Metzler Tire Question?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82ndCowboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was sitting here at work. I just had a Marathon front tire put on my Max this weekend.
I noticed, they have the same tread pattern, but the tread patterns are opposite each other.
They are both mounted with the rotation correct.
The rear has the tread cuts curved into rotation and the front has the tread cuts curved away from rotation.

Is this by design for a specific reason? Just curious.

I believe it's because the rear tire gets most of its stress under acceleration, whereas the front tire gets it under braking.

I believe it's because the rear tire gets most of its stress under acceleration, whereas the front tire gets it under braking.

Hmm, tread pattern is supposed to be for pushing water out from the tire.
I know my Shinko rear tire I had mounted was installed with the roatation opposite, but it hooks awesome and I dont have any issues with it. Why fix it if it aint broken:confused2:

I know my Shinko rear tire I had mounted was installed with the roatation opposite, but it hooks awesome and I dont have any issues with it. Why fix it if it aint broken:confused2:

So the purpose of the rotation arrow is just to make sure the tire is installed so it will dispell water properly?

I ask because a couple months ago I took my front tire/wheel to the local guy to fix a slow bead leak. After reading 82nd's post I went to check my ME's and noticed the guy had mounted it backwards. This was maybe 1500 miles ago, I don't notice any problems but could this become a problem?

Lankee is right tread pattern are designed for specifically chanelling water away. There will be no effects on wear whatsoever. When mounted backwards what ends up happening is just the opposite. Instead of evacuating water from under the tire the water is forced underneath which greater increases your chances of hydroplaning. That of course can lead to a loss of vehicle control. I have seen actual tests conducted by the tire manufacturers where directional tires were mounted backwards. The difference in wet traction is huge. Mounting them incorrectly is highly unadvisable.

yes - tires mounted backwards = suicide if you ever ride fast on a wet road!
:stretche:

That's why they have a rotation arrow.. And if a dealer mounts it the wrong way round they're asking to get sued big time!

So the purpose of the rotation arrow is just to make sure the tire is installed so it will dispell water properly?

I ask because a couple months ago I took my front tire/wheel to the local guy to fix a slow bead leak. After reading 82nd's post I went to check my ME's and noticed the guy had mounted it backwards. This was maybe 1500 miles ago, I don't notice any problems but could this become a problem?

Dan...

This is an extreme example, but, imagine what would happen with a pulling tractor's tires if the v paddles were mounted in the wrong direction.

Within seconds there would be 3 foot mounds of dirt that the tire would have to run over while scooping all that loose dirt and adding more to the equation.

Constant grooves will have no affect, but the v and rain grooves are working against you if mounted backwards in wet conditions.

Neil

Dan...

This is an extreme example, but, imagine what would happen with a pulling tractor's tires if the v paddles were mounted in the wrong direction.

Within seconds there would be 3 foot mounds of dirt that the tire would have to run over while scooping all that loose dirt and adding more to the equation.

Constant grooves will have no affect, but the v and rain grooves are working against you if mounted backwards in wet conditions.

Neil

Thanks guys, that makes sense. Mounted backwards, in the rain, the rain grooves are building 'pillows' of water instead of spinning it out, which will promote hydroplaning. That's not good at all!!

I'll call the bike shop that did it, get them to fix this situation.

I checked mine this evening and they were mounted correctly. I was sure since I've ridden 75-80 mph in the rain with no ill effects.

them clowns at the dealer must not chech rotation i had my front wheel in two weeks ago to install the metzler radial went to pick it up and the tire was backward oops their bad!
Chris :ranting:

A good tire installer will ask you what your rotation is if it is not obvious. I always put a mark on the wheel showing rotational direction so they can't screw up. On most bikes the drive side is on the left so that should be the default if your wheel has the sprocket/drive hub on it. If your drive is on the right, I would definitely mark the wheel.

yea mark it with bright yellow crayon because they sure dont look for the directional arrow on the tire. maybe say this way dumb s**t!!!!!!!
chris :biglaugh:

He's right!

The tire should look like it's going backwards on the front.

My front tires on my SV do 90% of the water pushing as the center of the back is smooth with no intersecting lines. (like a slick)

On my Vespa scooter I use Pirelli SL26 tires, and they have 2 different directional arrows, one for front wheel, one for rear wheel, and yes they are opposite each other. So I would say that it's probably a good thing to mount the tire in the proper direction for the mounting position!

-MikeS

I was sitting here at work. I just had a Marathon front tire put on my Max this weekend.
I noticed, they have the same tread pattern, but the tread patterns are opposite each other.
They are both mounted with the rotation correct.
The rear has the tread cuts curved into rotation and the front has the tread cuts curved away from rotation.

Is this by design for a specific reason? Just curious.

I just had a ME880 put on my front and noticed the same thing. I've checked the rotation arrows like 5 times just make sure I'm not tripping out. :)

I just had a ME880 put on my front and noticed the same thing. I've checked the rotation arrows like 5 times just make sure I'm not tripping out. :)

The driven tire uses the tread differently to shed water than does the drive tire I think....in one the force is coming from the wheel, in the other the force is coming from the road....

Back