for this item from Blue Ridge Mountain SPortmax. Check out their VMax store. Cheaper than Dyna for sure. Boy that sure looks like crap in there. Awesome photos too.

Thanks for all the info. I sent an email to Bob, hopefully he can help.
Thanks again:biglaugh:
Checked the Blue ridge site. They want 150/150 core($300 total)-same as a new dyna3000. They said they refund the money if your core is rebuildable. I don't want to roll the dice on wether mine is rebuildable or not-It looks pretty trashed.

Hey Tom,

I happen to have the TCI from my 89 you can have. I did'nt realize it was soldered on the end and, well...i broke it! Right off at the end. It was working fine before i started messing with it. Pay shipping and its yours. Maybe you can remove the parts you need from mine and get yours up and running?

Hey Tom,

I happen to have the TCI from my 89 you can have. I did'nt realize it was soldered on the end and, well...i broke it! Right off at the end. It was working fine before i started messing with it. Pay shipping and its yours. Maybe you can remove the parts you need from mine and get yours up and running?

I sent you a pm. That is exactly what I need. Everyone I talked/emailed to didn't know what type or size diodes I needed. I could just remove the good ones from your board or id them and get new ones. You can also email me at [email protected]. Thanks for the help Birdoprey !!!
:clapping:

Back