Looking to buy my first VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipath0427

Reaction score
I am new to this forum but it seems like you all know enough to help me out. I recently totaled my Suzuki so i need a new bike, and ever since I first saw the vmax I knew I had to have one. Unfortunately my insurance company is only giving me about $2500 for my bike so I'm looking to get an older model vmax. The question I have for you is what would be the best year range to look for? I had read that they made some safety changes to the bike in the mid 90s but cant find exactly what they were or what years they happened. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike - welcome to the site. There is a list of changes over the years HERE (it's under the "Tech and Info" link)

In 93 they upgraded the front end so you might want to look for one later than that. Or, you could find an original year 1985 and just plan to dump a bunch of money into it as time goes one (which you are going to do anyway). Everyone knows that 85's are the coolest.

1989 and on... Electronic ignition

1993 and on... New forks and brakes up front.

1996 and on... Spin on oil filter.

IMO the 1993 and on are your best bet.

When did they start painting flat black engines and frames? Looks like a rattle can job to me.

When did they start painting flat black engines and frames? Looks like a rattle can job to me.

Nice...

2003... but I think they skipped '04 then started again in '05 till '07.

Mine doesn't look like a rattle can. They're actually metallic flat.

Chris

Nice...

2003... but I think they skipped '04 then started again in '05 till '07.

Mine doesn't look like a rattle can. They're actually metallic flat.

Chris

i respectfully disagree and believe '03 and '04 were identical bikes.

Yep, jump on a bus and come pick up this 98 I have ready to go. Still not as cheap as you wanted but stick a little bit in with the money from the insurance and get a nicer one. This 98 is now running well (I rebuilt the carbs, new intake o-rings, fork seals/fluid). Engine had been rebuilt by previous owner (stock specs). It's not the cleanest bike out there but it is a solid bike. It has slip-on exhaust (re-jetted by me when I did the carbs). Progressive front springs and Superbrace fork brace. Progressive rear 412 shocks. Newer front tire. Bald rear tire. Powdercoated wheels and scoops (silver). Feels like a Euro bar is installed. Braided front brakes lines (and I replaced the front pads due to oil saturation from the bad fork seals). Can't remember what else?? Looking at $3750 for this bike.

I am picking up a completely stock 94 towards the end of June that has a bad trans. Other then that is all stock and ran well. Depending on what the potential buyer wants can fix the trans with stock components or can put one of our overdrive fifth gears on it. Going to be looking at $3000-$4000 depending on what else needs done or if customer wants additional things upgraded (solid mounts - dd clutch - HD oiling - ect....).

Of course we can build one from scratch for you too but price is still going to be a lot more then your starting budget.

I am currently building a 99 that we will use for some of this season as a "test" bike. We are building one of our basic 1300 builds so potential customers can ride and see what the engines are capable of. When it's done the bike will sell for $4500-$5000 range (maybe a bit less but not much).

Do a search or ask around here about us. I think you'll find most any bike you get from me will be a solid performer or I will at least tell you a straight story on it.

I have one customer coming down in mid June from Johnstown PA (He's on the board here). We are building his 1500cc Vmax engine right now and will be installing it prior to the dyno day in Topeka Ks. (I am near Wichita Ks.) Maybe you could trailer with him or even hitch a ride to come down and see a lot of these bikes in person.

Sean Morley
www.MorleysMuscle.com

Yep, jump on a bus and come pick up this 98 I have ready to go. Still not as cheap as you wanted but stick a little bit in with the money from the insurance and get a nicer one. This 98 is now running well (I rebuilt the carbs, new intake o-rings, fork seals/fluid). Engine had been rebuilt by previous owner (stock specs). It's not the cleanest bike out there but it is a solid bike. It has slip-on exhaust (re-jetted by me when I did the carbs). Progressive front springs and Superbrace fork brace. Progressive rear 412 shocks. Newer front tire. Bald rear tire. Powdercoated wheels and scoops (silver). Feels like a Euro bar is installed. Braided front brakes lines (and I replaced the front pads due to oil saturation from the bad fork seals). Can't remember what else?? Looking at $3750 for this bike.

I am picking up a completely stock 94 towards the end of June that has a bad trans. Other then that is all stock and ran well. Depending on what the potential buyer wants can fix the trans with stock components or can put one of our overdrive fifth gears on it. Going to be looking at $3000-$4000 depending on what else needs done or if customer wants additional things upgraded (solid mounts - dd clutch - HD oiling - ect....).

Of course we can build one from scratch for you too but price is still going to be a lot more then your starting budget.

I am currently building a 99 that we will use for some of this season as a "test" bike. We are building one of our basic 1300 builds so potential customers can ride and see what the engines are capable of. When it's done the bike will sell for $4500-$5000 range (maybe a bit less but not much).

Do a search or ask around here about us. I think you'll find most any bike you get from me will be a solid performer or I will at least tell you a straight story on it.

I have one customer coming down in mid June from Johnstown PA (He's on the board here). We are building his 1500cc Vmax engine right now and will be installing it prior to the dyno day in Topeka Ks. (I am near Wichita Ks.) Maybe you could trailer with him or even hitch a ride to come down and see a lot of these bikes in person.

