Nail VS Rear Tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkw0417

Reaction score
Well I get to have my first experience pulling off the rear wheel thanks to a local roofing nail that took up residence in my rear Dunlop. This is my second bike, and I have never had a tire go more then 1600 mile before I picked up a damn nail. I have the worst luck with that.

Well I get to have my first experience pulling off the rear wheel thanks to a local roofing nail that took up residence in my rear Dunlop. This is my second bike, and I have never had a tire go more then 1600 mile before I picked up a damn nail. I have the worst luck with that.

Well, that sucks. Are you perhaps in a neighborhood with lots of roofs being replaced? We went through that about 10 years ago, when everyone's cedar shingles got replaced at virtually the same time. No trouble with it lately.

So, new tire?

Nope, no new roofs in my neighborhood. Just a random thing on this nail. All the previous ones happened when I lived in Corpus Christi(worked next to a furniture store, I think they were the source of most of those problems but couldn't prove it) so this is my first Houston nail. ALso the first one on the max. Yeah I will get a new tire since I don't trust a non radial to stay together after having a nail go though the plys.

Gonna see what the dealer is gonna charge for a tire, if they will mount one I buy myself, and what the price difference is for wheel on the bike vs off the bike.

I don't ride very aggressively, so there was tons of tread left, and I will probably just stick with the stock tire.

Dunlop Qualifiers on mine, yeah I don't feel like having any hardleys hanging from my center stand, I enounter the same vrod every other day and it would be a shame to have to drag him to my house on a damn magnet.

One question about the ME880 is it a bias ply like the qualifer

Dunlop Qualifiers on mine, yeah I don't feel like having any hardleys hanging from my center stand, I enounter the same vrod every other day and it would be a shame to have to drag him to my house on a damn magnet.

One question about the ME880 is it a bias ply like the qualifer

YES! Just make sure you order the right one as they also make it in a radial like the one on my bike.

I know it wasn't meant for it, but can you run a radial on the stock wheel? <-- ignore this question anyway, I got my tire, will have it installed tomorrow.

I read this on a forum/ in a mag sometime ago, seems like it might work........:confused2:
Anyways the jist of what this article was saying is that when a nail is on the road they normally are on their side. Once you drive over them it "stands up" then punctures the rear tire. Their solution to help prevent this from happening: hang a rubber flap that drags on the ground in front of the rear tire to knock the nail back down or out of the way. I guess it would have to be pretty stiff to work or else the air would push off the ground rendering it useless. May only work on Harleys since they don't go fast enough to move that much air?:biglaugh:
Anyways, I'm glad I got that piece of useless information out of my head so it's not taking up valuable space I could be using to remember that website's address where I get all the hawt babes pictures from. :ummm:
I know you guys thought that they were just pictures I took from some local girls here in the da U.P., sorry to burst your bubble.
Just as a teaser, September is blondes, blondes, blondes month!:punk:

I think I would rather keep chancing the nails rather then hang something under the bike.

as a side note, blonde, brunette, redhead, doesnt' matter as long as they are hot.

I know you guys thought that they were just pictures I took from some local girls here in the da U.P., sorry to burst your bubble. (Quote)

Redbone..........I don't care if they come from 'One Hung Lo' Mongolia, just keep 'em coming!! :eusa_dance::biglaugh::clapping::rofl_200:

Brian,

You need to forward that website to your buddies!!!!!:biglaugh: Your avatar pic just begs to be shown in real size!!! Ooooops, almost hijacked a thread so, sucks to pic up a nail and have to replace a tire.... there all is right now:rofl_200:

Brian,

You need to forward that website to your buddies!!!!!:biglaugh: Your avatar pic just begs to be shown in real size!!! Ooooops, almost hijacked a thread so, sucks to pic up a nail and have to replace a tire.... there all is right now:rofl_200:

Nice foot work!! :rofl_200:

I got a nail in my new Avon rear when I first put it on 75 miles on it. I asked another forum about plugging it everybody freaked out. I pluged it anyhow close to 5000 miles later it still is working just fine. I also put a plug in the front a few thousand ago. I installed hundredes of plugs in tires in my college days working at a gass station and never had a problem :confused2:. I doubt you ride any harder than me.

Well I have run with plugs in a motorcycle tire before and never experienced any problems. But that was a very different bike, less weight( the bike and me), and radial tires. Just makes me really nervous to do it this time. So since I have already located a tire locally for 150 and it is only 26 bucks to get it mounted on the rim I am gonna go with it.
Since I have to remove the rear wheel for this job. What is the axle nut supposed to be torqued to?

Since I have to remove the rear wheel for this job. What is the axle nut supposed to be torqued to?[/quote]

Axle nut-108 ft lbs
Caliper bolt-29 ft lbs
Brake torque rod nut-35 ft lbs
Pinch bolt-11 ft lbs

Per the 'Good Book'

Well thank you, even if they are made up numbers, they are probably better then me just guessing.

I wouldn't put more than 75 pounds onto the rear axle IMO. I put 54 on my Carrazzarios as per the wheels mfg. request.

Latest posts

Back