im trolling some HD forums..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definatly good for a laugh. I have respect for anyone that respects something good when they see it and can accept it. Its when people are so damn ignorant such as some of those guys on forums. I ride a Vmax and wouldn't change it for the world, however when I see a bike that I like, no matter what it is, I will say, "Nice bike" But each to there own I guess.

People are funny. I do know some Harley Davidson people that are very cool... old school. There are some Harley's out there that are crazy fast too.
It's that stereotype thing that makes me laugh.... the followers.

People are funny. I do know some Harley Davidson people that are very cool... old school. There are some Harley's out there that are crazy fast too.

Have to agree with ya TM .

Old Harleys = All bout riding

New Harleys = All about what youre riding .

This is true I have a bunch of friends that ride Harleys that are really cool & not snobs on second note it was pretty funny when I went for my Interview at Harley & the guy said what do you ride & I said a Vmax & he said thats alright I rode a crotch rocket when I started here & I said I will still be riding a Vmax when I leave here.LOL

Always liked the lingo they take on soon after they get the bike. Of course after they learn stop light throttle modulation : )

Old lady (think that came from the Harley culture)
Scooter
Crotch Rocket
Rice Rocket

When I was a kid I lived in Hartford, Ct and was a mascot (which mean't I would go get them hamburgers and stuff) for a real outlaw bike group called the Risers. After a shootout (some were killed) with a rival gang over a Nazi Flag... about 50 Ft from where I lived. I believe they became the Comanchero's. Those guys were some bad ass dude's. They didn't bathe, in fact if one got a new pair of pants they'd all get drunk and piss on them. Believe that was where I first became interested in motorcycles. I was left some strange sense of respect for those kind of bikers.

Wow, It never ceases to amaze me how some HD owners think their bike is fast. I just don't get it.

They cry "Torque" but once you're out of that part of the band (in about 3 seconds) it's HP from there on in a drag race.

They really just don't get it. It's as simple as looking at 0-60 / 0-100MPH to see that they can't even hang in an 1/8th mile.

They're only advantage is that an inexperienced rider can get a better launch from a V-Twin than from an In-Line Four.

RR

theres a guy i ride with who supposedly built his own harley out of spare parts, he was giving me and my friend the run down on it and he said it had 120 horsepower and could go 170 mph, i said "dang, is that fuel injected?"

and i shit you not he said

"its carburated, that makes it idle lower, giving you more room to accelerate with"

omfg.... we had to walk out of there as fast as we could. if we wouldve laughed out loud he wouldve kicked our ass.

we had a guy buy a 88 cubic inch dyna glide, said one day he was going down the interstate and saw cherries and berries behind him, looked down at his speedometer and he was going "220 MILES PER HOUR" but pulled over anyway.

i said, "KPH or MPH?"
of course miles per hour!!!

you know.. some speedometers are off about 10 percent...

"NOT MINE ITS DEAD ON!!!!"

we have several other guys that think the Vtwin is the fastest cylinder layout. ne of them even said, "it takes half the work to get the same power"

theres a guy who has a 127 cubic inch el bruto ultima engine who says his bike will go 240 MPH, i looked at his speedo and it registers 120... so how he got the number i dont know.

however, everyone is counting on me to beat him in a race this summer, even his son haha. they think im the only hope

Speaking of the speedo, what is the % error on the stock max? I have not thrown my GPS on it yet to check. My Jeep was about 9% off before I recalibrated it and my R3 was 7% off. Both indicating a faster speed than reality. I would not be surprised to discover the same with the max.

not using GPS, but using mile markers i'm about 3% running a 120 front tire.

"theres a guy who has a 127 cubic inch el bruto ultima engine who says his bike will go 240 MPH, i looked at his speedo and it registers 120... so how he got the number i dont know."

Maybe its because he thinks his speedo is "per cylinder"...so 120 x 2 =240:rofl_200:

There's a new member on that forum....
"VRod Spanker"
I figure just the screen name ought to get me banned once they get to reading it.

I got to post a picture of my ride.... Maybe the Max, maybe my wife's Burgman.

