KZ-900 on the way.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt354

Reaction score
I got a call last night from the Widow of my departed riding Buddy's Widow. She told me she discussed with Rick what to do with his bikes, as his final days were going by. He told her he'd like me to have the bike he has 90% restored. It needs and will get the original as possible paint scheme. And be assembled by me. I'm now the proud owner of a 76 KZ-900. New, spoke I think, wheels and chrome exhaust. Many other brand new parts. Enngine and carbs redone by Rick, who was an ace mechanic and stckler for original look. The engine has that satin factory buff done to it. Rick lives on through this bike. Some of his ashes will be packed into the handle bars on his wifes request, along witht a painted memorial on the bike.It's coming to a good home.
Steve-o
th_image003.gif

Congrats Steve-oooo, that will be a nice addition to your stable with a lot of meaning. I am leaving my bike to my best friend just like this guy did for you. Joe

I don't know how-much you need it to be stock, but some additional bracing added to the steering head is supposed to greatly aid their handling capacity; & check the geometry via Computrack or similar, if you want to ride it in a spirited fashion. If it's just gonna be a 'slow-going' bike, forget it. I had 3 KZ1000's, and I always liked their looks and performance.

Be-sure to show us the bike when you finish it.

Nice man. His memory will live on with you and the bike for a long time to come.
If its gonna be a spirited rider, then Fire-Medic's advice is on the money. Junk the swing-arm bushings and get some needle bearing's in there to tighten up the back end.

I did a resto-mod on the 1975 Z1-900 back in the mid 90's. I love those old superbikes...Enjoy :)

And I think the same-era Suzuki swingarm will fit right-in, looking better, dropping weight, and as-mentioned about the pivot bearings instead of bushings.

And I think the same-era Suzuki swingarm will fit right-in, looking better, dropping weight, and as-mentioned about the pivot bearings instead of bushings.
Thanks for the info guys. It'll be riding it easy most of the time. I have another bike for tearing up the road...lol
Steve-o

Rick will be forever in the wind thanks to you , and he knew it ! I cant wait to see it finished.

Awesome story. Sounds like its found an excellent home.

I've anguished over this myself too. Being almost 50 you think about these things. Who can the guns and bike/s go to that will appreciate them and not damage your family after your gone. it's the reason the max won't be going to the future son in law. Can't turn a wrench and not enough experience riding either. What do you do? Fire sale to pay for the casket?
Perish the thought cause of course you want it to go somewhere where it'll be loved, appreciated and not viewed as a cash windfall at an 80% loss.

Congratulations on being that true friend that was thought of it in this most respectful way with this responsibility. You have been given a Seal of Approval from beyond the grave.

I already told my oldest Danielle it's going to be her responsibility to bring Ryan with her and hump my ashes in to Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend and dispose of my ashes there so no ashes will be going in my handle bars, but nonetheless what a great idea!!

Thanks Rusty, and everyone else. Rick and I were riding Budddys and good friends. We met at work and talked bikes all the time. He taught me lot about riding and would bring books in for me to read all the time. He must have saw the look on my face the day I saw the KZ running in his yard. I'l be forever gratefull. Pics will get posted here first.
Steve-o

Awesome story. Sounds like its found an excellent home.

I've anguished over this myself too. Being almost 50 you think about these things. Who can the guns and bike/s go to that will appreciate them and not damage your family after your gone. it's the reason the max won't be going to the future son in law. Can't turn a wrench and not enough experience riding either. What do you do? Fire sale to pay for the casket?
Perish the thought cause of course you want it to go somewhere where it'll be loved, appreciated and not viewed as a cash windfall at an 80% loss.

Congratulations on being that true friend that was thought of it in this most respectful way with this responsibility. You have been given a Seal of Approval from beyond the grave.

I already told my oldest Danielle it's going to be her responsibility to bring Ryan with her and hump my ashes in to Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend and dispose of my ashes there so no ashes will be going in my handle bars, but nonetheless what a great idea!!

clapping.gif
I got the KZ home today and have it set up in my cellar for restoration. I'm really phyc'd about getting her back to as originsl as I can. The frame and swingarm are all painted up nice. Forks are cleaned and ready to assemble with new tubes and seals. I unwrapped a bran new chrome exhaust system and gasp it was so nice. The body is blue and 76's aren't that color. I'm hoping it's a late 75 and the color is original. Some research is in order before painting. I was fully prepared to go with the green and pin stripes, but if blue is the original color I'm staying with it. The motor I carried up the stairs and got into the Jeep some how. But going down the stairs? I think I'll get some help before I break my old ass on the way down. I don't want to hurt the engine either.
Steve-o

Hey, just saw this Steve-o....congrats on the KZ man, Rick knew what he was doing when he passed it on to you!

A great final gesture to a good and worthy friend! :clapping:

clapping.gif
I got the KZ home today and have it set up in my cellar for restoration. I'm really phyc'd about getting her back to as originsl as I can. The frame and swingarm are all painted up nice. Forks are cleaned and ready to assemble with new tubes and seals. I unwrapped a bran new chrome exhaust system and gasp it was so nice. The body is blue and 76's aren't that color. I'm hoping it's a late 75 and the color is original. Some research is in order before painting. I was fully prepared to go with the green and pin stripes, but if blue is the original color I'm staying with it. The motor I carried up the stairs and got into the Jeep some how. But going down the stairs? I think I'll get some help before I break my old ass on the way down. I don't want to hurt the engine either.
Steve-o

Steve, how you gonna get her back upstairs once the restoraion is done?

Latest posts

Back