My diagnostics thread... help needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
Ok, guys. I've got the bike reassembled enough to start testing for my electrical gremlin. I get stronk crank and no spark. I've got a test kit from Sean and have replaced my parts with his at the following locations
bar switch housings
left side cover relays and boxes
tci brain
ignition switch (key)
sidestand switch

With these items plugged in, I still get strong crank and no spark. I'm getting ready to move on to coil replacement, I just have a hard time believing that all the coils went bad at the same time. Not that I've heard this bike run at all yet. I've only gotten one backfire with starter fluid and I don't want to try that again. I'm taking suggestions and I'm on spring break, so I can actually do some stuff right away.

Here's a pic of the reading I get from my pickup coil. I'm sort of bad at using the multimeter, I think, because I rolled the ohm load adjuster wheel full on and off and it changed the reading. However, when it was reading steady, I took this picture. Thanks for all your help.
pickup coil.jpg

Where is that located? the pic I attached is of the orange/brown pickup coil wires that run up the left side of the gas tank from behind the case cover at the shift lever. I believe that reading to be within spec. Unless I tested the wrong thing or there's another one.

Maybe I tested the wrong wires. I've read two threads with different descriptions. One says 5 wires, one says 2... I tested the two (orange/black) and got the reading shown in the pic above. hmmm

YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!..... ish. I got this beast to start! Only problem is, I think I've mucked up my carb rebuild and have butterflies open or something screwy. I'm getting blue smoke puffs out of right rear and it wants to "idle" at 4k. I'm going to keep starting it and unscrewing the idle speed screw, but it's pretty far out right now. Could it be that my sync screws are that far out of adjustment that it's revving like crazy? I can't remember if I put any "Start your engine" in the tank when I filled it, but could that be causing really high idle?

So it seems I'm burning oil at a pretty good clip. Idle has settle with screw fiddling and checking choke positions. Disheartening, but maybe I can find a motor with a good 2nd gear locally and just put that in....

When i was fiddling withe V-Boost inlets, I noticed that two screws had oil on them and were shorter than the others... Is that normal?
I hope I didn't explode a ring with the one backfire I got with starter fluid.
Here's the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxb4euGQlP4&feature=youtu.be

The one with the 5 wires is the twin pickup model (earlier than 1990). The intakes have 2 shorter screws. The front left and the rear right and when you unscrew them it will drip oil from the thread.

I think I put equal length screws in those when I put the v-boost back on. Did I open something up that's not supposed to be? Poke a hole in a gasket?

I was just out watching it run again and noticed that it continues to release blue smoke even after shutdown. This makes me wonder if it might eventually burn off or something. Not that I want to smoke out my whole garage, but it's not blowing oil up into the airbox. Is there another vent line that could be clogged/pinched/whatever that's letting the motor suck up oil? I can't see any leaks on the outside of the engine anywhere.

Carb sync is your number 1 priority right now to see if it's running ok. If it's way out can idle like crazy or not at all. Even a rough visual sync is better than none - just look down your carb inlet all four butterflies should open/close together.

The smoke may be something burning off, which may take a bunch of miles to clear.

If you're noticing your oil level actually going down then you may have (a) bad ring(s) - best way to find out is to run a compression test on all four pots.

Thanks, G. I wasn't sure how long things would take to burn off. It's possible that this thing spent some time leaning on its left side before the guy pumped all the rusty gas into the carbs. I'm going to let it warm up all the way and try to assemble my DIY sync tool today and see what I can come up with. I hope I don't have to bend those little sync tabs. Thanks for all the help.

Back