Sean Morley
www.MorleysMuscle.com

sounds like a awesome deal mike, you should take sean up on it, you wont be disappointed at all.:punk:

Hind sight being 20/20 I would of bought a newer one. I bought a 1985 that was suppose to be in TOP mechanical shape :damn angry: So far I have...put in a new battery,carbs rebuilt and syncronized,dumped out the stale smelling anifreeze, put in front pads,one caliper,new air filter, signal light prblems,new fuell filter,tank flush, 4 spark plugs, now the boost control unit. Had to regrease and re tourque the front stearing head "had a bad wobble'. I wasnt expecting all this.
If your budget is small be prepared to get your fingers messy and your wallet lighter. For the amount of time and money I am throwing at this bike,..I COULD of bought a newer one. I am too far in now , so I gotta see it to the end. Sure am learning alot in a hurry. I am just so thank full that there are so many good learned people on this FORUM.

Hind sight being 20/20 I would of bought a newer one. I bought a 1985 that was suppose to be in TOP mechanical shape :damn angry: So far I have...put in a new battery,carbs rebuilt and syncronized,dumped out the stale smelling anifreeze, put in front pads,one caliper,new air filter, signal light prblems,new fuell filter,tank flush, 4 spark plugs, now the boost control unit. Had to regrease and re tourque the front stearing head "had a bad wobble'. I wasnt expecting all this.
If your budget is small be prepared to get your fingers messy and your wallet lighter. For the amount of time and money I am throwing at this bike,..I COULD of bought a newer one. I am too far in now , so I gotta see it to the end. Sure am learning alot in a hurry. I am just so thank full that there are so many good learned people on this FORUM.
Thats just all the normal maintenance of owning a motorcycle. If you put miles on it:confused2:

Other than rebuilding the carbs... Been there done that... Oh and mine's an '06... 3500 miles and counting... :eusa_dance:

Agreed. Many of the noted items need done on a newer model too. For instance the 98 we just worked on needed carbs cleaned, intake o-rings, fork seals, brake pads replaced (due to the fork seals) and misc. It is ready to go now except needs a back tire.

Sean

Thats just all the normal maintenance of owning a motorcycle. If you put miles on it:confused2:

yea, +1, except for the rear caliper (unless you just had to rebuild). I've done all of that stuff on my '03...

Its worth it. The 85 may have had its issues. But its the coolest year and IMO will be worth the most eventually.

I never believe anyone when it comes to buying. Youll hear it all. Motor rebuilt by Vanes and Hines but no paper work. I cant believe I actually called Vanes & Hines who told me they never did work for the guy or on a Vmax for that matter. If it doesnt run right the price goes way down. No paperwork and it never happened.

I'm new to the forum but I'm surprised by all the maintenance needed by some posters. I bought my 1985 brand new and have only:

* replaced fork seals once
* flushed anti-freeze once
* new factory exhaust system after the original started rusting

The rest is normal routine maintenance of oil & filters. BTW, just checked my valve clearances and not one of the valves has required adjustment in 50,000 miles.

Runs great, gets good mileage, uses no oil. It's B-O-N-E stock. ((Ok, I did put on a set of factory Yamaha crash bars / highway pegs.))

50,000 miles and going strong. I'm leaving in a couple of hours on Max on a 300 mile day ride up towards the Canadian border. :)

So, to the OP, they're all good. I think the history and treatment of the bike is more important than the year it was made. Mine has always been garaged ~ that's a big issue for me. The problem in buying used is that you can never tell how someone cared for the bike.

Good luck in your search!

I'm new to the forum but I'm surprised by all the maintenance needed by some posters. I bought my 1985 brand new and have only:

* replaced fork seals once
* flushed anti-freeze once
* new factory exhaust system after the original started rusting

The rest is normal routine maintenance of oil & filters. BTW, just checked my valve clearances and not one of the valves has required adjustment in 50,000 miles.

Runs great, gets good mileage, uses no oil. It's B-O-N-E stock. ((Ok, I did put on a set of factory Yamaha crash bars / highway pegs.))

50,000 miles and going strong. I'm leaving in a couple of hours on Max on a 300 mile day ride up towards the Canadian border. :)

So, to the OP, they're all good. I think the history and treatment of the bike is more important than the year it was made. Mine has always been garaged ~ that's a big issue for me. The problem in buying used is that you can never tell how someone cared for the bike.

Good luck in your search!

really? not even brake pads?

Its worth it. The 85 may have had its issues. But its the coolest year and IMO will be worth the most eventually.

I never believe anyone when it comes to buying. Youll hear it all. Motor rebuilt by Vanes and Hines but no paper work. I cant believe I actually called Vanes & Hines who told me they never did work for the guy or on a Vmax for that matter. If it doesnt run right the price goes way down. No paperwork and it never happened.

Not sure why it would be the coolest as it's pretty much the same as the rest and it may be worth more than the later years but only by a marginal amount. It would have to be dead stock to really be any different than other years. Many have upgraded them to the point of not being worth as much to a collector where most the money is had. The problem the earlier bikes have is the later bikes. Most people who buy them just spend a little bit more and get the upgraded brakes, electrical and forks.

With 22 years of bikes made, I wouldn't count on the vmax being a huge money maker for a collector.

I am the same as you are. I never believe anything unless it's proven to me.

Back