metz 170 - WHO had to do a washer swap?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check your insurance small print. All modifications (other than purely cosmetic) to any vehicle invalidate insurance policies unless declared and approved by the company. In practice it's rare for this to apply, but if an expert examines your vehicle following to a claim, it's an easy way out for them. That's what the small print's all about..

Just read my policy, not mentioned.

BTW, I was told by the guy at Tires Unlimited that if you mount a 170 on a 150 rim your tire warranty is out the window!

I doubt it's a problem in this case since Metzeler designs the tire specifically for the V-Max. No other bike uses this tire, that I know of. In my case, no washer swap was needed. The profile of the tire appears to be shaped to fit into the V-Max swingarm. My tire fits exactly with about 1/16 inch clearance.

I doubt it's a problem in this case since Metzeler designs the tire specifically for the V-Max. No other bike uses this tire, that I know of.

That's interesting, since Yamaha calls for a tire with a higher speed rating than that of the ME880, which is only H-rated (130mph). Regardless of how long you will actually spend there, the Vmax is still good for 145mph in stock form, and as such demands a tire that is at least V-rated (149mph), such as the Shinko T230, and the Bridgestone that's factory fitted.

And, guys reading your insurance policy, are you serious? It would take most of a day, if not more, to read all the small print that comes with it!
If in doubt, simply call your insurer. Tell them: I am considering mounting a tire that is a non-standard size not recommended by the manufacturer on my bike, will it affect my policy? And for god's sake, do NOT say you've already done it.

I will put $$ on the answer being 'if you do that your policy is no longer valid'. :confused2:

And, guys reading your insurance policy, are you serious? It would take most of a day, if not more, to read all the small print that comes with it!

Nahh, just a hair over 4 hours :rofl_200:
I did call and ask the insurance provider. only question was what is the recomended rim size for the tire. when I said it was on the high end, but within spec. they said don't worry about it.

Nahh, just a hair over 4 hours :rofl_200:
I did call and ask the insurance provider. only question was what is the recommended rim size for the tire. when I said it was on the high end, but within spec. they said don't worry about it.

Fair enough. Still, see how this is a bit of a gray area, and in the event of a claim, I think we all know only too well how insurance companies work..

Then again, as long as they don't find out :confused2: I was also running the 170 Shinko on mine :clapping:

Oh yeah. A friend of mine got his insurance cancelled on him. Apparently he did a mess of mods on his WRX, and walk bragging when he had the insurance reinstated for summer.

After telling them about his new brakes, suspension, bigger turbo..etc, the agent got up then when she came back said we can't insure that car as a stock vehicle anymore. then offered him a rate that was damn near double.

Can someone show some pics of the washer swap? Or explain it. Which side rubs? and where do the washers go?

That's interesting, since Yamaha calls for a tire with a higher speed rating than that of the ME880, which is only H-rated (130mph). Regardless of how long you will actually spend there, the Vmax is still good for 145mph in stock form, and as such demands a tire that is at least V-rated (149mph), such as the Shinko T230, and the Bridgestone that's factory fitted.

If in doubt, simply call your insurer. Tell them: I am considering mounting a tire that is a non-standard size not recommended by the manufacturer on my bike, will it affect my policy? And for god's sake, do NOT say you've already done it.

I will put $$ on the answer being 'if you do that your policy is no longer valid'. :confused2:

I've had the ME880 over 200mph on the dyno and though it grew in size pretty good it survived the days activities without any detriment. Not saying I would suggest to do that on any kind of normal basis but you aren't going to exceep the tires limitations here with even the most extreme driving (doubt you are going to get away with driving over the 130mph rating for an hour and not get yourself busted.

I just today put my ME880 170 on and there is exactly 1/4" between shaft and tire, no washer swap here. I should have took pictures before when I had the Excedra on the metz doesn't look any bigger. I got around 6500 miles out of the bridgestone excedra lets see how the metz lasts.

Can someone show some pics of the washer swap? Or explain it. Which side rubs? and where do the washers go?
When you take the rear wheel off, there's a washer on the right hand side that the axle fits into as it goes through the diff. Some people claim that you need to swap that washer to the left side between the rim and the differential to gain adequate clearance from the drive shaft/swingarm.

My Metz fit with no problems and no washer swap.

When you take the rear wheel off, there's a washer on the right hand side that the axle fits into as it goes through the diff. Some people claim that you need to swap that washer to the left side between the rim and the differential to gain adequate clearance from the drive shaft/swingarm.

My Metz fit with no problems and no washer swap.

+1 no need for washer swap with the metz 170

Just a reminder...
When a tire is at rest it's the fattest that it will get. As acceleration increases, centrifugal force takes over and makes the tire a little more narrow and a little taller.
If your metz isn't touching the swingarm at rest, it won't touch while in motion.

i've had the metzler 170 on for over a year and haven't seen any wear on the tire or shaft casing. i read about the washer swap but never had to do it.

Latest posts

Back