Made my own frame braces

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
I made my own frame braces today out of some stuff I had lying around the house. I have really wanted some but couldnt justify the cost honestly...:confused2:

So they are technically more like "racer bars" but you get the point,hopefully they will reduce frame flex a little in the twisties.

Anyhow,I already had the frame sliders and decided to just expand on them. They look pretty heavy but they weigh a COMBINED 3 pounds.

Yes my bike needs a wash...That comes tomorrow after work!:biglaugh:

Lemme know what ya think guys.

Attachments

• DSCN0086.jpg
    DSCN0086.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCN0082.jpg
    DSCN0082.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCN0081.jpg
    DSCN0081.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 297
I think that's the nicest looking set I've ever seen. Color matching them to the bike helps too.

yeah that looks great. I love the idea to have them integrated with the frame sliders.
You're right about the cost. I still don't understand why it usually cost more than $300 for those.

It was a very good idea :) Planning to do more than 1 set ? lol
But why not a full length, up to the frame ? Any reason for that ? position of the sliders ?

very very nice ace. jealous of your fabrication abilities man. now how do they bolt on up top? did you have to weld something on the frame?

-I took a short cut on where they go to the frame, and alctually bolted into the frame itself.

-The reason I didnt go full length was indeed because where the sliders were,I liked the sliders there.

-I could make more,but I used all my scrap metal!:rofl_200:
I feel that I could have done a MUCH cleaner job with some better tools but on the whole Im happy with the results.

They were easy to make for the most part, the hardest part was replacing my front engine bolt because my brother cross threaded it to the point of no return.Aside from that it was a cake walk if you can weld.

+1, Also is the rear of your chin spoiler bolted in the lower part of the frame?

Nice job on the braces, I agree with the color matching. It sets things off :punk:

I noticed that right off but hadn't made any comments. I do like the overall job but it's not always a great idea to weaking the frame like that. One thing that would really make it improve would be to bushing the holes with the bushings welded back to the frame. Bore the bushings (or ream them) so that you can use close tolerance "shoulder" bolts and then bolt it that way.

Overall once you do that part you will have an extremely strong connection. The only improvement to that would be to use the forward bolt holes and not the single engine mount. Also, do a dowel pin conversion to the removable frame section so that it also fits very tightly and you've eliminated a lot of the flexible movement and starting to really make big gains in strength.

I must comment too that it's not always good to have 100% rigidity. Some chassis flex is desired most of the time but in a controlled area. Take a look at the top fuel cars. They tried making them rigid years back and were breaking the cars in half. Now they allow for flex and have not had much problem since.

Sean

That's also the reason why you don't weld chrome moly with chrome moly and instead use an E70S2 steel alloy. Flex is actually good... To much like a stock Vmax is not.

Chris

Good job Ace,:biglaugh:
they came out really nice.:eusa_dance:
I was curious to see what you would come up with when you told me you were going to make them.
<<Dave>>:punk:

-SO...I took it into some twisties today,tighter than ever! Shes very resposive and much more fluid in the turns. No more shudder when rolling on or off the throttle. I was not expecting the bars to do nearly as much as they did.Im eager to get my steering stabilizer and go handle some technicals!

Yes, yes, I put taps through my frame,Ill take my wrist slap now. The one on my belly pan/"chin" is tiny,it just holds it in place. The ones on my back bone are temporary,Ill make them more rigid later with better material. For now it works.

Im very pleased with the way they turned out and the bike handles better because of it.

Not bad considering I used an old chair from a dinning room set and some stainless steel of BMX bike trick pegs.
Its not about making it perfect,its about bein happy with it and that I am!

Just keep your eye out for small stress cracks around all the holes in the frame.

Chris

I like his idea, however being a modder myself I think there might be a way to improve the home grown frame mount without drilling in.
How about sleeving the actual frame with steel tubing. (obviously not the whole frame, but at least a 4 inch section where the mount will go-weld the sleeve and weld a 3/8 steel tab on the sleeve? Bolt the mount and you are off.

Not to mention you can remove the mount when needing to work on the max.

Well I am probably gonna do it. I dont like the frame look, but judging by some testimonies...its works.

Looks great! I'm just worried about the drilling. Just keep an eye on her - but besides that - top shelf!! Looks fantastic.

Latest posts

Back