Michigan helmet law repealed.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2fear

Reaction score
It's official, as of today you are no longer required to ware a helmet in Michigan if you meet certain criteria . Thanks for the offer but I will still use mine.

A bit like Florida then. Well, we all know it's stupid, even foolish riding a bike without a helmet, but still, I think it's REALLY GOOD to have the choice of doing what you want rather than being dictated to.

I think I'll keep mine on too, I just hope our ins rates in Mi don't go up as a result of this new law, not that they need another excuse to stick it to us a little more...................:bang head:....................Tom.

I think I'll keep mine on too, I just hope our ins rates in Mi don't go up as a result of this new law, not that they need another excuse to stick it to us a little more...................:bang head:....................Tom.

You know our rates will increase!

I can see some benefits to it.... You want to listen to a noise while putting around the block, You are cruising the lakeshore (grand haven) at a low speed and its hot out, Your cruising the metro cruise, etc... Basically any type of low speed cruising I think it would be nice to be able to take it off if you were so inclined... Anything above 35 or so and I'd just feel better having it on myself..

We already have the highest rates in the USA, and we have no fault. You would think the pols would be angry about that designation!!!

O

You have to be at least 21 years old OR complete a rider safety course. You must also have an EXTRA $20,000 in medical insurance for you and your passenger.

That is the same Law that we have here in Texas but you only need 10K in private insurance NOT Medicaid OR Medicare

I personally think helmets are as necessary as seat belts but then again Im not on the legislative senate committee in charge of such matters so my opinion doesnt count. AND THEY KNOW BEST RIGHT?:ummm::ummm:

Darwin is already at work, don't worry.

The people who won't wear a helmet are the same ones who "had to throw it away" when they intentionally dropped their bikes to avoid an accident.:confused2:

Soon enough, the gene pool will balance itself as those who ride, decide to not protect themselves and leave-permanently. Think of the helmet law repeal being the chlorine for the motorcyclist gene pool.

A side benefit is that the bike wrecking yards will have a new influx of damaged bikes to "break," as our British friends would say. :clapping:Happy parts-hunting, guys! :biglaugh:

No law one state over in RI for the driver. I still wear mine there. They pay big rates for insurance and were threatened with withdrawal of highway funds. It's strange seeing them ride with a helmet on their elbow in case they get lucky, or cross over to Ma. Why not wear two and protect each elbow?

Now we all can enjoy the imposition of someone else's "freedom" on us, when they get killed in a minor off instead of a few scratches and back on the road. Traffic deaths take a lot longer to sort out then a minor crunch. Not to mention the psychological trauma experienced by those around it.

Plus higher insurance rates to cover the more expensive accidents.

No thanks. I'm all for helmet laws.

A bit like Florida then. Well, we all know it's stupid, even foolish riding a bike without a helmet, but still, I think it's REALLY GOOD to have the choice of doing what you want rather than being dictated to.

I wear 4 point restraints on my max!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TX has a similar law if you show proof of additional medical coverage ( It's 10 thousand in TX) you can ride helmet-less. Well to each their own I say. I would not ride without one myself .

I ride with a helmet, foolish not to IMO. If anyone asks my opinion on the subject they will get one some will not like it. That is what the "chlorine in the pool" is for. I just hate to have to pay highrer rates for it.

I can see some benefits to it.... You want to listen to a noise while putting around the block, You are cruising the lakeshore (grand haven) at a low speed and its hot out, Your cruising the metro cruise, etc... Basically any type of low speed cruising I think it would be nice to be able to take it off if you were so inclined... Anything above 35 or so and I'd just feel better having it on myself..
I know taken a june bug in the forehead or a wasp in the check hurts like a mofo at highway speeds. I like a full face bucket, I like to get a one with a flip up face and build in sun glasses, but all those frills cost extra. I really do not care for the wind howl on my ears at highway speed either, I know a half bucket make it worst with the wind in the straps next to the ear. I am losing my hearing from loud music but I do not need to speed it up either. Helmet laws State by State as of '03

You have to be at least 21 years old OR complete a rider safety course. You must also have an EXTRA $20,000 in medical insurance for you and your passenger.

Wow.
Up here, you have to be over 18. All passengers have to wear one regardless.

In Utah only people under 18 have to wear one. Other than that its do what you want.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Back