Krylon Fusion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I need to paint the plastic trim pieces on my differential and rear wheel. I don't have much experience painting plastic. Saw some Krylon Fusion at the auto parts and see its recommended for plastic.

Anyone have experience with this paint? Good/bad?

I need to paint the plastic trim pieces on my differential and rear wheel. I don't have much experience painting plastic. Saw some Krylon Fusion at the auto parts and see its recommended for plastic.

Anyone have experience with this paint? Good/bad?

Its good stuff, I've used it on my neck covers and other plastics.

thats exactly what i used for those pieces mike. i usually get krylon clear (flat) and do a few coats over it too.

trick seems to be letting it sit for a week afterwards.

Ive used the Krylon in the past on several different bikes. All I can say is that it works great BUT it takes a good while to cure. Be sure to allow for plenty of drying time.

Yup....what they said Mike! Krylon Fusion is good stuff on plastic....follow the directions and you won't believe you did it with a rattle can! :clapping:

I've used it for Plastic and Aluminum as well. Even splashed several parts
with Non Ethanol Gas and the well cured paint survived it...

Dave

I want to paint my headlight bucket and speedo cover black. Do I have to strip off the finish on them or could you just clean them up and paint right over them?

i've had a hell of a problem painting the headlight bucket and getting it to stick. the issue is how many cables rub on it. i just recently cleaned what was left of the black, acetoned it and roughed it up and sprayed 3-4 coats of truck bed liner on it. i'll report back how it does but it might take a few months

the speedo i stripped with just some sandpaper and used krylon. has held up awesome for quite a few years now. but i use an instrument cowl.

i've had a hell of a problem painting the headlight bucket and getting it to stick. the issue is how many cables rub on it. i just recently cleaned what was left of the black, acetoned it and roughed it up and sprayed 3-4 coats of truck bed liner on it. i'll report back how it does but it might take a few months

the speedo i stripped with just some sandpaper and used krylon. has held up awesome for quite a few years now. but i use an instrument cowl.
+1 on the speedo paint process.

well I'm going to give it a shot. I'm sanding it down tonight using 300 grit so I can completely get the polish and paint off. I'll post pics of the final produce sometime this weekend. Had anyone ever used a different headlight from a yamaha that had a metal bucket and just painted or powder coated it? Did it bolt right up to the original brackets?

For Plastic or Vinyl... what the pro's use (link) SEM Products Use the cleaner to remove the Armor All or silicone products that may be on the plastic. No sanding and won't come off. Available at your local auto body paint supply house or (link) Amazon

gary, even with the cables all rubbing against it every movement?

Garrett I did a car interior with it once... dash, side panels, and all of the plastic stuff. From beige to black and was surprised at how well it coated and held up to scratches and stuff. The prep they sell seems to soften the plastic or vinyl surface... so the paint penetrates the surface and really adheres. Buying both products is a little expensive (like 25.00) but it goes a long way and looks like shiny new when your done.

So to answer your question... I don't know :smile: but it's good stuff and easy to use.

The prep

31PBGOHlelL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Garrett I did a car interior with it once... dash, side panels, and all of the plastic stuff. From beige to black and was surprised at how well it coated and held up to scratches and stuff. The prep they sell seems to soften the plastic or vinyl surface... so the paint penetrates the surface and really adheres. Buying both products is a little expensive (like 25.00) but it goes a long way and looks like shiny new when your done.

So to answer your question... I don't know :smile: but it's good stuff and easy to use.

The prep

31PBGOHlelL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Neat stuff. If the truck bed liner doesn't work out ill take a look. its sorta like powdercoating but for plastic (but not really)

Back