Looking for a Craftsman torque wrench

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
Does anyone have an old POS Craftsman torque wrench?

I'm looking for a basket case (doesn't matter what size it is) with the twist locking handle.

There are 2 small spring clips under the twist lock that I need to fix mine.

I called Sears to order parts and they told me they don't have replacement parts for them, once the 90 day warranty expired I was on my own. I told them the next time I need some tools I'll get cheap Chinese junk, at least I know where I stand with them!

That was dissapointing.

+1, both times I broke a craftsman tool I took it back and they gave me a replacement. Than again it wasn't a torque wrench. It was a couple of socket wrenches.

Ahh this is why, found this:

The Craftsman Unlimited Lifetime Warranty Policy is as follows:
If this Craftsman [hand tool]* ever fails to give complete satisfaction, return it to any Sears store or other Craftsman outlet in the United States for free repair or replacement. **This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may have other rights, which vary, from state to state.

The hand tool lifetime warranty is also in effect on many Craftsman Lawn & Garden products including rakes, shovels, clippers, brooms, trowels, pruners, hoses, sprinklers, hose nozzles and other small gardening hand tools.

In 2003 Sears removed the lifetime warranty from Craftsman flashlights. Another limitation to the warranty introduced in 2003 Craftsman tape measurers carry a lifetime warranty on all parts except the blade itself. Replacement blades, however, were made available for purchase from the stores to offset this policy.

The lifetime warranty does not include Craftsman power tools and precision hand tools. Craftsman portable power tools, bench power tools, air compressors, powered lawn & garden products and other powered items carry various warranties while many specialty hand tools such as torque wrenches, except beam-type torque wrenches which carry a Lifetime Warranty, and work lights carry a one year warranty. Sears offers Merchandise Replacement Agreements and Master Protection Agreements on most of their tools that extends the basic warranty. Master Protection Agreements also include yearly maintenance checks that may take place either in the home or at a local Sears repair center depending on the portability of the item. Repair Protection Agreements are available exclusively on powered Lawn & Garden products and are nearly identical to the Master Protection Agreements except lack the yearly maintenance checks.

Yup, did all these things. Not overly disappointed in being excluded from the lifetime guarantee, I don't like it, but I can live with it. What has me most irritated is that I can't order the little spring clips to fix it myself, apparantly the wrench is considered "not user serviceable."

I think that's the same as a "threshold guarantee".........once you cross it, you're on your own!:bang head:

So my only hope is to find a broken one for parts.....hopefully the 'unauthorized user police' won't come and take my birthday away!:confused2:

Yup, did all these things. Not overly disappointed in being excluded from the lifetime guarantee, I don't like it, but I can live with it. What has me most irritated is that I can't order the little spring clips to fix it myself, apparantly the wrench is considered "not user serviceable."

I think that's the same as a "threshold guarantee".........once you cross it, you're on your own!:bang head:

So my only hope is to find a broken one for parts.....hopefully the 'unauthorized user police' won't come and take my birthday away!:confused2:

ebay? i dunno.. might be easier to just get a new one for $25?

They replaced my Craftsman old style twist torque wrench. The handle went loose and it wouldn't adjust.

The thing I have found with sears is, one will differ from another. Take it to another store.

I was a mechanic for a while and made a substantial investment in their tools. I have found that their warranty is not the best. Screwdrivers and such are good. Their ratchets piss me off, they kit somone elses' wore out ratchet and trade you for your broken ratchet. I tend to take care of my tools, and the last time I ended up with a beat up scratched up ratchet in exchange for the one I took care of. The employee said that is their policy. I asked for a rebuild kit to put in my ratchet, and they told me they send them in. GRR..

Snap on and MAC have(had in MAC's case) a similar ratchet warranty except they rebuilt yours in front of you. Their screwdriver warranty is better than craftsman in some ways, Snapon puts a new shank in your handle, but Craftsman does not like to replace prybars.....

ebay? i dunno.. might be easier to just get a new one for $25?

$89.99 Garrett, but that isn't an option as I've given Sears all the $'s I'm gonna for torque wrenches! ......I'm working on ebay but I'm not too anxious to pay $18 or $20 for a $1.89 part, either.

There used to be an 800 tool repair number but I can't find it.

Is there a fastener store or a nicely stocked hardware store nearby. They might have the clips. I've lost a few e-clips before and found replacements at both the fastener store and sentury hardware.

Is there a fastener store or a nicely stocked hardware store nearby. They might have the clips. I've lost a few e-clips before and found replacements at both the fastener store and sentury hardware.

It's not an e-clip KJ, it's a flat piece of spring steel about 1/4" wide x 3/4" long with a nub in the middle which fits in grooves in the shaft which giveing it the clicking when you turn the handle. Turning the locking ring pinches down on the spring steel which holds the handle in place while using it.

I prowled the local hdwr. store this am but no luck. I thought maybe I'd found something in the 'self closing hinge section, but it wouldn't work.:bang head:

There's something out there that will work perfectly.....I just gotta find it, or make it, or adapt it..............or steal it!:biglaugh:

Aha!! I got it! I found a chick who had her shit in one seabag! 5 minutes on the phone with her and my parts are on the way, $16 for spring clips, twist ring, handle.....the whole 9 yards!

And, the most important bit of info..........the key to the parts kingdom
Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts ...
just enter the model # and every friggin thing you ever wanted to know is right there.

Checking other stores was a good idea, and worked out! Thanks!

If you guys ever have time check this place out. www.princessauto.com
There slogan is NO SALE IS FINAL UNTIL YOUR SATISFIED
They stock regular items as well as surplus (check this out for sure). A handyman's dream store.
Great place tools are not for the all day everyday mechanic. But for everyone else perfect. Last week I purchased two torque wrenchs
A 1/4 and 3/8 Micrometer Adjustable for $42 for both on sale, even have a certificate of calibration. The angle grinder and steel chop saw came with spare brushes. This is a Canadian chain but they do have online. There stores are huge so if you go to visit allow some time. You guys will love this store!!!!

If you guys ever have time check this place out. www.princessauto.com
There slogan is NO SALE IS FINAL UNTIL YOUR SATISFIED
They stock regular items as well as surplus (check this out for sure). A handyman's dream store.
Great place tools are not for the all day everyday mechanic. But for everyone else perfect. Last week I purchased two torque wrenchs
A 1/4 and 3/8 Micrometer Adjustable for $42 for both on sale, even have a certificate of calibration. The angle grinder and steel chop saw came with spare brushes. This is a Canadian chain but they do have online. There stores are huge so if you go to visit allow some time. You guys will love this store!!!!

That looks like a good place to spend some coin! Thanks for the link Lightning, that's going right in 'favorites'!

Latest posts

Back