metz 170 - WHO had to do a washer swap?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Im not exactly the Metz 170 user but had one istaled for a while.
No need the washer in my case.

Just my 2 cents about washer swap as I've eat my theets on the many rims.
This method cousing faster wear out of the wheel bearings. Not dramaticly but
considerable.

That becouse the clutch hub is not seats fully in the pumpkin .
Then more you will move it form pumpkin then more backlash on the hub.
Then more backlash on the hub then more vibrations, thenmore vibrations then more radial play on the bearings.

Hub is actualy the thing that centering the wheel into pumpkin.
Some people use to say that axle centering the wheel - no.

Axle have about 0,2-0,3mm clearance to bearing innner race so it is not the centering factor.

I know that couse i use to replace my wheel bearing twice.
After my hub mod which is very simple the bearings will survive the atomic war.
Of course im always sugesting that mod when im selling my rear rim.

I will not mention about bigger rear wheel offset with the washer swap.
Maybe its not commonly known but the stock rim is already in offset a little.

Well Im not exactly the Metz 170 user but had one istaled for a while.
No need the washer in my case.

Just my 2 cents about washer swap as I've eat my theets on the many rims.
This method cousing faster wear out of the wheel bearings. Not dramaticly but
considerable.

That becouse the clutch hub is not seats fully in the pumpkin .
Then more you will move it form pumpkin then more backlash on the hub.
Then more backlash on the hub then more vibrations, thenmore vibrations then more radial play on the bearings.

Hub is actualy the thing that centering the wheel into pumpkin.
Some people use to say that axle centering the wheel - no.

Axle have about 0,2-0,3mm clearance to bearing innner race so it is not the centering factor.

I know that couse i use to replace my wheel bearing twice.
After my hub mod which is very simple the bearings will survive the atomic war.
Of course im always sugesting that mod when im selling my rear rim.

I will not mention about bigger rear wheel offset with the washer swap.
Maybe its not commonly known but the stock rim is already in offset a little.

Whats your hub mod?
and yes, i have heard that the stock setup is VERY slightly offset.

All those running a mets ME880 170

Metz 170 - WHO had to do a washer swap?

sorry, i run shinko 170, and no one has had to do a washer swap for it yet, but it seems 30-50% of people do it with the metz.

Just installed brand new metzler 170/80 on the customer 2003. No washer swap was needed. Even most of time when it does rub it's not going to hurt much other then a little paint removal!

Sean

I'm running the metz and no washer swap on mine. I wasn't worried cause I'm double notched for a 200 (comming in the near future). So I measured it just to check without the notches, it would have cleared with no problem.

i moved the washer over with my metz but after doing so there was plenty of room so no need to do it. just havent got around to move it back over. I wondered if it would wear anything out on the splines.

Well, I dropped the bike off.

I will know if the washer was needed tomorrow when I pick it up.

I rode on Sunday with a guy with an 05 ME880 170 no washer swap. My 05 stock OEM tire only has 2k miles on it so I havent gone to the 170 YET!

sorry, i run shinko 170, and no one has had to do a washer swap for it yet, but it seems 30-50% of people do it with the metz.

No washer swap on my '99 either.

BTW, I was told by the guy at Tires Unlimited that if you mount a 170 on a 150 rim your tire warranty is out the window!

BTW, I was told by the guy at Tires Unlimited that if you mount a 170 on a 150 rim your tire warranty is out the window!

Just to add to this - the minute you mount a tire of a different size than what is recommended by the manufacturer, you also automatically invalidate your insurance.
The only thing is, how will they find out?

No washer swap on my '99 either.

Every try to make good on a tire warranty, you get like $20 off a new $125 tire

Just to add to this - the minute you mount a tire of a different size than what is recommended by the manufacturer, you also automatically invalidate your insurance.
The only thing is, how will they find out?
Where did you hear this? Does it supposedly apply to cars as well? Never heard this before.

Check your insurance small print. All modifications (other than purely cosmetic) to any vehicle invalidate insurance policies unless declared and approved by the company. In practice it's rare for this to apply, but if an expert examines your vehicle following to a claim, it's an easy way out for them. That's what the small print's all about..

Check your insurance small print. All modifications (other than purely cosmetic) to any vehicle invalidate insurance policies unless declared and approved by the company. In practice it's rare for this to apply, but if an expert examines your vehicle following to a claim, it's an easy way out for them. That's what the small print's all about..

Couldn't agree more G....it also means there's precedent! If they decide to deny the claim you're SOL!

Back