Low speed wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 45 mph wobble question...

No, not the chrome nut man.

Here is the stack up from the top down

Chrome nut, top triple, special washer, castellated nut, rubber washer (the furber "fix" replaces this)castellated nut, bearing cap.

There are two castellated nuts under the top triple tree that are locked together with a "special washer" that fits in the grooves of these two nuts. Here is what you do.

Raise front end
Loosen chrome nut
Loosen lower triple tree pinch bolts
Tighten the castellated nuts. I do both at the same time.

Cured my wobbles with this method. I had a VERY slight bounce when the bars were dropped to the left. Not when to the right though.
Thats what I was trying to say LOL:rofl_200:

that bounce theory is a little cavemanish...mine would bounce probably three times brand new from factory and never had a low or high speed wobble or shake..if two tight you bike wont track straight

that bounce theory is a little cavemanish...mine would bounce probably three times brand new from factory and never had a low or high speed wobble or shake..if two tight you bike wont track straight

You're right Sal, it is a little cavemanish!:biglaugh: But it's prolly the easiest and best way to account for all the variables that MIGHT be responsible for the wobble, such as loose stearing head bearings,wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, tire wear..........and whatever the hell else could cause this illusive friggin' wobble!!

You're right Sal, it is a little cavemanish!:biglaugh: But it's prolly the easiest and best way to account for all the variables that MIGHT be responsible for the wobble, such as loose stearing head bearings,wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, tire wear..........and whatever the hell else could cause this illusive friggin' wobble!!
your right i should of had a v8

I got it all figured out guys...thanks! Mine was way off as it bounced like roseanne barrs thighs when I let it go to either side. I tightened those weird looking nuts and finally it started to bounce less and less. It now bounces just a little bit but if I go just a 1/4 turn more it won't hardly go down to the left or right...

Do you guys think that's about perfect?

hey abe.

i made the same mistake as you and frantically PM'ed danny as him and I had talked about it! haha... i actually almost got a breaker bar out to tighten that nut down further but then thought about it.. glad i didn't..

anyways. mine almost bounces by itself and i couldn't be happier with the results. goes in a straight line no problem and i had a tiny wobble if the road was shitty, otherwise i was good to go

can i also say framebraces helped! thats a $300 fix tho unfortunately.. but they look bad ass!

Just got back from a test run and it is still wobbling at 45 BUT not as much. Should I try to loosen it further?

If it tracks straight (doesn't weave) going down the road I wouldn't loosen them any more. Nailing down a wobble is like trying to grab a handful of smoke...they are sooo friggin' illusive!

You could try to snug them up just a hair more and check for improvement, if nothing else that might let you know if you're heading in the right direction.

You prolly should avoid any real high speed runs until you get a handle on this.

If it tracks straight (doesn't weave) going down the road I wouldn't loosen them any more. Nailing down a wobble is like trying to grab a handful of smoke...they are sooo friggin' illusive!

You could try to snug them up just a hair more and check for improvement, if nothing else that might let you know if you're heading in the right direction.

You prolly should avoid any real high speed runs until you get a handle on this.

What's the front tire like? New? Balanced?

I have had the bike over 120 several times in the last few days and it has no wobble anywhere else.

Front tire is BRAND new BUT what should pressure be at ideally?

Maybe an inch or two bounce from letting go with the wheel straight.

i'd say tighten it more. mine has NO bounce infact sometimes it won't even hit by itself. now some say thats too tight, but like i said, it stays in a straight line and my wobble had all but fanished. i'd say roughly its around 25 - 35 ft lbs on that bottom nut

My bike doesn't have any wobble (side to side motion) but from 30-45 I have an up and down motion ( 2 to 3 per second). Has anyone experienced this? I have been told by previous owner that it was due to solid motor mounts being installed. Has brand new front tire, racetech springs & gold emulators up front and progressive 440's in the rear all new.

Back