Is there a reason for the bar

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Is there a reason for the bar that many guys put on their VMAX, the one that is on the frame and crosses the engine.

Is there a reason for the bar that many guys put on their VMAX, the one that is on the frame and crosses the engine.

Are you serious? You're on your 7th Vmax, have been on this forum for over a year and haven't seen reference to frame braces?

I hope you're kidding...

I have had 7 VMAX'S but they have all be basiclly stock with the exception of jet kits and exhaust. I have never done my own work on any of my bikes until I found this forum.

I guess maybe I asked the question wrong, I know it is a braace but I guess I don't know what it does? except a brace keeps things in place... I just don't understand why a VMAX frame would need to be kept in place.

I have been here a year but I am still not someone who knows a lot about working on a VMAX or why some custom work is done.

So yes I am serious

It's to keep the frame from flexing during cornering.

I put them on mine just because that's where I want to mount two sneaky pete N2O bottles. I don't notice frame flex, but I wanted them anyway so I built a pair.

Thanks, I was wondering if they were for looks or if the VMAX really needed them. I never felt any frame flex either but I don't ride hard core either.

Also to Dersert MAX, I have owned 5 dogs but I don't know how to groom them

One of the terms applied to frame flex is 'tail wag,' have you ever been taking an entrance ramp onto the 4-lane, been accellerating pretty hard to pick up some speed so you can merge smoothly into traffic, and felt the rear end kinda 'wag' back and forth?

There are other contributing factors but frame flex is a big part of that.

Did a search (button on above toolbar) for frame+brace. There is more you just have to look through the archives of this search. They can be for looks but they really do serve a pupose when you reach higher speeds in corners or use the power to get up to freeeway speeds quickly on ramps as Danny mentioned. I have solid engine mounts that i put in this spring when I reinstalled my engine.

I have felt tire slip but always thought that was what it was. Many times I knew that was what it was.

Did a search (button on above toolbar) for frame+brace. There is more you just have to look through the archives of this search.

When you do that search it also brings up hundreds of posts and many of them don't address my question.. Geeeez it's Friday chill out......lol

I just asked a damn question Sorry I didn't know what it was for..

When you do that search it also brings up hundreds of posts and many of them don't address my question.. Geeeez it's Friday chill out......lol

Didn't mean to offend, just meant to help you with the searching function and this subject.
It has been discussed many times, I really sorry that my answer was not exactly what you wanted.:confused2:

Didn't mean to offend, just meant to help you with the searching function and this subject.
It has been discussed many times, I really sorry that my answer was not exactly what you wanted.:confused2:

Thank you

Very functional. It will take alot of the hinge out of the bike when cornering. Besides, it gives you a great place to hang your nitrous tanks :eusa_dance:

Well I'm glad I now know what they are for, I've never really noticed any problems but like I said I don't ride too hard.

My first thought was that they don't look that great "TO ME " so there had to be another reason than just for looks.

i noticed a huge difference when i put mine on. seems just. 'together more' when i did. can't explain it but felt better. i got a wicked deal too

i would have preferred not to 'need' them altho where else woudl i have put my spikes? plus it makes getting at spark plugs a pain in the ass, or doing engine mounts or anything.

And I apologize as well. I actually did think you were joking. There's so much info on the web regarding the Vmax (not just here) that I found it pretty hard to miss many references to that very basic item.

In fact, because of all the positive press on them, they're one of the first mods I did to mine after picking it up in March. And, I definitely noticed less tendency to "unwind" coming out of turns under power.

Attachments

• Close_rt_side.jpg
    Close_rt_side.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 29
Because you have owned and ridden the VMax for so long, you have probably just gotten used to the flexing of the frame, and what that feels like.

One thing for certain, if you do go with a set of frame braces or better yet, solid motor mounts (same function as the frame braces) and go for a ride you will notice a HUGE difference in the way the bike handles.

During cornering, what I attributed to the bike moving around due to undulations in the road were actually due to frame flex. Same corner, same speed with the solid motor mounts and the line was much steadier and the bike didn't feel nearly as "squirrelly".

I don't ride my bike too hard, but the difference is really night and day.

or better yet, solid motor mounts (same function as the frame braces) and go for a ride you will notice a HUGE difference in the way the bike handles.

The solid mounts stiffin more than the frame brace?

i'd say i noticed more a difference going from nothing to frame braces then frame braces to engine mounts and braces...

I would think that if you compared the two, the engine mounts would be stiffer but not by a huge margin.

Adding the other after having one already, your results will be minimally better.

Latest posts

Back