Is it legal to lane split in your state?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have no clue....i suspect not tho. not my style anyhoo. im usually not in a big hurry anyhoo. ive made it 30 plus yrs without a crash....im planning on keeping it that way:biglaugh:.

Even if it was legal....which I'm sure it isn't....it would be complete suicide amongst all these pushy, arrogant, aggressive New Yawkers! :punk:

it was a yawker plate in that ford wasnt it danny? if not we were in the state anyways...i think.....

I only ever crashed a couple of times on the road in France and UK, in 30+ years of riding. Neither involved lane splitting, and I was lucky enough not to get too hurt.

To me it's just natural - always have ridden that way, always will. When passing slow/stopped traffic, it's simply a matter of keeping speed really low (i.e. ready to stop) and a sharp eye.

Nit-pickily speaking, the difference between the two terms "lane-sharing" and "lane-splitting" should be emphasized. Lane-sharing is usually accepted to be technically defined as two motorcycles in a single-lane, and lane-splitting is defined as a motorcycle in the same lane with a different type of vehicle (e.g., car, truck, bicycle). Lane-sharing is tolerated in most all states (http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/PrintLaws.html). Lane-splitting is a horse of a different color:

Here is a link to one of the more reputable sites that turn up when one Googles the subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting#Legal_status
But basically all the other sites say the same thing.

California is the only state in the Union where there is no law explicitly prohibiting the practice. However, just because there is no law against it, doesn't mean you won't get cited because
California [is] the only U.S. state for which official statements state that lane splitting, when done safely, is legal.
This means if a cop thinks you are lane-splitting "unsafely", you will be pulled over and ticketed.

Another tidbit of information:
California is not the only state for which there is no traffic law that explicitly prohibits lane splitting, but officials rely on other laws to regularly interpret lane splitting as unlawful. For example, New Mexico does not address lane splitting by name, but has language requiring turn signals be used continuously for at least 100 ft (30 m) before changing lanes, as well as other codes which may be cited by an officer.

Quote=ninjaneer---->This means if a cop thinks you are lane-splitting "unsafely", you will be pulled over and ticketed. Yer absolutely right Greg. Lane spliting is a skill of its own, and I love it.:banana: 9 times out of 10 it's a motor cop that will get you. Cop cars can't lane split so they cant catch ya:biglaugh:

Quote=ninjaneer----> 9 times out of 10 it's a motor cop that will get you. Cop cars can't lane split so they cant catch ya:biglaugh:[/B]
....bwahahaha, I didnt think about that! Give 'em hell, Rusty

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

I don't lane split and i'm pretty sure it's against the law here in Ct. If there's a traffic jam, i'll cruise in the breakdown lane nice and easy. Ct cagers love to abuse the speed limit. 80 minimum in the fast lane and they go mental if you pass em. I've cruised pass people at 80 and they speed up and try to stay with you at which point I squash the throttle and pull away ever so gracefully :biglaugh:

they go mental if you pass em.

Yes an unfortunate result of batsh_t behavior. In Miami-Dade County FL there are two lanes on I-95 which are tolled. The good news is that motorcycles ride free!! The bad news is that about half of the cars get in the left lane like they are royalty and refuse to move for any reason, meaning you have to pass them on the right. Some people really take offense to this. I had a Lexus SUV, the big one, 470? refuse to move over & when I passed him on the right, he floored it to try & catch me. We ended up 'faster' and I finally had to leave him behind to prevent the a__hole from tailgating, or worse. You never know when someone is going to try and bump you. I have seen people move-over to prevent some motorcyclist from lane-splitting.

I have also seen FHP FL Highway Patrol pull over motorists and bikes for using the swale/break-down lane to bypass gridlock.

In the last 3 years my wife and I have each been hit by uninsured teenagers, both happened to be females. Luckily mine was in a new truck, unluckily, I had yet to make my second payment on it!

Ya, FM. The "slow" traffic driving in the inner lanes bug me, bug me, bug me. Especially in the stretch of southbound 95 somewhere's around PSL when it grows another lane. What really annoys me are those cagers that for no logical reason (not passing, not "moving over" for Johnny Law, etc.) just merge in front of me. ???????? what the hect for? just because the lane is empty next to you? UGH!

