My bikes puttering! Help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymel

Reaction score
I've noticed that my bike putters only when I'm taking off in low RPM's. This happens when I'm taking off sometimes in first or shifting to 2nd then going a bit. It's like the bike doesn't perform well if I'm going slow lol. It almost feels like the bike is running out of gas but it has plenty. It's like a put-put-perfect. It doesn't do this in higher RPM's or when I'm nailing it.

I've changed pretty much everything from the spark plugs to the gear oil. I'm going to try to pour some of that carb/jet cleaner stuff through a tank of gas and see if it helps.

Can anybody tell me what they think is wrong?

98, Full exhaust, K & N

It's like the bike is going to stall but then suddenly it just gets a burst of power and is better after that.

May be one or more of your a/f pilot jets are clogged up. Mine was cylinder 3. This is a dangerous condition. In idle no. 3 did not fire. When I would take off there would always be a jump as the cylinder fired up with throttle. If I was turning and taking off it was dangerous because I had the jump and that is no place to jump when you have the wheel turned. Once took off with wheel turned in just a little gravel. We went down to the ground with the jump as the front tire slid through the gravel. That is no place to ever, ever be!

I had to send no. 3 carb to Sean Morley. The stuck a/f pilot jet was taken out, threads inside were trashed. Hole was drilled and an insert was put in place. The insert has threads on the inside to accept the a/f pilot jet. That fixed the jump, cylinder no. 3 idled fine after this.

See if you can determine the cylinder not firing at idle. Start bike cold, get to regular idle without reving. After a few minutes feel the cylinders with your hand. If all are hot except one, and it is just so so warm, there you go, you found it. Another test, put water in a windex bottle. After a few minutes spray water on each exhaust pipe near the cylinder connection. Water should immediately disappear. The pipe that takes a while to disappear is the one not idling.

Just my experience with my problem. May or may not be your problem but kind of sounds like it. Good luck.

Thanks.

The bike idles fine always. And I only have this problem 1/3 times I ride it. It's really weird. It's got 25,000 miles so I'm hoping the cleaner will fix it.

"Start Your Engine Additive"... Follow the directions atleast half way may help. Excellent cleaner....
Draining the float bowls first into a white paper cup may identify any tiny black particles causing the problem too....

Good Luck...

Yea, a bit of SeaFoam should help. Make sure you don't put more than recommended though.

If it doesn't go away the 'shotgun' is pretty straightforward to do, doesn't require anything to be taken off and may also be of help.

The air jets won't get cleaned from fuel additives. They are good to use along with the shot gun and pea shooter.Both will be something you'll want to learn about as regular Vmax maintenance.
Next time it bogs, apply some choke and see if it helps? The a/f screws might be in lean a bit? http://69.27.101.36/showthread.php?t=4499 for pea shooter info (Brian's post)

Last edited:
mine had asimilar issues and the shotgun fixed 99% of it

take your plugs out while you do the procedure as well. mine got fouled from the cleaner and i hadda run out and get new ones.

If you drain any small black particles from the float bowels, it may well help stop this from happening, then use an additive. If that doesn't work,,, Shotgun proceedure..

Good Luck....

If this is happening while at 2500rpms or less, and your fan is on at the same time, it could be the horrific 'low voltage syndrome' instead of carb issues.

Wouldn't hurt for you to check out your charging voltages while at idle, and up to 2500 rpms. Should be better than 13.25 volts or so, otherwise, your ECU may be acting irradic. But I'd add that usually this problem is accompanied with your bike dying unexpectedly, occasionally at idle.

Back