"theres a guy who has a 127 cubic inch el bruto ultima engine who says his bike will go 240 MPH, i looked at his speedo and it registers 120... so how he got the number i dont know."

Maybe its because he thinks his speedo is "per cylinder"...so 120 x 2 =240:rofl_200:

Not to play devils advocate, but once you get in to the big twins 127-160ci your making stupid power before 6k.

I dunno about 240mph, but I had an el bruto 127 in my chopper at one point. 140hp and 145tq. The 140 motors are making 165hp 175tq. The 160ci motors out there are over 180hp and 200tq. with my 127 I was doing about 30mph or so when I dropped the hammer in second, it tore out 13 out of the 32 spokes in the rear.

Those are nasty motors to mate up with a baker 6 speed.

Take a peek, these are impressive powerplants.
http://motorcyclekitonline.com/MW%20CATALOG.htm

Take a peek, these are impressive powerplants.
http://motorcyclekitonline.com/MW%20CATALOG.htm

Agree'd. Those big Twins are awesome powerplants in a Custom.

One thing to keep in mind though is that a 160CI engine is 2600cc's. At 1300cc's per Cyl, they should be making a ton of power. Twins, especially Big Twins are very inefficient HP makers. There is too much time between the power strokes to make good HP considering their size.

To address the "my bike hits 240MPH" Harley rider...no way. MotoGP bikes are making 275+HP & are running 228+MPH. Besides an aftermarket engine removes the fact that it is a Harley because it no longer is one.

ZX-14 's, Hayabusa's & the like are a wind-tunnel designed bike. W/O a limiter they may bump 200MPH with minor modifications. All motorcycles are a poor design aerodynamically as most cars have less wind-drag than even a sportbike. The ZX-11 was the speed-king at 185MPH pushing 133HP to the wheel. The 'Busa topped that with a best of 194MPH & took an additional 30RWHP & better aerodynamics to push the bike a mere 9MPH more.

A Cruiser is worse than a pick-up truck. When a bike starts hitting the 100MPH mark & above the Power-to-Weight ratio starts to drop & above 150MPH our 450lb sportbike becomes like a car. Suddenly 180HP is trying to move 3,000+lbs with wind-drag. A 180HP car will not get close to the 150MPH mark let alone 230MPH.

It doesn't matter how much Tq a harley makes it's still only a small abount of torque trying to move a 3,000+lb hunk of steel. My Ford Explorer V-6 makes 190lbs Tq & it won't go 240MPH. Top that with the small powerband of a Big-Twin & there is just no way.

I would like to add that I do have a special "fondness" of Custom Cruisers so I'm not bashing them. They're just not even close to the performance of todays In-line fours or our beloved V-4. The age-old comment of "There's to replacement for displacement" no longer applies when an engine 1/3 it's size can spin to 18,000RPM's & do it all day long.

I personally feel a V-4 is a great balance of the two designs.

RR

Damn!! I didn't realize that only HD's get the chicks! Man, I've been missing out.

Aerodynamics say he FOS.

I rode a softail with ape-hangar bars once, just around town. I doubt I ever got over 50mph, and I found even that annoying with all the wind drag on your body. I can't imagine any sort of speed on a bike like that.

On my Max with the "flyscreen", I can do about 100 for short times in the "normal" riding position, beyond that I lay down on the tank, hiding behind that tiny little windshield.

V-twins are just outdated, old technology motors. My '85 Honda with the 30c.i V5 was rated at 65hp and like 35lbs of torque. It would run away from a 96ci Harley up to about 85mph, with less than 1/3 the displacement.

Small, efficient motors are the future. While I can't ever see the V8 dying out like V10s and 12's mostly have, I suspect it will become fairly rare in production cars in the upcoming years. Ford's twin-turbo V6 puts out nearly 100hp more than the 5.4 V8 in my truck....stuff like that is the future of automobiles.

Harley's are stuck in the past, that's their image and they're not showing any signs of changing. Sure, they finally caught on to something called a radiator and a nifty bit of thermodynamics stating that water absorbs heat a lot better than air, but otherwise the bikes are straight out of the seventies at best.

Latest posts

Back