I used to ride up through the middle all the time. Hell, I even used to ride wheelies between traffic with a passenger on back. Not the smartest thing I've ever done but when your young you sometimes think your invincible. At least I must have. But now as I'm getting quite a bit wiser I realize it can all be over in a split second. So, I still like to go fast don't get me wrong but now I keep my kids in the back of my mind every time I get on my bike. So that's where the "wiser" part comes in. And Pa, although most of the laws here are really strict they relaxed a few things with bikes like no helmet, they allow LED's on while riding but they make up for it if you gotta pay child support cause this state is brutal but that's a whole nother subject. I remember when in Ca that you didn't need a helmet but they since changed that law and they also allowed what they called "white lining" which is riding between traffic or lane splitting as someone here called it but I don't know if your still allowed to. But I also saw a number if body bags from guys doing it and dying in the process. I'm never in that much of a hurry anymore to risk my life to save a few minutes. Life's too short as it is.

So is lane splitting done while traffic is moving, or when traffic is stopped at a light? Or both?

In Michigan they don't allow it. I did it once while goning north on I75 back in the early 80's, it was exciting to say the least. We rode the middle, and both sides of the shoulder getting around the traffic. I would not be able to do the same thing today that's for sure!

So is lane splitting done while traffic is moving, or when traffic is stopped at a light? Or both?

It's both. Usually, when done as safely as I will do it, it's passing cars doing under the speed limit whenever traffic allows. I try my best not to get into anyone's way, and only go for gaps that are there!

While traffic is stopped is actually the most dangerous, and as a result I only ever do that at very moderate speed. Like they say in the cops rider training (I did my IAM advanced test in the UK), you must be able to stop within the distance you can see.
The problems with stopped traffic are mainly pedestrians (especially when passing trucks, vans or busses), cars deciding to suddenly change lane to beat traffic, cycles, other bikes, and of course the odd car door opening at random!

Lane splitting here in Maine is illegal, and I personally would not feel very comfortable doin so if it was, even with how tame Maine drivers can be compared to some states I have been through/lived in. (They're just complete idiots about 90% of the time.)

I have passed on the shoulder many times, when I thought it safe to do so. (though once in Cali, I did so in the most reckless manner imaginable, passing a wide-assed camper on the shoulder of an curving overpass at about 75mph in my gf's Buick.

Yeah, she yelled at me for that. Hit me too.

Ok, So what happens when traffic is stopped at a light, and you "lane split" all the way to the light/intersection..... Do you stay in between the cars, or nudge your way in line with them?

Ok, So what happens when traffic is stopped at a light, and you "lane split" all the way to the light/intersection..... Do you stay in between the cars, or nudge your way in line with them?
Once you lane split to the intersection,you can do what ever you want if your by yourself. Ive lane split with multiple bikes where things can get hairy at a red light. :stretche:

Even with my old 700 Virago it was obvious what to do once you were first in line between cars, giver er' hell!

No really you can out accelerate 90% or cars so you just gassed it and got ahead and moved over into the lane. I believe the law states that you are not supposed to be moving 10 mph faster than the traffic. When in Sand Diego I would always pass traffic to the front of the line at traffic lights. Many times I would follow a motorcycle cop to the front.

I never felt like I was in danger, the only thing you had to watch for was a lane changer, but if you were following the rules it was easy enough to react to prevent a problem.

Even with my old 700 Virago it was obvious what to do once you were first in line between cars, giver er' hell!

No really you can out accelerate 90% or cars so you just gassed it and moved over into the lane. I believe the law states that you are not supposed to be moving 10 mph faster than the traffic. When in Sand Diego I would always pass traffic to the front of the line at traffic lights. Many times I would follow a motorcycle cop to the front.

I never felt like I was in danger, the only thing you had to watch for was a lane changer, but if you were following the rules it was easy enough to react to prevent a problem.

Update: Just out of curiosity I grabbed this out of the California manual : Lane splitting should not be
performed by inexperienced riders.
When choosing to lane split, skilled
motorcycle riders should consider
the following:
• Traffic flow—Travel at a speed
that is no more than 10 mph faster
than other traffic; danger increases
at higher speed differentials. Lane
splitting is not advised when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster;
danger increases as overall speed
increases.
• Traffic lanes—Lane splitting is