is there an easy way to drain the clutch line?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRX/V-MAX

Reaction score
I have a braided clutch line to add, and I'm looking over the stock setup with the way it snakes all along the frame in various hangers. I'd really like to not dribble brake fluid all ove the left side of my bike.

I guess I could try and bleed most of the fluid out of the line, but it still looks to be a messy job.

Am I missing something?

TIA..........................Neal

Break it loose from the bottom and drain what you can. Then put a regular bolt in the line to plug it up. The master will also lose some fluid so be prepared with a catch rag or can there.

Sean

Since you're replacing the line, I'd say go ahead and drain everything (must get every last drop), then replace with silicon (DOT5) fluid, then you never have to worry about a spill again, and it also does not absorb moisture like the normal fluid does.

I have heard that the DOT5 wont eat paint but what happens if there is a little 3 or 4 left in the system when you add DOT5?

Karl, you are right. I was told when going to "5" you needed to remove all fluid and best with new line and rubber parts. I recommend going to 5.1 instead.

agreed. Full synthetic not needed anymore with the blended. Plus it will allow you to mix with old stuff if you get caught somewhere and need some fluid.

Sean

Hey I didn't know about that - 5.1?!? To me that's Surround Sound lol, 5 speakers and the .1 being the subwoofer.

Please enlighten me! Are you guys saying there's a new fluid called 5.1, that it's mostly silicon but can be blended with the old DOT 3/4 ?

How does it fare with paint stripping and water absorption?

Hey I didn't know about that - 5.1?!? To me that's Surround Sound lol, 5 speakers and the .1 being the subwoofer.

Please enlighten me! Are you guys saying there's a new fluid called 5.1, that it's mostly silicon but can be blended with the old DOT 3/4 ?

How does it fare with paint stripping and water absorption?

Mooahaha!

Here's a good article. DOT 5.1 is not silicon based so compatible with DOT3/4. But...it can harm paint.

http://www.advancepetro.com/differentbrakefluid.htm

Having read the info, I can't see any advantage for 5.1 over 3 or 4, other than the higher boiling point, which is hardly gonna be an issue for any of us!?

DOT 5 OTOH, does NOT eat paint, and does NOT absorb moisture - both being pretty serious advantages in my book..

I know next time I flush my lines that's the way I'll wanna go..

I just put a steel braided line on my clutch last week full system from the master cylinder down to the slave cylinder.. Its no biggy takes about 30 minutes to complete..
Here is what I did.

Opened thed bleeder down at the slave cylin.. 8mm
Squeezed the clutch lever multiple times till no more fluid came out.
Wrapped a rag around the hose near the mastercylinder
Removed the stock line.. from the master cyl
Removed the line from the slave cylin.
Blew compressed air (10PSI into the hose till nothing came out
Installed the new line
Filled with DOT 4
Bled it like it any other hydraulic..
Pump ....pump....pump...pump... open bleeder valve...... close bleeder valve,........pump......pump.......pump....... open bleeder valve..... check master cyl fluid level... repeat 5-10 minutes later all done:clapping:

the dot 3 and 4 and 5.1 may absorb moisture but not at a rate that's enough to make a difference to 99% of people out there. Flush it every 5 years or so and it will be fine. Don't spill any and it won't eat your paint.

Sean

the dot 3 and 4 and 5.1 may absorb moisture but not at a rate that's enough to make a difference to 99% of people out there. Flush it every 5 years or so and it will be fine. Don't spill any and it won't eat your paint.

Sean

I guess I am about 5 years past due to change the fluid for my front brakes then.. anyone have a moisture metere to check my fluid:confused2:
Dont drink any brake fluid be it dot 3. dot 4. dot 5.1 dot 5.102 or even dot eleventeen and you will be fine

Yep, the fluid will work for many years past that and be fine. It does start to degrade the internal components after so many years since the water content gets higher and higher. Then with very aggreessive riding it will have brake fade sooner since the water will steam off and create air in the system. Live and learn (if you live when you have a major failure).

Sean

I have used DOT 5 and will not do it again. Do not like the "spongy" feel. It compresses more than DOT 3/4. If you do use it, I recommend braided SS lines to reduce the problem. I have been using Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3/4 for several years now and will continue as it seems to hold up longer and has a higher temp rating. This is just my :twocents:.

dot 5's only advantage is higher boiling point. the moisture absorbtion is an advantage for dot 4. if the fluid doesnt absorb the moisture it will just settle to the bottom- the caliper:bang head:- where it will boil very quickly. moisture gets in sno matter what so better to absorb it evenly,:eusa_dance: than to pool it in the calipers.

Hey, glad I got you guys debating the benefits of different brake fluid and clutch draining intervals!

:clapping:

BTW, I just pumped the heck out of the line, draining as much as I could from the MC, then broke the line loose, and cleaned and wrapped the banjo. Then I carefully snaked the line down the frame.

Worked like a charm, with no fluid dripped that I could tell.

Thanks for the help!

Back