Is it legal to lane split in your state?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas. yes but it's still very stupid.

Not quite yet. Here is the law straight from the Texas transportation code.

The law doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but there are several statutes that may come to bear depending upon the circumstances, i.e. right of way, obligation to drive in a single lane, signal intention, passing with safety, etc. Motorcycles are considered equally as cars regarding traffic laws, so the single lane, signal intention and other statutes in the Transportation Code could come in to play.

The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."

• An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:
    • shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
    • may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.
Lane Splitting

In spite of several “lane splitting” bills having been introduced in different sessions of the Texas Legislature, to date none has been signed into law. The concept of “lane sharing” is not specifically addressed by existing statute. A lane-spiltting rider stopped by a peace officer will be subject to the interpretation of the peace officer at the time.

It's still stupid IMHO. :bang head:

A lane-spiltting rider stopped by a peace officer will be subject to the interpretation of the peace officer at the time.
Same in California, a cop can write you up if he see's you lane splitting un safely.Like speeding or cutting in & out of cars. Most of the time it's a motor officer that will get you, because they can.:damn angry:

. MA drivers fly and always abuse the speed limit (which is good if you're speeding too)
Steve-o

+100. The Mass Pike should be renamed the Massachusetts Motor Speedway. When I drove out to near Boston to pick up my Z, I had the cruise set at 80 in the right lane and cars would back up behind me, waiting for a gap in the next lane to pass. People in the third lane were easily pushing 90. Even the tractor trailers were would up to 80 or better, in NY it's extremely rare to see one doing even a tick over the limit, I've heard NY really rapes speeding CDL drivers.

I think it was the 89 in NH, we were on a day trip out to hampton beach. Holy crap that was probably the fastest freeway trip ever, a total free-for-all. Traffic had to be averaging about 90, and there as many bikes as cars on the road, and they were almost all hauling ass, weaving between lanes around cars. Several times cagers would then try to pace the speeding bikers, we had this little shitbox Saturn behind us at 110, must have been flat out. We were cruising at 100-110 for miles at a time. We'd slow down for a median crossing where cops sit, except nobody else bothered to so we stopped as well, and zinged past troopers over the c-note several times, not once did one pull out. That was a total hoot.

Latest posts

Back