Left turn signal problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax1968

Reaction score
Hello,

The left turn signals are randomly doing a rapid flash and they also have lower intensity from the right ones when the rapid flash happens. I changed both bulbs to make sure that was not the issue but the problem did not go away and it is now more permanent than random :ummm:

I removed the left scoop to check the relay and wiring and it seems fine.

Thanks for your help!

Marcelo

Assuming that all your signal bulbs are stock (1157&1156), as well as the relay....
-is the turn signal indicator bulb working when both sides are activated? This provides added resistance, so that flash rate is normal.
- you could switch the brown(l.h.) and green (r.h.) power supply wires to the signals, to see if the problem reverses itself. If so, suspect the turn signal switch.
Cheers!

Assuming that all your signal bulbs are stock (1157&1156), as well as the relay....
-is the turn signal indicator bulb working when both sides are activated? This provides added resistance, so that flash rate is normal.
- you could switch the brown(l.h.) and green (r.h.) power supply wires to the signals, to see if the problem reverses itself. If so, suspect the turn signal switch.
Cheers!

Yep, all bulbs and relay are stock. I just removed the switch and everything is very clean. Took a picture with the lights without the signal on. Both sides work when activated only the left side (front and rear) lights have the rapid flashing.

Could the problem be with the relay?

Last edited:
Your running lights look pretty bright. I had something like that happen to mine when I did not have the bulbs fully seated. Both filaments were burning for just the running lights and they would blink fast. It took a few tries to ensure that the bulbs fully seated and then they worked as expected.

Doug

Yep, all bulbs and relay are stock. I just removed the switch and everything is very clean. Took a picture with the lights without the signal on. Both sides work when activated only the left side (front and rear) lights have the rapid flashing.

Could the problem be with the relay?

Sure could be. But first test for voltage at the power wires feeding the turn signal elements . In the headlight housing, disconnect the bullet connectors for the left (brown) and right (dark green). Set your meter on the 20 volt DC range. Put the positive meter lead on one or the other, with the negative lead on a known ground. Then activate that side on the t.s. switch(with the key on) You should read battery voltage. Repeat for the other side. If not the same, the problem is "downstream" - the t.s. switch or the flasher relay.
if results are not the same, test the flasher relay. Disconnect the relay from the harness, and check for input voltage by measuring at the solid brown terminal on the harness side. Should be battery voltage. If O.K. reconnect the relay,, and check for output voltage by backprobing the brown/white and yellow/red wires, that feed power to the two sides of the turn signal switch. Again, both of these wires should be showing battery voltage.
BUT BEFORE DOING ANY OF TESTING ON THE RELAY - simply disconnect it from the harness, clean all contacts on both sides of the connector, and reconnect, using DIELECTRIC GREASE. Most of the electrical problems described on this forum are a result of dirty or corroded connections. It's a good idea to clean and di-grease any connections you have apart, or have access to.
Cheers!

Your running lights look pretty bright. I had something like that happen to mine when I did not have the bulbs fully seated. Both filaments were burning for just the running lights and they would blink fast. It took a few tries to ensure that the bulbs fully seated and then they worked as expected.

Doug

Thanks Doug, tried that with no success.

Sure could be. But first test for voltage at the power wires feeding the turn signal elements . In the headlight housing, disconnect the bullet connectors for the left (brown) and right (dark green). Set your meter on the 20 volt DC range. Put the positive meter lead on one or the other, with the negative lead on a known ground. Then activate that side on the t.s. switch(with the key on) You should read battery voltage. Repeat for the other side. If not the same, the problem is "downstream" - the t.s. switch or the flasher relay.
if results are not the same, test the flasher relay. Disconnect the relay from the harness, and check for input voltage by measuring at the solid brown terminal on the harness side. Should be battery voltage. If O.K. reconnect the relay,, and check for output voltage by backprobing the brown/white and yellow/red wires, that feed power to the two sides of the turn signal switch. Again, both of these wires should be showing battery voltage.
BUT BEFORE DOING ANY OF TESTING ON THE RELAY - simply disconnect it from the harness, clean all contacts on both sides of the connector, and reconnect, using DIELECTRIC GREASE. Most of the electrical problems described on this forum are a result of dirty or corroded connections. It's a good idea to clean and di-grease any connections you have apart, or have access to.
Cheers!

Looks like I have a weekend project before watching the NFL playoffs :eusa_dance:

Cheers!

Marcelo

While you're D-greasing the connectors be sure to do the fuses....all the 10A ones and the 30A main fuse....as Miles said, many elec. issues on these bikes are caused by corrosion/oxidation in the connections.

I'd try another relay. Borrow one for a quick check. High resistance in a lot of different places will cause this issue. Cleaning up connections is never a waste of time. You'll be doing it sooner of later anyway.

OK, now I am really puzzled :ummm: I ride to work this morning and as soon as the bike gets warm the signals work just fine. So this is happening when the bike is cold. I tried last night with the engine on for a few minutes and it was rapid flashing. Only when the engine is warm the problem goes away.

Cheers,

Marcelo

Then don't fret about it, Mario. Probably something to do with the relay, since this is the only component that would heat up (a bit) after the bike has been operating awhile. Just do the cleaning and di-electric thing (do all other connectors while you have the scoop off) and forget about it!
If the problem starts to happen again, with the bike cold OR hot, try a new relay.
Enjoy riding, this time of year, in the Florida sunshine and moderate temps. You lucky B_ _t_ _d !!
Cheers

Great, I am getting a loaner relay to test this weekend. Can't beat today's forecast to ride! :eusa_dance:

Cheers!

Last edited:
I don't know how/if this would play in to a heat vs cold issue.....but the first thing I was thinking and haven't heard suggested yet is to check your grounds. Just a thought if you run out of things to check.................

Great, I am getting a loaner relay to test this weekend. Can't beat today's forecast to ride! :eusa_dance:

Cheers!

Dang! Stupid me...:bang head:
You could also just aim a hairdryer at the relay (or t.s. switch) when the signals are misbehaven', to see if the problem is temperature related.
But then again, forget the dryer. Just use that FLORIDA SUNSHINE!
Enjoy riding!

Update: I got a relay loaner to test and the rapid flash on the left signal continues :( I am not overly concerned about it (should I?) since the problem goes away as soon as the bike gets warm.

The only thing I did, that I am not sure is related, is the crimp-fix. Cannot tell if the problem started right after I made the fix or not. I do TCLOCS every time but did not notice the rapid flash till now.

Cheers

Well the problem goes away when the bike is running so I don't think I want the fast flash on permanent basis with LEDs

Cheers

Back